OT: Association Football Thread II (All Soccer Talk Here!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I disagree. Think its detrimental for his career. I just hope all this detriment to the careers of some of the best American players and the US Mens National Team actually improves MLS and people start caring about the league.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Maybe for MLS fans and the league in general, but probably not for Diskerud's career and the US Mens National Team.

Will be cool to have him playing for NYCFC. Definitely a very good player and an interesting character.

If the United States is to be competitive in the long run, we need to make our own league better, not run to Europe with every good player.

SixGoalieSystem

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2011
Trondheim
Mix Diskerud signs for NYCFC. Sounds like he had interest from some better leagues. Wonder why he chose NYCFC.

Dude played on my fav soccer team the last few years.

He's a strange fellow. Really corky, and he cares more about his career after soccer, than making the most money while playing. He wants to try living in the US, being a US citizen, but having lived in Norway all his life. Wants to connect with his American roots, to use a cliché.

He's a goofy, good guy, somewhat of a nerd (went with jersey number 42, if you get the reference), and likes to take care of the fans. He'll come up with silly but appreciated stunts like paying for the supporter club's celebration party or setting up shop on the town square, selling season tickets ( he really did that, through no initiative from the club). Insists on being called Mix instead of his name "Mikkel Diskerud", because he doesn't want his name to be associated with soccer when he joins the world of business.

He's a solid player, hard working, a good eye for the game, but takes too much time with the ball at times. TBH he won't be too missed. Good guy, good player, but not the best guy to deal with in negotiations and not having his semi-crook father around will be a relief.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
If the United States is to be competitive in the long run, we need to make our own league better, not run to Europe with every good player.

I agree. Just think its hurts the National Team in the immediate future and helps in the long term. I guess that has to happen at some point, so maybe this is the time.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Dude played on my fav the last few years.

He's a strange fellow. Really corky, and he cares more about his career after soccer, than making the most money while playing. He wants to try living in the US, being a US citizen, but having lived in Norway all his life. Wants to connect with his American roots to use a cliché.

He's a goofy, good guy, somewhat of a nerd (went with jersey number 42, if you get the reference), and likes to take care of the fans. He'll come up with silly but appreciated stunts like paying for the supporter club's celebration party or setting up shop on the town square, selling season tickets ( he really did that, through no initiative from the club). Insists on being called Mix instead of his name "Mikkel Diskerud", because he doesn't want his name to be associated with soccer when he joins the world of business.

He's a solid player, hard working, a good eye for the game, but takes too much time with the ball at times. TBH he won't be too missed. Good guy, good player, but not the best guy to deal with in negotiations and not having his semi-crook father around will be a relief.

Yup, I agree. He's the type that'll be a massive fan favorite and he's a good player. Think its a good signing.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Mix wont be a DP so NYCFC will be able to sign another one assuming Frank Lampard comes over in the summer.

Yes, I think a central defender should be a priority given George John's problems to stay healthy. Even if George John stays healthy, I'm not sure we have another starting quality CB on the team.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Any of you guys Red Bull fans that attended that town hall meeting? Saw a recorded version of it on the internet. That has to be the craziest interaction I've ever seen between a sports franchise and its fans.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA

2 DP spots open from Henry and Cahill departures. I want Rosicky to play here, who's contract expires after this season.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Come on down Xavi :sarcasm:

I bet those spots will be filled by some completely underwhelming signings. The Red Bulls have literally done just about everything they can this offseason to alienate their fans. I guess that Supporter's Shield from two seasons ago was nice. The franchise is cursed.

nyrmetros

May 3, 2007
Any of you guys Red Bull fans that attended that town hall meeting? Saw a recorded version of it on the internet. That has to be the craziest interaction I've ever seen between a sports franchise and its fans.

I had a few friends that went. They said it was hilarious.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Man United absolutely stole a point. They had no business getting one. Horrific display.

ArPanet

May 3, 2012
LVG idk gtfo ? maybe that team doesnt look like they support each other out there

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Man U underachieving once again.

Di Maria, Falcao, and van Persie, in that order, have been huge disappointments. Has Di Maria done anything since October? It seems like ages since he's been on the scoresheet. At least Falcao is only a loan. Let Madrid overpay for him.

van Persie is finished. Left today's game on crutches, he looks old out there.

I can't really fault the defense. They're playing to expectation. Rojo and Smalling are being asked to play larger roles than they are ready for. Actually, just about everyone is. There's only so much that one of the best goalies in the world can do. He has an average at best defense and has received very little goal support.

I would be shocked to see them in Champions League next year. Even if they make it, I don't see the team being fixed enough over the summer to qualify two years in a row.

My shopping list is as follows:

Defense: Two of Hummels, Varane, Mussachio, Marquinhos, Laporte, Danilo

Midfield: Two of Strootman, Vidal, Tielmanns, Pogba (yeah right), Pjanic

Forward: one of Lacazette or Dybala. Move Rooney back to the ten position or striker.

Out: Falcao, van Persie, Valencia, Rafael, Evans

Herrera and Mata should be starting next game. Di Maria should sit.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Not only that, but they have a brutal fixture to end the season.

Tottenham (h) Liverpool (a) Man City (h) Chelsea (a) Everton (a) Arsenal (h)

TheRedViper

Dec 12, 2008
Niagara

Di Maria, Falcao, and van Persie, in that order, have been huge disappointments. Has Di Maria done anything since October? It seems like ages since he's been on the scoresheet. At least Falcao is only a loan. Let Madrid overpay for him.

I can't really fault the defense. They're playing to expectation. Rojo and Smalling are being asked to play larger roles than they are ready for. Actually, just about everyone is. There's only so much that one of the best goalies in the world can do. He has an average at best defense and has received very little goal support.

I would be shocked to see them in Champions League next year. Even if they make it, I don't see the team being fixed enough over the summer to qualify two years in a row.

Forward: one of Lacazette or Dybala. Move Rooney back to the ten position or striker.

Definitely need upgrades but didn't they play well today despite not getting goals?

BarbaraAlphanse

Van Gaal is a temporary coach. We saw when they played South Hampton that he's not as prepared as he lets on. He has a system that he's stubborn with. Not many adjustments. He's a 2-3 year guy that overhauls a team and their identity - the next coach will reap the benefits.

Hummels, Varane, and Pogba - they're all on my wish list. They help.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Van Gaal is a temporary coach. We saw when they played South Hampton that he's not as prepared as he lets on. He has a system that he's stubborn with. Not many adjustments. He's a 2-3 year guy that overhauls a team and their identity - the next coach will reap the benefits.

Hummels, Varane, and Pogba - they're all on my wish list. They help.

I can't see Varane leaving Real and Pogba will probably break the transfer record fee. I do agree that Hummels will be Manchester bound in the near future.

BarbaraAlphanse

I can't see Varane leaving Real and Pogba will probably break the transfer record fee. I do agree that Hummels will be Manchester bound in the near future.

Just keep doling out the $$. :nod:

Need dem players.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

I think Hummels, Marquinhos and Strootman are all Man U bound in the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad