Confirmed with Link: Artemi Panarin, Tyler Motte, 6th (17) to Columbus for Saad, Forsberg, 5th (18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
People think we won this trade.... how?

We got a inferior two way player and we probably will only have him for two years. Also he is older and stats could have been inflated playing with Kane.
Panarin might be slightly worse defensively but he brings a dynamic level of offense that few other players bring. And don't fret so much about the contract situation when he isn't even eligible for an extension for another YEAR.

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
I really liked Saad, but I always felt like there was more there and he never took that next step to get there.

At worst this is a lateral and at best this is a 20 - 30 point upgrade.

Reactions: hardkorejackets

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

We got a inferior two way player and we probably will only have him for two years. Also he is older and stats could have been inflated playing with Kane.

Let's go point by point.
  1. The two-way thing is far less of a consideration compared to scoring ability.
  2. "Only have him for two years" is being a little too pessimistic IMO.
  3. He's all of ONE YEAR older. Their birthdays are literally one year and three days apart. This is not a severe difference.
  4. "Stats could have been inflated" is what we heard about Saad coming in, so this is not presently projected to be an area of concern.
So, yeah. At worst, a lateral move. At best... wow.

theD86

Winging it
Jun 23, 2007
Columbus, Ohio

If 31 goals and 74 points is inferior then sign me up! I mean people should really do there homework before posting.

The Blue Jackets won this trade going away

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
How can anyone dislike this trade. He fits us better and, IMO, is better than Saad. We definitely won this trade. I'm not worried about him only having two years left. I don't have time to look up our contracts, but I'm pretty sure we have some big contracts ending in 2 years.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
I really feel sorry for some people. No matter what happens you are upset. Are some of you ever happy?

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Let's go point by point.
  1. The two-way thing is far less of a consideration compared to scoring ability.
  2. "Only have him for two years" is being a little too pessimistic IMO.
  3. He's all of ONE YEAR older. Their birthdays are literally one year and three days apart. This is not a severe difference.
  4. "Stats could have been inflated" is what we heard about Saad coming in, so this is not presently projected to be an area of concern.
So, yeah. At worst, a lateral move. At best... wow.

no it's a lateral move that's my point, we didn't "win" this trade, unless Motte becomes something. Saad 5v5 scoring is much much better than Panarin. Panarin also has been playing with Kane, that helps production.

And we will either lose him in 2 years or pay out the a** on his next contract. Saad was locked up long term for a reasonable price.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Chicago fans mixed on the deal. Lots of Panarin is soft, not a Torts' kind of player, doesn't like the physical game. But the other side recognizes 70+ points as valuable. Time will tell.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Win / Win

I think both teams will benefit from this swap next season.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Chicago fans mixed on the deal. Lots of Panarin is soft, not a Torts' kind of player, doesn't like the physical game. But the other side recognizes 70+ points as valuable. Time will tell.

They're in denial.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Why do people think Panarin is a better fit? I completely disagree, but am wondering peoples thoughts on why. I could be swayed

CBJSlash

Aug 13, 2003
The Bus
Visit site

I believe Torts has stated the Sedins are the two favorite players he's ever coached.

So long as Panarin is in the right spot in the defensive zone, I don't think Torts is going to say a word to him -- and Panarin wouldn't understand him anyway.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I think people undervalue Motte as well. The guy has some fire in him. He's small but bulky, very fast and still young enough to get better. I think he's going to be a starter the next season in CBJ.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Why do people think Panarin is a better fit? I completely disagree, but am wondering peoples thoughts on why. I could be swayed

I don't know enough about him but I see him as a guy who changes the makeup of our team. Strictly going by points he is better than Saad. Add a 70 point scorer and this could help Cam maintain or even up his numbers a bit.

To me we are a bit of a schizophrenic team with the old school guys like Foligno, Hartnell, Dubi, Savard & Johnson and the newer breed of player like Jones, Werenski, Wennberg. To me he is more like a Saad than a Foligno so I don't see how it changes the old school/ new school thing.

CBOJ

Nov 23, 2010
Grove City, Ohio

I think Saad is redundant on this roster. We have enough 2 way players. Panarin has the potential to bring something we don't have a lot of on this roster. I think that's why he "fits" better

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Motte won't make the team unless we get rid of Hartnell somehow.

Know nothing about this guy but saw him listed as a LW/C. Maybe he is the 4th line C. Even with Hartnell, Bjorkstrand,and PLD there is an open F spot.

CBJSlash

Aug 13, 2003
The Bus
Visit site

Who knows how the PP units shake out, but the 2nd unit sucked the entire season with Saad as a main contributor.

Put Panarin on the left wall on the second unit. That alone makes it much more dangerous.

Werenski-Wennberg, Jones-Panarin should be the PP engines.

Saad doesn't have all that different of a skillset from Foligno or Anderson. Somewhat similar to Jenner and Dubinsky too. And was invisible far too often. And I really like the player. I believe I mentioned in the other thread months ago I wondered if Saad + Murray could get us that big center.

Panarin is a dangerous element that can really pressure the defense in transition on any given shift. Any time he has the puck on his stick, something dangerous can happen. Have we ever really had a player like that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->