Assuming a deal is reached....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Foley*

And a shortened season is played, what are your predictions as to the fates of both Bettman and Goodenow - would they stay, or would they go (and if they go, how would it happen) from their current positions.

I'm not looking so much for what you would want to happen, but what you think would happen (in other words, please use your brain, not your heart, in your response).

Please choose one response each for Bettman and Goodenow.

Thanks.

allelsefails

Mar 31, 2004
Canton, OH
I hate to say it, but I think Bettman will stay on. I'd rather he resign, but for some reason I think he'll be back.

I do see Goodenow resigning before being fired, as talks start within the PA, since it seems like he didn't represent the entire union during this monstrosity.

If I had my wish, I'd can both for this debacle.

Matt Foley*

Personally, I think Bettman will resign after this is over. For one, if the owners end up getting a reasonable salary cap (even without the linkage to revenues), then I can't see why they would fire him. That would certainly be a better deal for them vs. the one they had been working under. In addition, I can't see why he'd want to stick around after the CBA has been settled, as I don't see what he would gain from staying on as commish.

As for Goodenow, I don't think he'll last much longer in his role. In the end, the players have to look at the big picture, so to speak, and ask themselves, "Was the CBA that ended up being settled on worth all the grief we went through?" (moving families to where the work was, etc.). IMO, I think a lot of players will end up in effect saying, "We stood our ground for this?" and vote Goodenow out (if he resigns, I think it will be under extreme pressure from the players; I don't sense he would do it for the good of the game).

These are just my thoughts - who knows what will happen when this is all done. I hope that in the end both men do the honorable thing and resign in order to give the league a clean slate both internally and from a PR standpoint going forward.

Hemooli

Jan 25, 2005
www.csfbl.com
Matt Foley said:
Personally, I think Bettman will resign after this is over. For one, if the owners end up getting a reasonable salary cap (even without the linkage to revenues), then I can't see why they would fire him. That would certainly be a better deal for them vs. the one they had been working under. In addition, I can't see why he'd want to stick around after the CBA has been settled, as I don't see what he would gain from staying on as commish.

If Bettman resigns, I doubt it'll be because he has nothing to gain as commish. Does Tagliabue gain anything by being the commish of the NFL? Not really. For that reason, I think he'll stay.

Goodenow, however, will almost certainly not be around for much longer.

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
Both have to go.

Goodenow bet over a $1b of the players money on a bluff and lost.

Bettman has done such a bad job, does anyone believe the NHL is in a better state now than it was when he took over? He has to go for the piss poor product on the ice, not his handling of the CBA talks.

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
Godenow can stay or go IMO... maybe the players will b angry, and force him out, but the league will be OK until the next CBA with him.

Bettman has to go. He's OK in war, but the league has a big problem when the players have zero respect for the commish.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
they will both stay on. they were paid to a do a job, and as far as the the players and owners are concerned - they did that job. we are the only ones pissed at them. the owners dont care that the players hate bettman, and the players love that the owners hate goodenow. you pay people to do your dirty work for you.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
They'll be can because the FANS think they both ought to be canned=simple PR/marketing "IMAGE" makeover needed..plus JR and the boys furious at Goodenogh for dropping his "philosophical" line in the sand at this very late date when he could have moved off it and negotiated properly much earlier,and the FANS see Bettman as scrambling to recover from the mess he got the league into in the 1st place with his promise of expansion=big t.v. $$$...BOTH must go!

Jeremy Roenick . should offer himself up for both vacant jobs--to the highest bidder of course!

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Both need to get replaced. I dont care if there fired or resign. The NHL needs a whole new face after a deal is reached. These 2 cannot be the poster boys anymore.

Crows*

I have a feeling Bettman may resign after he gets the cap.

Get the cap and leave his and the last thing he did was get a cap.

SedinFan*

Battousai said:
I have a feeling they'll both stay.

Bettman's going to get what he wants (a cap), so he'll please most of the owners, whereas Goodenhow has pissed off players, just listen to the comments of Redden, Barnaby etc...

Crows*

ozzieoiler said:
So who do you replace Bettman with?

I don't know. But I do know who you don't replace him with,

A short, snotty lawyer from New york.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
why in the world would Bettman resign ?

He is carrying out a business plan as agreed upon by his employers.

What he is doing and what we all think of it has no bearing on anything.

It's just business . In other industries, meeting goals and objectives for CEO usually gets them more $$$$ and power. Not a resignation.

StarsPensFan

Mar 13, 2004
Cowtown, Texas
Gee Wally said:
why in the world would Bettman resign ?

He is carrying out a business plan as agreed upon by his employers.

What he is doing and what we all think of it has no bearing on anything.

It's just business . In other industries, meeting goals and objectives for CEO usually gets them more $$$$ and power. Not a resignation.

Exactly...I don't get it...much as I might dislike him personally, he's acting according to what the owners have agreed is in the best interests of their investment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->