As Promised, Flames ring the bells of change

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
CALGARY (CP): It's time for the Calgary Flames management team to take a breath. The flurry of trade activity, waiving players & new signings is almost over.

In the past two days, the Flames have pulled off several trades. Outgoing players include Dan Boyle, Jamie Lundmark, Danny Richmond, & Richard Zednik. Several draft picks were traded, including a first rounder and a few mid-round picks. Two million dollars will help to fill the coffers. Martin Gerber has been waived. Rumours fill the air that several teams made claims, although that process has yet to be completed.

"Don't get me wrong. This was a major restructure because of the financial situation," said the GM, "but I feel we've improved this hockey team. We've removed the dead weight that was occupying our fourth line, players like Zednik & Lundmark, who were overpaid at a million dollars for the fourth line. Their replacements more than fulfil the job."

"This team has one goal. To make the playoffs. I feel the deals we made have actually improved the team. We've added more of a component that was lacking in our defensive core, and I don't think we'll miss Dan Boyle at all. His scoring is way down and he's got that little issue in his own end."

In addtion to all the trades, the Flames have made overtures to defenseman Steve Eminger to join the team. The GM was happy about the moves "Even though Steve makes a rookie contract, we were so close to the cap prior to the moves that we couldn't afford the extra money. With twenty games gone, and with the extra 10 million under the cap, we'll be happy to welcome him to the dressing room," commented the GM.

Due to the fact that the league has yet to approve the trades, a press conference will be made later today to reveal the new Flames. Rumours are that the Flames have fortified their defensive capabilities, with both a top 4 defensmen and a pair of defensive forwards to help one of the leagues worst penalty kills. Another rumour has a twenty one year old prospect who is already playing in the NHL coming to the Flames, to add to Andrew Alberts, Brett Lebda, and Daniel Girardi as Flames defenseman not yet ready for full time HFNHL duty but plying their trade in the majors.

More moves may be on the horizon, despite the teams denials.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->