At 13th, Leafs pick...

Covenant

Jun 4, 2006
After studying the info in THN Draft Preview, and considering the flaws contained by players rated in the area the Leafs will pick, I believe that the player the Leafs should draft is d-man Nick Petrecki. He may be the best player available at that point, if indeed he's still there when the Leafs pick. We may be stong at d now but these players are at least four years from the NHL in most cases. I don't believe a forward should be picked, from a need perspective, when the best player available could be a d-man.

Bill_Crosby*

I would say forward. They have White, Stalman (sp?), Cola. All of whom may be 2-3-4 guys. They have crappy forwards, they need some skill IMO.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
I would say forward. They have White, Stalman (sp?), Cola. All of whom may be 2-3-4 guys. They have crappy forwards, they need some skill IMO.

Agreed. They have some very nice dman.

Look into Eller, Coture, Hamill, Esposito, Backlund.... Those are the players the Leafs need. Fowards with skill.

Covenant

Jun 4, 2006
While my preference would be a skilled forward as well, would you pass over a more talented prospect on defence for a lesser rated forward? I'm sure the teams drafting below the Leafs would hope so.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Agreed. They have some very nice dman.

Look into Eller, Coture, Hamill, Esposito, Backlund.... Those are the players the Leafs need. Fowards with skill.

From what I've heard if Couture is still available at #11 don't expect him to last past that.

That said, those are all players I'd say the Leafs should look into with their first pick. They could use another solid offensive type and there are plenty of those available in that area.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Drafting for a perceived need is what made the Leafs take Luke Richardson over Joe Sakic, who was their second choice.

I'm obviously not making any comparisons to this year player or draft wise, but you should ALWAYS, ALWAYS take the best player available.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Drafting for a perceived need is what made the Leafs take Luke Richardson over Joe Sakic, who was their second choice.

I'm obviously not making any comparisons to this year player or draft wise, but you should ALWAYS, ALWAYS take the best player available.

exactly:handclap:

All_blueandwhite

Apr 15, 2007
We have a good crop of defensemen for now, what we need is offense. at 13th there will still probably be some decent offensive talent available, so our best bet is too pick one of them up.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
So get another D... and have a lack of skilled forwards?

if a d-man is the best player available then, yes. pick him. if you pick a skilled forward now, it means he is ready to contribute to your team in about 4-5 years. do you think the teams situation is exactly the same in 4-5 years?? no. its not. by that time you may be stacked with skilled forwards, thats why you should ALLWAYS pick the best player available.:)

Salgari

Apr 29, 2004
www.myspace.com
if a d-man is the best player available then, yes. pick him. if you pick a skilled forward now, it means he is ready to contribute to your team in about 4-5 years. do you think the teams situation is exactly the same in 4-5 years?? no. its not. by that time you may be stacked with skilled forwards, thats why you should ALLWAYS pick the best player available.:)

I agree with this. I would prefer a forward, but if a defenseman is the BPA, he should be the pick.

Bill_Crosby*

I think you are just trying to trip us up on a matter of semantics. How I read this thread is if you had a d-man or a forward of equal talent available, who should you pick?

Obviously if there is a defenseman available that is a fair bit better than anyone after him, you should grab him...

KLM-Line

May 8, 2007
Munich
you should ALWAYS, ALWAYS take the best player available

I agree. But the problem in some drafts or draft areas appear to exactly rank a young prospect. Take this year`s draft. While we miss the intriguing top end talent (still there is sorta consensus on the top5 or top 7) the 2007 draft becomes exciting in the range #6-#15. Lots of talent which is difficult to rank properly.

Concerning the D-prospects one might add that next years draft is supposed to have more and better defensive guys. Furthermore our defensive prospects will still be young when this years draft will have made the NHL...

I for one would go towards a forward with Leafs pick. Need or BPA aside. Too much (potential) upside on these years forwards vs defense.

*still hoping for JFJ falling in luv with Sam Gagner* :naughty:

Last edited:

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
I think the Leafs could use a young d-man White, Cola, Kronwall etc, to move up with their first pick to grab a big time scorer like Couture or Esposito.

daethfromabove1979

Jun 20, 2006
they need a scoring forward bad...

i like david perron, he is looking very good at the mem cup right now

lars eller also interests me, as well as maxim mayorov but i dont know much about him

Wetcoaster

Who is the most injury-prone mid-level first rounder???? There is the Leafs pick.:naughty:

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
So get another D... and have a lack of skilled forwards?
Yes, exactly.

The shortsightedness in picking for a need in a draft of 18 year old kids always boggles my mind. After drafting a skilled forward this year can you really think "Okay, good, that clears up that problem heading into the 07 season!"? No, neither player will probably be ready for 2-3 years, at best, and who knows what you will need then.

You're drafting assests.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Yes, exactly.

The shortsightedness in picking for a need in a draft of 18 year old kids always boggles my mind. After drafting a skilled forward this year can you really think "Okay, good, that clears up that problem heading into the 07 season!"? No, neither player will probably be ready for 2-3 years, at best, and who knows what you will need then.

You're drafting assests.

you are so right:handclap:

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
I think the Leafs could use a young d-man White, Cola, Kronwall etc, to move up with their first pick to grab a big time scorer like Couture or Esposito.

i really dont think they will have to move up to pick espo.:)

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
You pick BPA, but unless Alzner falls to us, I'd rather pick a forward unless Toronto is really high on a D then its understandable.

It's a toss up after the top 8 anyways in terms of the talent being spread through the first round.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
You pick BPA, but unless Alzner falls to us, I'd rather pick a forward unless Toronto is really high on a D then its understandable.

It's a toss up after the top 8 anyways in terms of the talent being spread through the first round.

u dont know how players wil develop.....eg .stralman .kulemin in the leafs minds both are 1st round value ..u take the best guy available always

Bill_Crosby*

u dont know how players wil develop.....eg .stralman .kulemin in the leafs minds both are 1st round value ..u take the best guy available always

Why even bother posting if you're just going to say "You don't know how players will develop"?. Scroll up and read my previous post.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad