Article on how Goodenow lost hold on PA

Discussion in 'The Business of Hockey' started by SBJscribe, Jul 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SBJscribe

SBJscribe Registered User

2. SBJscribe

SBJscribe Registered User

3. Habsaholic

Habsaholic Registered User

good read

4. Sinurgy

Sinurgy Rebuilding

I think this quote about sums it up:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2005
  5. ti-vite

ti-vite Registered User

That pretty much sums it up...so does this (for all)

6. Sammy*

Sammy* Guest

Thats a great article.

7. JV

JV Registered User

na
    Home Page:
    Agree it was an excellent read.

The whole thing unfolded exactly as I didn't predict.

I predicted the owners would crack, not the players; that there would be no cap less than 50 million; and no direct link between revenue and payroll.

I despise Gary Bettman, but the guy assessed the situation clearly and stuck with the program.

This means most of the 30 teams will be viable. That's the bad news.

8. quat

quat winsome, loathsome

artist
    Home Page:
    Well written. After two years the deal would have been much better for the players... riiiiight.

9. handtrick

handtrick Registered User

hand surgeon
    I think this is a first on HF Boards that I can recall. The author of an article becomes a new member and posts his own article on HF Boards to elicit comments and possibly advertise his magazine/site. That...to me....hints at a little sliminess....

That being said, I agree with the others that it is an excellent read, well written, and articulate.

10. gobuds

gobuds Registered User

Home Page:

Bob, is that you?????????

Last edited: Jul 18, 2005
  11. GSC2k2*

GSC2k2* Guest

SBJ is a pretty well known publication in its field. This is not "his" magazine or site, to my knowledge. What this appears to be is an excellent freebie.

12. gobuds

gobuds Registered User

Home Page:

Except that to gain access to the site you must be a paid member, and it aint cheap to become one.

try going to the site and reading the same article- you can't.

13. GSC2k2*

GSC2k2* Guest

Well, that is what a freebie is. This article he has given us for free (because he wrote it).

you did read it via the second link provided, did you not?

Am i missing your point?

14. kdb209

kdb209 Registered User

First of all, kudos to SBJscribe.

He went out of his way to let us read this article for free. First he posted the whole article in another thread untill that ran afoul of the forum's copyright rules - even though he was the author. Then he went out of his way to post a direct link to allow us to bypass the site subscriber sign in and read it for free.

BTW, Great article, Andy.

15. Bob Goodenow is hilarious...i'm still waiting for the headline "Bob Goodenow Fired: NHLPA members suprised..."

:biglaugh:

16. bcrt2000

bcrt2000 Registered User

:biglaugh:

17. Timmy

Timmy Registered User

Awards:
    I wonder if the wives' shoe budgets are going to be capped...

18. thinkwild

thinkwild Veni Vidi Toga

Although i would be referred to by the unnuanced as pro-pa in the battle between good and evil waged on these boards, i would also agree with those thanking you for the post Andy. Much more balanced than the piece of poodle pandering puffery that our illustrious kevin dupont saddened me with. As you were stating what people said without judgement, and even put in a few final token paragraphs supporting the PA's position, I wonder if you even come to the same conclusions as those here gleefully cheering any chance they can against Goodenow. I dont care about Goodenow one way or another, but i know the sentiment they are trying to drive home is that the PA should never ever again question owners and just do whatever they say to start the season on time. Dream on.

A point I would love to see expanded on was where you said

I remember this though it seldom seems to be mentioned. At the time, the owners were saying that Jacobs was a last remenant of the old guard and that the owners had agreed to go by the players framework. A delay returning to the table and the compromise was off? Something seems missing here.

It is a bit ironic that the players love for the game and trying to negotiate a fair deal cost them. The players were unwilling to go to the lengths it would take to win this fight, as Andy says which may have merit, against people who didnt care how long they shut down the game. But you go into a high stakes poker hand and you arent always miscalculating when you lose. The players had something worth fighting to protect. They knew what it would take, but did what all the fans wanted in the end. Despite making record concessions in an attempt to find what would also have been a fair deal.

One of the PA's early releases to the players talked about this very thing that the players wives would make it hard to be united. No doubt. We all knew it was coming

19. Sniper

Sniper It's learning...

Engineer
    Home Page:
    :yo: :handclap:

20. Sammy*

Sammy* Guest

Are you serious? Of course you are, you are a pro-pa shill. Yeah, it was the players wanting to make a "fair" deal. Like the last one, eh bud? Like the "fair "deal was why they wouldnt look at the owners books & why they wouldnt negotiate before the lockout. Make no mistake, if the players coud have continued to **** & pillage , they would have gleefully done it.
    And in terms of the players "love for the game" that brought them to where they are at now, , no sir, it was simple greed as they didnt want to lose out on any more $$$.
    What a shill.

21. GSC2k2*

GSC2k2* Guest

[
    Unnuanced. I understand what you are saying, although you apparently had to develop an imaginary word for it. with all due respect, I think your posts clearly evidence that you are a raving pro-PA fanatic. I guess that makes me "unnuanced".

That is a rather ridiculous assertion. To suggest that the PA should have shown better judgment and employed even a basic level of competency in negotiating tactics and strategies is hardly to suggest that the players take what they are offered and slink away. I swear, I have the same types of discussions with my young teenage son. If you ask him to throw out the garbage, he insists that I make him do EVERYTHING!!! It is just like that arguing with a pro-PA twit (not that you are one). Just because you believe Goodenow was a talentless hack who committed colossal blunder after colossal blunder, that automatically means that you think the players should have accepted just what the owners offered. If you have paid even a modicum of attention, you would know that intelligent pro-league posters have said Goodenow should have shown some judgment and negotiated a truce about a year ago when he was offered the chance.

As a side, I would note that, while goodenow is trained as a lawyer, he is really acting more in a business capacity as NHLPA Director. Were he acting in private practice, he might be facing a negligence claim at this point. That is how inept he was. He is lucky he is only going to get axed.

This comment requires no response, really. You surely know how much of a fool you make of yourself when you say such things. If you do not, there is nothing anyone can say or do to help you.

Not necessarily, but when the other side shows you that they have an ace-high royal flush before you start the hand, and billions in chips, you are miscalculating. Especially when that same player offers to split the pot with you.

There you go again. Unbelievable. On second thought, maybe you don't know how riduculous you sound. Sorry.

22. dedalus

dedalus Registered User

Home Page:
    I wonder why the wives so badly want their husbands out of the house.

23. CRUNK JUICE

CRUNK JUICE Registered User

Teacher
    Home Page:
  24. Cloned

Cloned Amazing Alicia

Terrific, terrific read.

Thanks for giving us access to it. :clap:

25. SENSible1*

SENSible1* Guest

Well done, but don't expect it to sink in. When an individual is viewing the world through that skewed a perspective and is that assured of their superiority to all the "poodles", there is no chance that the logic analysis you provide will have any impact.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.