Article: NY Sportsday--A Proposed Fix for the Devils' Ills

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
What? Please give us more info.
I clicked the link and the article redirected me to a Microsoft website saying a virus was detected. It may have been one of the ads on the link. Who knows. I clicked it a second time and no problems.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
I'd be down with giving Hall the C, I actually said that to a buddy after Tuesday's game. I've always felt a big part of a captain's role (even when not saying a word) is to exhibit play that rises above and contributes to success, even if only based on hard work alone because that example inspires teammates to work hard as well.

Nothing against Greene mind you, he's a good guy, durable, usually dependable...but he doesn't come across as a motivator and his post-game commentary is full of retreads when the team deserves one seriously hard kick to the ass right about now. The unfortunate part is sometimes we see captaincy revoked due to circumstances that have earned a guy some badge of dishonor and I don't think that's what we have here. Other than failing to inspire, his play is not abysmal and he's guilty of nothing else to warrant being stripped...other than failing to kickstart the team. I think one or two of our alternates bear blame for that too though.

So I'd support giving it to Hall (who's capable of the setting the example with play that inspires others) despite besmirching Greene by laying the poor efforts of other slugs on the team at his feet. Still, Hall is the future of this team and Andy in all likelihood is not. We also know there's no incoming changes so this is probably the only low hanging fruit to be had on a culture change right now. Perhaps this will renew how invested Hall is into the team effort because even he seems to have slipped into content loserdom with the rest of the slugs during that Preds game.

mike30

Jul 17, 2014
New York
i agree with that. Hall is the future of this team. gotta change something up, i wish we had stevens as our captain still .

Rebel Devil

Mar 16, 2014
They probably didn't want to hand the captainship to the new guy to start the season, but I'd sure be up for it now. Bump Greene down to an 'A', and hand the 'C' to the best player on the team. Hall generally plays very hard .. he'd be a good captain.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
There's no way this happens mid-season though maybe during the next off-season it will.

I find it hard to judge how well a player serves as captain. Most of what happens, the leadership they exhibit is behind closed doors. There's only so much that interviews can give us. Andy doesn't strike me as the kind of guy that's coming into the locker room and flipping garbage cans during an intermission, I would've done that about 10 times so far during this slide. But maybe he is, to a lesser degree of course lol. Or maybe he's still giving them all ****. I don't know...

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I'm not sure Hall is the right guy to give the captaincy too, in all honesty.

The idea itself isn't bad, but Hall hasn't shown me enough to be captain right now.

Wood seems to be the most vocal leader right now, well at least to the media.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
That's kind of the thing, I'm not sure there are any great options for who to give the "C" to. Hall has been our best player but best player doesn't always equal good leader. Rico doesn't deserve it. Zajac doesn't need it. Who else is there? Cammalleri?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It's time to groom a new captain! I like Camo but, him and Andy might get delt at the deadline. I'd give it to Rico.

Why would either get dealt at the deadline? They have 2 and 3 years remaining after this and at $5 million each.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
It's time to groom a new captain! I like Camo but, him and Andy might get delt at the deadline. I'd give it to Rico.

Wood is playing his way into the discussion.

If this change is going to work, they'll need to give the captaincy to a younger player. Giving it to Zajac will be more of the same.

You're left with Henrique, Hall, and Severson right now. I don't think I'd give any of those three it now.

Zelmo

Jun 18, 2012
Woodstock, GA
My controversial article on how to fix what is ailing the Devils https://www.nysportsday.com/2016/12/22/treff-all-the-devils-need-for-christmas/

Nice article Leslie. Thank you for sharing it. I would be against this, especially in mid season.

Theses are the two examples that come to mind of when we've changed captains:

1. Bruce Driver gives way to Scott Stevens. People seem to forget the Driver was the captain for Stevens first year. It gave Scotty a chance to establish himself in the locker room and didn't put that extra pressure on him right away. It was also similar since the Devils had an established forward who'd scored a lot of big goals for us (Johnny Mac) who also got passed over for Stevens. I'd say it worked out well for the team.

2. Patrik Elias gives way to Jamie Langenbruner. Patty getting stripped of the C by Sutter was handled so incredibly poorly. I think it affected Patty for at least the following season.

My point is, if management is going to do this, they must do it in the offseason (IMO). Doing it now has the greater chance of causing a disruption in the locker room - one this team does not need if they hope to right the ship and make the playoffs.

Again, JMO.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
If it happens It will happen off-season
-Greene could get potentially moved then (the teaching of young D men seems to have slowed)
-I think Cams could move too
-I think the vets on this team then become Zajac, Rico, Palms, Schneids, which is ok by me
-Hall is not a good choice, I think its Rico
And I am not opposed to handing one of the A's out to Woodie next year if he sticks. Its like making the 4th line C your capt. its based on your drive

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Greene will be 35 next season; get him to waive his clause and trade him to a playoff team in March.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad