OT: Association Football Thread II (All Soccer Talk Here!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Thats the way non-salary capped sports works. You're a Yankees fan, you should know how it is.

I'd be in favor of some type of salary cap. Not like a hard cap, but something that would make some of these leagues more competitive, as well as the Champions League.

Baseball has a salary cap and the only league with more parity than MLB is the NHL, but MLB is trending up every year and that gap is closing.

I know "boo hoo the Yankees" is the narrative everyone likes, but they have one championship in the last 17 years, following their dynasty built almost entirely on drafted talent.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Baseball has a salary cap and the only league with more parity than MLB is the NHL, but MLB is trending up every year and that gap is closing.

I know "boo hoo the Yankees" is the narrative everyone likes, but they have one championship in the last 17 years, following their dynasty built almost entirely on drafted talent.

There's no salary cap in baseball, just a luxury tax which is not remotely the same. The Yanks spend a measley $200 million/year which is about the same as the Red Sox and the Tigers. The difference between what the dodgers spend and what the yanks spend is about the same as the difference between the yanks and mets payroll. If you look at the 25 man roster the yanks payroll isn't even that high after you exclude McAnn's and A-rods salaries. Meanwhile the Brewers are in 1st place with the lowest payroll in baseball.

Anyway, I have no idea how you can have a salary cap in soccer. It's one thing to have a cap in a domestic league (like MLS does) but once you include international competitions I just can't see how it would be feasible.

McD37

Oct 10, 2016

Ever since I saw this, it pops up in my mind when someone mentions USA and football/soccer. :laugh:

To be honest tho, I have grown very fond of Am. football and generally catch the Giants game each week. Same thing regarding baseball, this is by no means meant to bash anything.

Without trying to step on any toes, I wonder if it might be because soccer/football isn't "theirs". Am. football, basket, baseball and hockey were all born in North America, so the feeling of ownership and patriotism comes into play.

Since those four are so big, the American leagues are also by far the best in the world. That's probably a huge factor as well. If you can go watch am. football, baseball, basket or hockey at the top level, why would you care about a, compared to many Euro and South American ones, mediocre soccer league? If I wasn't raised to love soccer, I know I wouldn't. (I have no illusions that the Norwegian one is any better. We were once ranked second best among the national teams and were flooding top Euro leagues with players. Now we are absolute crap).

Very good points. I agree with you. But I like MLS to be honest. It is not very good league in terms of talent but the games I catch are all very entertaining, I really have fun watching it (that is all you need post 11 pm looking for something to watch on TV :laugh:)

So Odegaard is like your football version of Zucc :). He has star potential and I hope he reaches it. Real Madrid fan here :)

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The German National Program is just a vicious killing machine.

They can make noise at any tournament with any 23 Germans because that's the system. From youth all the way up, the country is just bred for tournament play.

YetAnotherNorwegian

Nov 1, 2010
The German National Program is just a vicious killing machine.

They can make noise at any tournament with any 23 Germans because that's the system. From youth all the way up, the country is just bred for tournament play.

That's an old rule of thumb:

Football is a game of 11 against 11 for 90 minutes, and in the end, Germany wins.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
USMNT. Man. I hate this "any win is a good win" mentality. I don't care if it's the B or C team, it's ****ing Martinique and they need to play to better results. They need to go in expecting to win and expecting to do so in convincing fashion. We will never progress as a footballing nation if we don't adjust our mentality. I half expect the players to be receiving participation trophies as we speak.

Sometimes I truly believe I hold my group of U11 boys to higher standards than the Federation holds the USMNT to.

sabremike

Dr. K Forever!!!
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
What exactly can you expect from a lineup with freaking Juan Aguedelo as the starting striker? And you may laugh but I wouldn't be shocked in the least if Martinique got a result vs Panama. Some of their players were the real winners last night because they will be getting calls from MLS, USL and NASL teams.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Attended an absolutely wonderful match at Yankee Stadium today.

It's still nowhere near as crisp as Europe, but MLS has really made strides in terms of offering an entertaining product.

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
Attended an absolutely wonderful match at Yankee Stadium today.

It's still nowhere near as crisp as Europe, but MLS has really made strides in terms of offering an entertaining product.

Saturday's game was thrilling. One of David Villa's NYC FC career highlights for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->