ARTEM ANISIMOV: what do you guys think?

cmdevisser

Apr 9, 2006
Chesapeake, Va
I have been reading a lot of scouting reports on this kid....but they are directly contradicting each other. One scouting report will say he knows how to back check and plays some defense, the next will say he doesn't do either. One scouting report says he plants himself in front of the net the next one says he never gets near the crease.... one write up said he saved the russians in the U18s by never taking a shift off the next says he has motivation issues. What do you guys think?

I have also read that he was ranked in the top 14 by ISS, but I havent been able to track down the rankings so I dont know if this was true or not.

In any case Rangers fans seem to be evenly divided on this kid, I guess it depends on which right up you believe.

FmmF3*

I think he'll be one of the absolute steals of the draft as long as he gets to NA. Remember Ovechkin's 'attitude problems?' It seems like being Russian is synonymous to having a poor attitude for many of these scouts. Total bs, I'm almost as excited about Anisimov as I am about Sanguinetti.

The Assailant*

I think he is boom or bust, so a good pick for the Rangers who have too many good prospects to play it safe.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
IMO he's got all the potential to turn into a very good second liner, but his bust tag is also very high.

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
FmmF3 said:
I think he'll be one of the absolute steals of the draft as long as he gets to NA. Remember Ovechkin's 'attitude problems?' It seems like being Russian is synonymous to having a poor attitude for many of these scouts. Total bs, I'm almost as excited about Anisimov as I am about Sanguinetti.

This is talking

cmdevisser

Apr 9, 2006
Chesapeake, Va
I want to find a scouting report or two that has a consensus about his style of play... does he charge the net or take a lot of one timers, can he pass...etc.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
cmdevisser said:
I want to find a scouting report or two that has a consensus about his style of play... does he charge the net or take a lot of one timers, can he pass...etc.

He can do whatever he wants, WHEN he wants to.

That is the problem.

It's not talent, and it's not coaching. It's him wanting it bad enough.

It has nothing to do with getting him to NA or any implied bias against Russians. It comes down to this: If Arterm wants he can take over a game, but he doesn't want it nearly as much as he should.

That can certainly change, but he wasn't a guy who took nights off but also did some earth shattering things enough to raise his stock. That is why he was a second round pick.

His future is up to him, nobody else.

cmdevisser

Apr 9, 2006
Chesapeake, Va
Edge said:
He can do whatever he wants, WHEN he wants to.

That is the problem.

It's not talent, and it's not coaching. It's him wanting it bad enough.

It has nothing to do with getting him to NA or any implied bias against Russians. It comes down to this: If Arterm wants he can take over a game, but he doesn't want it nearly as much as he should.

That can certainly change, but he wasn't a guy who took nights off but also did some earth shattering things enough to raise his stock. That is why he was a second round pick.

His future is up to him, nobody else.

Right by now I get that this kid might have motivation issues, that's not the question I'm asking.

Now when you say that he can do what he want's when he wants to are you implying this guys is an Illya Kovalchuk/ Alex Ovechkin type player? (as in his ceiling)

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
cmdevisser said:
Right by now I get that this kid might have motivation issues, that's not the question I'm asking.

Now when you say that he can do what he want's when he wants to are you implying this guys is an Illya Kovalchuk/ Alex Ovechkin type player? (as in his ceiling)

I don't think he's quite as world class, elite, best of the best in terms of talent but he does have a lot of it.

If he fullfilled his talent and filled out physically, he could be a top 6 forward. Now how good of a top 6 talent is a bit of question mark because no one has really seen him put it together long enough to make an accurate statement.

In terms of natural ability, when he uses it, I see a lot of Alexei Yashin in him. He can score goals, he can set up some plays and generally just dictate the flow of the offensive game and make his line and his team that much more in control and dangerous.

Now again that's his talents, not a projection necessarily of what he'll become. But his size, skating and ability has reminded me a bit of Yashin. Though his game is nowhere near as polished or far along as Yashin's was at 18.

Artem can see the ice VERY well and create offense. He's aware of his own end, though he's not what I'd call a two-way player. I'd like to see him shoot a little more, because he's got a good shot.

His skating is above average, though not what I'd call blazing. He looks a little slower than he is because he's tall and lanky.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad