OT: Assorted Other Sports Thread

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
When I opened my phone there was a news story about Cano being suspended for 80 games for testing positive for a drug that is banned because it could be used to mask other drugs. It didn't mention if he has a history of testing positive, but he did have an excuse for having the drug in his system.

Am I the only one who things it is a bit crazy that a drug infraction can lead to a much harsher suspension than an intentional head shot?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Yeah what the hell is that guy talking about, Italy was arguably the strongest nation in the 2000s.

They were still boring as hell to watch.

They are the Devils of football. Boring and effective. But at least the Devils had exciting players!

Thankfully they aren't qualified for this World Cup. Gooooo Belgium!

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
How dare you diminish the last golden era of Italian soccer. We had some stacked teams. We prefer tactically sound, not defensive. Possession over kick and run.
dont get me started on the azzurri. a joke. from the FIGC to the players all the way down

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
They were still boring as hell to watch.

They are the Devils of football. Boring and effective. But at least the Devils had exciting players!

Thankfully they aren't qualified for this World Cup. Gooooo Belgium!
im italian and yeah im happy theyre not in the world cup. possibly because i have no emotional attachment to the country and also they needed a disaster like this to rebuild (they wont learn from their mistakes)

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
More when we have the ball, it is calculated not run and gun.

Catenaccio won us a World Cup, but cant say 2006 was as bad as previous Italian instalments. 2002 squad was pretty stacked in all areas.
an overrated group/easy road to the semi final/cannavaro won us the cup

2002 team was good but trapatoni was not the right man for that team. Plus that tournament was horribly corrupt. But whatever, the Italians and Juventus players on that team got a taste of their own medicine for once.

Reactions: QuietOnTheFront

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
it was a fair final and Italy won fair and square.. but france was the best team in that tournament

Oh, I didn't mean robbed on a call (at least not that I can remember, it was a long time ago), just robbed in a moral sense. I guess similarly to the last Euro. I was just livid at Italy's negative play while France was putting their all into winning. I know that's how the game goes. Not infrequently. But it felt like injustice all the same.

Reactions: Burrowsaurus

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Oh, I didn't mean robbed on a call (at least not that I can remember, it was a long time ago), just robbed in a moral sense. I guess similarly to the last Euro. I was just livid at Italy's negative play while France was putting their all into winning. I know that's how the game goes. Not infrequently. But it felt like injustice all the same.
ah yeah . my teams have been on both sides over the years. its sort of funny. Player development in Italy has totally gone down the drain but more specifically they almost completely stopped spitting out elite level center backs and started producing more creative players (not elite ones, just relative to amount of defenders now) so the old style of play does not suit this new wave of italians AT ALL, yet old school coaches keep trying it.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
im italian and yeah im happy theyre not in the world cup. possibly because i have no emotional attachment to the country and also they needed a disaster like this to rebuild (they wont learn from their mistakes)

Sounds like a trip to the home country is in order!

I agree it is good for Italy to miss this year, although as an Italian myself, it pains me to see a lot of good players miss due to chronic mismanagement and typical Italian stubbornness. Let's hope this exposes Italian for what it is: mismanaged and aristocratic. The elitism and snobbery in Italy is very prevalent.

They have a lot of good players but need a better system moving forward.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Sounds like a trip to the home country is in order!

I agree it is good for Italy to miss this year, although as an Italian myself, it pains me to see a lot of good players miss due to chronic mismanagement and typical Italian stubbornness. Let's hope this exposes Italian for what it is: mismanaged and aristocratic. The elitism and snobbery in Italy is very prevalent.

They have a lot of good players but need a better system moving forward.
I believe most of the players are overrated. Especially the young ones.

Yeah it’s verrrry much a old boys club. From top to bottom. Not to mention you’ve had corrupt POS like Buffon running the team on the field no bueno

There’s some very important missing from player development in Italy. The answer might be as simply as money. I mean Italy produces a good player... Spain and Germany produced 50 players just like him that might just get lost int he shuffle

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
When I opened my phone there was a news story about Cano being suspended for 80 games for testing positive for a drug that is banned because it could be used to mask other drugs. It didn't mention if he has a history of testing positive, but he did have an excuse for having the drug in his system.

Am I the only one who things it is a bit crazy that a drug infraction can lead to a much harsher suspension than an intentional head shot?

He certainly didn't have a good excuse- he's a 35 year old who's been in the league forever, there's no way he should make such a foolish 'mistake' of putting something into his body that's banned by the MLB. Now with Teixeira coming out and saying he's not surprised by this, it makes me wonder how long he's been doping honestly. These guys have it hammered into their heads year after year that they need to know what they can and can't take. If you're unsure, make the phone call you need to make to ensure it's okay. I would guess he didn't make that call because he knew it was illegal and tried to get away with it.

The head shot vs. doping comparison is apples to oranges. All these sports leagues have severe punishments for drug infractions- the NHL bans first time offenders for 20 games. Not half the season like in baseball, but given the embarrassment that PEDs have caused baseball, it's no surprise that their punishment is harsher.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
89efd45bfed5a6f6f22b375bfb221f21--funny-football-quotes-funny-soccer-memes.jpg

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
What slays me is the way these guys openly lie when they get caught. Cano's statement, for instance, was a complete fairy tale. He inferred that he was taking the masking agent, errrrr, I mean diuretic for another purpose, and that he had somehow been by a technicality. The truth is that MLB doesn't suspend players just for the use of the diuretic - they also need evidence of PED use, which they obviously found. Pro sports teams also have extensive medical staffs, so these claims of players "accidentally" taking "supplements" (code for PEDs) that they didn't know about just aren't credible. Cano is just another drug cheat who won't tell the truth even when caught, same as all the others. I'd actually have a bit more respect for a dude who came clean and said, "Yeah, I did it." It would beat these ridiculous lies that fans and media are asked to believe time after time.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012

USA gets 60 games, Canada 10, Mexico 10.

First reaction: ewwww they are gonna play games in the Olympic Stadium.

Other Canadian venues are BMO and Commonwealth.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
World Cup being here is going to be crazy. Will be such a cool event to witness.

Hopefully Canada can become respectable in the next 8 years, would be nice to see them win a game or at least be competitive versus the big teams

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa

USA gets 60 games, Canada 10, Mexico 10.

First reaction: ewwww they are gonna play games in the Olympic Stadium.

Other Canadian venues are BMO and Commonwealth.

I thought Men's World Cup needs to be played on natural grass? Is Olympic stadium confirmed? It was embarrassing attending for the Woman's world cup, smelled like sewage and the concessions were literally pop up rubber made tables where they were uncapping bottles of beer.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Brooke Henderson is at it again, after winning the Canadian Open last week, she is currently 7 under par and tied for 3rd in the first round of the Cambia Portland Classic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad