OT: Association Football Thread II (All Soccer Talk Here!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
I don't know what it is about Man U. but they really just burn a lot of good players. Falcao is a world class scorer and they do not play to his strengths. It's ridiculous.

That said I was kind of down on seeing American players quote on quote "fail" in Europe. It just makes me feel hopeless like we can't learn a sport that we should be at least decent at considering we have world class athletes who are influenced by every playing style in the world considering the backgrounds of all the players here. It's a tragedy really. But the only way to fix that is to strengthen the MLS. And I have no idea how to do that.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't know what it is about Man U. but they really just burn a lot of good players. Falcao is a world class scorer and they do not play to his strengths. It's ridiculous.

That said I was kind of down on seeing American players quote on quote "fail" in Europe. It just makes me feel hopeless like we can't learn a sport that we should be at least decent at considering we have world class athletes who are influenced by every playing style in the world considering the backgrounds of all the players here. It's a tragedy really. But the only way to fix that is to strengthen the MLS. And I have no idea how to do that.

Falcao just isn't the player he was before his knee injury. His play at Monaco after the injury was the same thing. Man U probably didn't pick up on this. The two players that are being played out of position are Rooney and Di Maria. They've got decent attacking options, but Van Gaal needs to stop playing many of them out of position.

As for American players "failing" in Europe, I don't agree. If you look at some of the players that came back to MLS, most of them had high quality options. Altidore was leaving Sunderland and decided on MLS over other European teams for $$$$ reasons. Bradley was unhappy with his playing time. Roma wasn't necessarily looking to sell him, but he asked for a transfer, and the highest bidder was MLS. Tottenham wasn't looking to sell Dempsey, nor was he asking for a transfer. He was doing well with their team, but MLS came in with a crazy bid. The fee was too much for Tottenham to turn down and the money was too much for Dempsey to turn down.

Deric

Oct 24, 2008
Orlando, FL
So you guys think this MLS stuff is for real? Allegedly they sold 60,000 tickets for here in Orlando at the Citrus Bowl today.

Deric

Oct 24, 2008
Orlando, FL
Personal unpopular opinion of mine : I think the majority of American soccer "fans" are fake fans in that they don't really enjoy the game as a sport, but they just pretend to bc they think it's cool or hip and its fun to hang out and drink overpriced beers from other countries and micro brews and wear scarfs and ****.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
Personal unpopular opinion of mine : I think the majority of American soccer "fans" are fake fans in that they don't really enjoy the game as a sport, but they just pretend to bc they think it's cool or hip and its fun to hang out and drink overpriced beers from other countries and micro brews and wear scarfs and ****.

yeah ur right. that is an unpopular opinion.

LittleKev6D9

Unregistered User
Dec 14, 2011
Middletown

What the hell?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

Tell that to the sore throat I got screaming at Liverpool today.

Narcissus

Jul 4, 2009

A lot of things you likely find exciting about hockey are found in soccer. The build up, the quick transitions, the difficulty in scoring goals, the intricacy and beauty that lead to goals. Etc

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
TBH guys, we got a pretty talented attack but I really think we are going to struggle this season. We lack talent in defensive positions.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Where's the balls on this NYCFC team?

Goalie gets pushed into the post head first and the guy still kicks it into the net after the whistle?

Psh.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
well see what happens in the summer. they do have another DP spot i believe.

So lets say we got Xavi like rumored, how does that help our defense at all?

Looking at our defense objectively, there is not one defender or goalie on the roster that is actually good. We have a bunch of stop gap players, but when you have too many of those types of players, it usually adds up to a bad defense. To put it in hockey terms, we have a bunch of #4/#5 defenseman, no #1, #2 or even #3's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad