Prospect Info: At 15th Overall the Golden Knights Select Erik Brannstrom

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
He does say he tries model his game after EK. That said I think his upside is more of a more dynamic and better defensive Sami Vatanen or Torey Krug.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Will be interesting to see how he does at the WJC showcase that's just gotten underway. He was outplayed by Liljegren in his first game, but the next couple ought to be interesting.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Will be interesting to see how he does at the WJC showcase that's just gotten underway. He was outplayed by Liljegren in his first game, but the next couple ought to be interesting.

I'm not 100% sure but Brannstrom wasn't in the lineup that first game IIRC

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Apparently ripped it up vs Canada today in the WJ summer showcase.

And the one mention of Glass (didn't watch) was saying he was invisible.

Last edited:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

I'm not totally surprised...Glass didn't look too amazing at development camp. Maybe he's saving his energy for the regular season.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017

He will win the WJC Best defenceman this year. Don't see many others taking it from him. This kid is scary good and others are finally realizing.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Here's this:

Pretty pretty pretty good.

giphy.gif

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
That was pretty ridiculous. Kid has got some vision and skills, plus the balls to attempt that in the first place.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I just hope he works on zone defense as it comes to the smaller NA ice. He's plenty strong at defending in the rush but when the cycle play gets going he tends to get stuck.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
I just hope he works on zone defense as it comes to the smaller NA ice. He's plenty strong at defending in the rush but when the cycle play gets going he tends to get stuck.

Were you able to watch any of the games? I thought one of his strong suits defensively was positioning?

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Were you able to watch any of the games? I thought one of his strong suits defensively was positioning?

No I wasn't but it did remind me that in getting caught up in all his strengths at prospect camp he did have one issue. And when I say positioning I mean that once the puck has been in his zone for say longer than 20-30 seconds and the forwards established a cycle, Brannstrom pairing tended to get stuck defensively. He needs to get better at getting the puck out when the offense gets their offensive zone systems established. And I saw some people saying similar things about the WJC preview games. I'm only presuming that the transition to smaller ice is what's giving him problems. Brannstrom could be used to defending wider boxes and passing plays.

KenSinBin

Jul 8, 2016
LV, NV

I agree with this. Think he has an uncanny ability to use his body to get in the way in situations where he's undersized. I can't get enough of this guy.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I agree with this. Think he has an uncanny ability to use his body to get in the way in situations where he's undersized. I can't get enough of this guy.

On the rush and as the opposing offense is scrambling to get set up I completely agree. It's those times where the offense is able to get set up and run their passing plays that he kinda runs around a little. But that's absolutely coachable and he can smooth that wrinkle out in time.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
On the rush and as the opposing offense is scrambling to get set up I completely agree. It's those times where the offense is able to get set up and run their passing plays that he kinda runs around a little. But that's absolutely coachable and he can smooth that wrinkle out in time.

Agreed. Not a bad fault to have as it can be coachable like you said, and with added muscle he will be able to handle board battles better.

If defending the cycle as an 18 year old kid is the worst you've got, you've got a good one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->