OT: Association Football Thread II (All Soccer Talk Here!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
Hoping Liverpool kills Madrid in this final, not holding my breath though. If Liverpool wins there is a great chance that Salah will win Fifa's best player Award, who would ever thought that at the beginning of the season?

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I hope Ronaldo saves a goal with a handball ala Suarez in the WC, and scores one ala Henry in the WCQ. Just for the lulz.

Reactions: darko

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Buzzing that LFC are in the Final, not a fan of they way they ended the 2nd half and conceding 4 total against Roma but they got through. Real Madrid was always gonna be tough but to be the best you have to beat the best, and the way they’ve been finishing they should be able to hang with them offensively. Anything can happen in a Final and I’m still pumped and I can’t wait to head to a Liverpool bar on the 26th. Allez Allez Allez.

Also, haven’t seen it mentioned here but LFC is playing Man City at MetLife in NJ on July 25th in the ICC. Cheapest seats I saw were around 75 or so but I grabbed a pair in the upper deck but on the midline for 90 each.

LFC is playing Dortmund down here in Charlotte on Sunday the 22nd at 4 PM. Cheapest tickets are $35. I'm debating it. My daughter really wants to go, and I'd like to, but it really is just a pre-season friendly and most likely guys from the reserve squads will be playing with maybe a Salah coming on in the 75th minute.

We went to the LFC - AC Milan match a few years ago here. LFC won 2-0, but it was exceptionally boring, uncomfortably hot, and took about 3 hours to get home from (live 9 miles from Bank of America Stadium) because Charlotte's public transportation sucks, and I was not about to pay $50 to park...

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Going to Rome next week. Trying to get tickets at the Olimpico for Roma-Juve. Anyone ever been? Any recommendation on where to sit? The team hasn’t released tickets yet. I’ve heard to go directly through the team and not secondary markets/websites.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Congrats, Arsene! Have a lovely retirement.

Always have a soft spot for Arsenal because they hate everyone we hate.

Reactions: Loff

sabremike

Dr. K Forever!!!
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Scum spend 12 million quid to acquire Wayne Rooney, LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Now they just need to give ratfaced Ben Olsen a lifetime contract!!!

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Hard to believe Rooney is younger than Bradley Wright Phillips. He's aged horribly in terms of play.

He could be a useful player if they put him in the withdrawn forward spot, but that amount of cash is silly season stuff.

sabremike

Dr. K Forever!!!
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Hard to believe Rooney is younger than Bradley Wright Phillips. He's aged horribly in terms of play.

He could be a useful player if they put him in the withdrawn forward spot, but that amount of cash is silly season stuff.
It's just such a dumb strategy to spend stupid money on Euro dinosaurs who are past it. The smart thing is to do what teams like us or Atlanta are doing by signing young South Americans who can tear the league up as DP's. Even the local branch of Blood Money FC has abandoned the Euro dinosaur approach and switched to that one. Now I just want to see them give ratfaced walking tub of herpes Ben Olsen a lifetime contract so he can continue his glorious work in making them total crap.

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
Rooney probably isn't much better than your average MLS player at this point. Having said that, if he puts people in the stands, I'll welcome him to the league. He's a fun villain to root against. I guess the fact that he's only played for Liverpool rivals probably has something to do with why I see him as a bit of a villain :laugh:

Reactions: Rangers in 7

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
You have to build a team around star players who can't run any more, but offer high level playmaking or finishing abilities.

Chicago did it well with Schweinsteiger in a 3 man center midfield, players like Dempsey and Henry were sheltered in a withdrawn forward role with less running.

Guys like Pirlo and Marquez had less successful adaptations, in part because the manager refused to build the team around them to accommodate their lack of mobility.

You can really only get away with one of those types of players per roster.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Rooney probably isn't much better than your average MLS player at this point. Having said that, if he puts people in the stands, I'll welcome him to the league. He's a fun villain to root against. I guess the fact that he's only played for Liverpool rivals probably has something to do with why I see him as a bit of a villain :laugh:
Lol.

He's still way better than any MLS player besides maybe Zlatan and Giovinco.

sabremike

Dr. K Forever!!!
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Lol.

He's still way better than any MLS player besides maybe Zlatan and Giovinco.
For starters the South Americans Atlanta brought in are way better than Rooney is at this point. In this area both Villa and Maxi on boy city are better, and for us Kaku is for sure better. The idea of Rooney facing our press is hilarious, I can just imagine his workrate in July heat. The way the eurosnobs look down on MLS is hysterical.

Reactions: Basement Cat

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Scum spend 12 million quid to acquire Wayne Rooney, LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Now they just need to give ratfaced Ben Olsen a lifetime contract!!!
Mate you talk about us like we assaulted your mother. When the new pitch opens up come down and watch a game with the District Ultras, the tailgating is great and I'll buy you a beer after the game.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
For starters the South Americans Atlanta brought in are way better than Rooney is at this point. In this area both Villa and Maxi on boy city are better, and for us Kaku is for sure better. The idea of Rooney facing our press is hilarious, I can just imagine his workrate in July heat. The way the eurosnobs look down on MLS is hysterical.

There will be elements of Rooney's quality, such as vision, smarts, and finishing ability, that will be way above the normal MLS standard.

The question for a lot of these guys is how badly their age hurts them. Not dissimilar from hockey. MLS is still not a top tier league but the standard for physical fitness is very high with the style that is played here.

I think how well Rooney does depends on how much DC are willing to accommodate him. If 35 year old Dempsey can do well in a sheltered 2nd striker role, I could see the same for Rooney. In theory, Rooney should be better than Clint.

sabremike

Dr. K Forever!!!
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Mate you talk about us like we assaulted your mother. When the new pitch opens up come down and watch a game with the District Ultras, the tailgating is great and I'll buy you a beer after the game.
For starters in 2006 a group of your fans attacked some of my friends and bloodied one by throwing a bottle at his head from behind. And I thought the District Ultras were now persona non grata like Bara Brava after the scheming chickens maneuvered to make themselves the only officially recognized supporters group? Boy city is our league mandated "official" rival but our real rival will ALWAYS be DC.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
It's not looking down on MLS... Rooney was still a very productive player for Everton this year. I highly doubt any MLS player can score 10 EPL goals this season besides healthy Zlatan.

There's a chance he can pull a Gerrard and coast, but I doubt it. He's only 32.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
For starters in 2006 a group of your fans attacked some of my friends and bloodied one by throwing a bottle at his head from behind. And I thought the District Ultras were now persona non grata like Bara Brava after the scheming chickens maneuvered to make themselves the only officially recognized supporters group? Boy city is our league mandated "official" rival but our real rival will ALWAYS be DC.
Every fanbase, every sport, has some unsavory elements, yours included. I'm sorry that happened to your buddy though.

As far as what DCU did with the Screaming Eagles, yeah, that's some shit. There's reason to believe something more reasonable can be worked out in the future, but it really doesn't matter to me anyway as Ultras don't have the numbers of Eagles and Barra Brava and are never going to have much say.

darko

Feb 16, 2009

Didn't know you were part of Ultras.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->