OT: Association Football Thread II (All Soccer Talk Here!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Sorry but the way they've played this season that deserved to be the first post in the thread. :laugh:

BarbaraAlphanse

Rumor is Bale to Utd. for a 88 mill euro fee. Hazard to Real afterwards.

Don't know how I feel. We need defense, not more wingers.

Although, must say Valencia is horrid on the right side.

Vidic15*

Rumor is Bale to Utd. for a 88 mill euro fee. Hazard to Real afterwards.

Don't know how I feel. We need defense, not more wingers.

Although, must say Valencia is horrid on the right side.

I disagree, Rust. It pains me to see Valencia and Young on our wing, even though both were influencial today. Where did you get the Bale rumor from?

BarbaraAlphanse

I disagree, Rust. It pains me to see Valencia and Young on our wing, even though both were influencial today. Where did you get the Bale rumor from?

Young and Valencia... *shudders*. Valencia is so painful to watch, I agree.

But on the left, Di Maria should normally slot in there over Young.

I guess the hope is that Januzaj slots in on the right, eventually. He's only like 19/20.

With defensive woes... I just don't know how pertinent it is to spend 88 mill euros on another winger.

What about Falcao? Just abandoning him? We'll need him, RVP and Rooney are losing a step. Rooney has essentially become a central midfielder because he lacks the explosion he used to have. RVP getting slower starts, becoming invisible in more games than is usual for him.

And the defense?

Would be an incredible signing though - would really reinforce this new regime.

Vidic15*

I think Reus goes to Real. Hazard to PSG. Bale possibly to Chelsea to replace Hazard. I have a suspicion that we will go back in on Cuadrado. Also, Memphis Depay from PSV.

We need an experienced CB desperately, and one that isn't crocked all the time like all our defenders usually are.

BarbaraAlphanse

I think Reus goes to Real. Hazard to PSG. Bale possibly to Chelsea to replace Hazard. I have a suspicion that we will go back in on Cuadrado. Also, Memphis Depay from PSV.

We need an experienced CB desperately, and one that isn't crocked all the time like all our defenders usually are.

Realistically we need 2 defenders. Shaw will get a fair shake at left back for a while, and hopefully be an absolute stud.

Strootman for the midfield. Reading Sneijer was interested in coming, but that's been on and off now for like 5 years with nothing happening.

Cuadrado and Vidal have been linked to Utd since the summer.

Vidal is a gritty winger. Cuadrado has high upside potential but also a low floor. He'll be hit or miss, i'd liken his effectiveness to that of Balotelli's (most likely).

If we really have limitless funding right now (which I'm baffled that it is even a possibility given the club's reluctance to spend big for a while... perhaps since the Glazers involvement may no longer be as hands on with the club), and let's avoid the obvious elephant in the room (Messi), my dream list would certainly include Bale and Strootman, and several more defenders.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
What about Godin from Atletico for the Reds? Won't command a Hummels transfer fee but brings experience to the back end. A fully healthy defensive corps of Shaw, Rojo, Rafael, Evans, Jones, Smalling, and Godin should be CL material.

Strootman, if healthy, is my guy for CDM. Depay certainly has a very high ceiling, and makes sense with the van Gaal Dutch connection. He's more of a winger though, can he play striker?

Bale will come to Manchester one day. I just don't think it'll be next year. He'll want assurance of CL play before moving anywhere.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The problem for United is that so many teams are in need of CB's and there is such a shortage of good ones.

I can't think of a team around Europe that has four high quality CB's that have all managed to stay fit this season. Everyone's having CB problems and every team apparently is looking for help at CB. United's going to have to overpay for a CB, if they want to get someone good because every team is battling for the same CB's.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
What about Godin from Atletico for the Reds? Won't command a Hummels transfer fee but brings experience to the back end. A fully healthy defensive corps of Shaw, Rojo, Rafael, Evans, Jones, Smalling, and Godin should be CL material.

Strootman, if healthy, is my guy for CDM. Depay certainly has a very high ceiling, and makes sense with the van Gaal Dutch connection. He's more of a winger though, can he play striker?

Bale will come to Manchester one day. I just don't think it'll be next year. He'll want assurance of CL play before moving anywhere.

With this United side, Van Gaal should permanently ditch the three at the back. Its going to be very hard for him to obtain enough quality CB's for it to work on a consistent basis. You need five CB's of a high enough quality to pull that formation off on a consistent basis because players are going to get injured and suspended, and with European games likely coming for United after this season, they'll probably need to do a lot of rotating of their squad. You don't want to be put in a position where you are playing Evans, Blacklett and McNair in anything but the FA and Carling Cup games.

Vidic15*

How I long for the days of Ferdinand and Vidic in their prime. Best CB pairing since Nesta-Maldini, imo.

United play at their best in the 4-4-2 diamond midfield. LVG need to stick with that.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
How I long for the days of Ferdinand and Vidic in their prime. Best CB pairing since Nesta-Maldini, imo.

United play at their best in the 4-4-2 diamond midfield. LVG need to stick with that.

They were great, but I'd rather have Terry and Carvalho quite easily. That defense was ridiculous.

And with Makalele... goood lord.

Last edited:

BarbaraAlphanse

I happen to really like LVG's style. I'm really really tired of the Premier League 4-4-2, carry the ball up the wings and cross it, tactic. That tactic exists because it means there is less skill to be able to carry the ball up the center of the pitch.

Van Gaal's system, minus ****ing Valencia, aims to fluidly move the ball from area to area on the field. It really eliminates the need for low efficiency crosses.

It also adds a greater responsibility to our midfielders to come back and play defense. We're playing w/ some of the worst defenders, respectively speaking in terms of big time clubs, and we're being successful because of a strong commitment from our wingers to help... now imagine that we had capable defenders, too.

LVG's system helps our offense and defense... no way i'm in favor of going back to the same old brick 4-4-2 system.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Even when they're not doing so well, it's nice that you can always count on Arsenal and Liverpool to play a pretty damn good game.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA

I don't particularly like tying teams either, but it was a good game.

Oh it's not the result that I don't like, a point away at Anfield is pretty good.

Just the ugly quality of football displayed by Arsenal. Sterling was wreaking havoc on the Arsenal wingbacks. More than 60% possession against and a lot more shots against. Ugly, ugly football from the Gunners.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
liverpool deserved better from the game. outshot arsenal 27-6. corsi rating was very sustainable for long term success.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
liverpool deserved better from the game. outshot arsenal 27-6. corsi rating was very sustainable for long term success.

Story of Liverpool's season. Can't finish and concede goals on just about every decent chance they give up. Team barely needs a striker, a goalie, and another CB.

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
Not sure if this is old or what, but my fingers are still snapping. Wish we got this kind of audio from officials in the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->