OT: Assorted Other Sports Thread

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
That game last night had "Raptors of Old" written all over it, as Paul Pierce would say, they didn't have "it"

That was just a horrible close out.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Eh, no hitters are cool and all, but he still walked a few guys. I don't get as excited for them as most (and I'm a former ball player... with nowhere near the skill to have turned it into any kind of career, mind you). Perfect games, now those are special.

Yeah, no hitters are still pretty special.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
To me, a baserunner is a baserunner. As a pitcher, you still let the guy on base. What's the difference whether it was a walk or a single up the middle?

A walk can be an arbitrary call based on a specific umpire's strike zone, and most plate umps have slightly different strike zones. Thus, sometimes a walk isn't the fault of the pitcher's skill, so much as it can be a result of a subjective call from a non-player in the game. For instance, a pitcher trying to pick corners of the plate with one umpire might get three straight strikes called for him, or three straight balls, entirely depending on who is behind the plate.

A hit is more directly the result between the one-on-one "battle" between the hitter and the pitcher.

At least, that's the general argument behind it, or so it has been explained to me by the many pitchers I have played with (I also am a former ball player). Obviously, there is still luck involved in a no-hitter just as much as there is in a perfect game, the difference between a perfect game and a 3-hit shutout can sometimes be a game of inches so the slightest variance can have huge results, but pitchers love blaming the plate umpire for whatever they can get away with (former plate umpire here as well, by the way), so walks are sometimes played off as the ump's fault, not the player's fault.

There is more pride in a no-hitter because pitchers and players see it as more "pure".

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
To me, a baserunner is a baserunner. As a pitcher, you still let the guy on base. What's the difference whether it was a walk or a single up the middle?

That's why with a walk they lose the perfect game. Pitcher could be just been wild for one batter or maybe the ump made a bad call. A no hitter to me is still pretty special.

In the grand scheme of things, especially for the hitter, a walk and single is the same thing. But to go a whole game without allowing a hit is different.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Laffs to lose CHECK

Blue Jays to lose CHECK

Toronto FC to lose CHECK

Raptors to lose WRONG

OK 1 for 4

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Miami Dolphins got the steal of the draft.

Stupid Dolphins.

Packers desperately need CBs, was hoping he might fall to us based on other teams filling other needs.

Watch us move up in the first round now. Moved back to get two 1st rounders after the top-tier CBs are off the board, then use a 3rd round pick to move up for a guy we have high on our list.

Last edited:

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
LOL, Packers trade up to 18.

Called it.

*EDIT*

Packers trade the 27th overall, a 3rd and 6th rounders for the 18 overall and a 7th.

We essentially moved back 4 spots to upgrade a 3rd round pick to a 1st round pick? Hella-yes.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
My Jags picked Taven Bryan...and I think the hospital mixed up his birth certificate and wrote his name backwards but it just stuck.

Bryan Taven seems like it makes more sense.

Either way, Go Jags! Yay! Pass rush of doom! hootie hoo!

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Good timing for this thread to come back up.

God the Raptors are an embarrassment. What an absolutely pathetic display.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Good timing for this thread to come back up.

God the Raptors are an embarrassment. What an absolutely pathetic display.

Would have been interesting to see what the series would have looked like if they didn't absolutely choke out/gift that first game of the series, the unravelling in the first game was incredible to watch!

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
I still don't get why the Raptors in game 1 kept shooting for 3s when they were ahead by so much (and were inconsistent at getting them in)!!?? Why not just keep getting twos until at least the opponent gains a bit of ground!? If you can't hit a 3, then just go for 2. I mean isn't 2 better than 0 anyways?? My math isn't my strong suit nor is basketball

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
If anyone saw Michael Jordan beating every team he played with the Bulls they would understand Lebraun James. You can't stop him and their really is no point worrying about how to beat him. You can't.

Reactions: topshelf15

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I still can't get into pro basketball.

It's as unwatchable as golf is for me. Enjoy playing it, but can't watch more than 3 minutes of it before falling asleep.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad