TV: Arrow 8th and final season

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
I don't watch previews at all and hopefully I don't get spoiled on anything like for Flash's next episode.

But not bad. Wonder what the plan is for Chase.

Also come back to the team Speedy!

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I don't think I've ever been as hyped up for a series finale as I am for next week. This season has been incredible.

Jan 3, 2012
So what... Adrian's Plan is to pretend he gave up to Oliver so he can kidnap everyone and get Oli to break him out?

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
So what... Adrian's Plan is to pretend he gave up to Oliver so he can kidnap everyone and get Oli to break him out?

Make him think he won, drop is guard completely and take away his friends one by one while he is still captured to show he didn't need to be out to make his friends suffer.

Wondering if there is anything bigger to his plan on the island though.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Chase's plan has become increasingly muddled ever since he was outed publicly as Prometheus. Up to that point, he had orchestrated the public "fall" of the Green Arrow by forcing him to take the rap for Officer Malone's death. He was also in a position, as Diggle's attourney, to actually keep him behind bars and thus separate him from Oliver. (why he got him out still baffles me...would have far better suited his purposes to make it APPEAR he was trying to help, but in actuality, screw Diggle even more)

But from the moment his identity became public, I've been left scratching my head at his endgame. OK, so he successfully kidnaps Oliver and gets him to admit he enjoyed killing people. Then he lets him go.

Then he feigns (?) his surrender to Oliver because his father was going to disown him. And he says he wants Oliver to kill him - is that his end game now? Forcing Oliver into killing him to prove that Oliver is the killer that Chase believes him to be?

And now he's kidnapped all of Oliver's friends and family, has brought most of them to Lian Yu, and seems to be goading him into a final confrontation. Again, to what end? Forcing Oliver to kill him?

Truthfully, I don't quite get the moral quandary Oliver seems to be putting himself through with Chase. There's a big difference between killing drug runners and corrupt politicians rather than letting them face justice, and letting a psychotic serial murderer run roughshod over your city and everyone you care about. I think Oliver should be able to put an arrow directly between Chase's eyes and be able to sleep like a damn baby.

But, all of that's details...looks like we're in for a hell of a showdown in the finale, and this is the kind of stuff I look forward to as a comic book fan. Big, epic fight with all sorts of notable characters involved. Oliver certainly looks to be aligning himself with some dodgy characters with questionable motivations for helping him (Slade, who arguably hated Oliver more than anyone else we've seen on the show, agrees to help him? Hm.)

Not that I'm not going to enjoy watching them team up. It's going to be badass. But I feel like there's going to be another shoe to drop here, and that Oliver may pay for putting his trust in the wrong people.

One more thing; I see some complaints about "Ollicity" rearing its head again. To me, the issue with that pairing was never about the characters - they had oodles and poodles of touching scenes and great chemistry when Arrow was at its best. But the way the relationship and the two characters themselves were written at the time that they were a couple was absolutely dreadful.

Oliver and Felicity could work as a pair - and indeed, I think both characters are at narrative strong points right now - so as long as they don't compromise who they've become to make them a relationship (eg - turning Felicity from the wise cracking but determined tech goddess into a weepy, judgmental damsel in distress), I think it can work. But we'll see.

EDIT: Stray thought - Evelyn Sharp is also a massive hypocrite of a character. Her turning on Oliver was believable after discovering he was the Hood. But all of her actions since then have defied explanation, as Chase is just as much if not moreso of a prolific murderer than Oliver ever was. Her standing by while innocents are killed and children (William) are put in harm's way don't jive with anything we knew about her. Lazy writing, IMO.

Last edited:

Blueblood9

Dec 11, 2011
Nashville, TN
That finally

giphy.gif

Wrapped up the season perfectly. Made the full circle to episode 1 perfectly.

Arrow is officially back as the best of the Arrowverse shows.

Loved that they gave some time to Nyssa/Talia, Black Siren/Dinah.

Im not as critical as some in here so many people might diagree but i think this season is just behind seasons 1 and 2. Went back to basics and turned the series around when it was in a downward tragectory.

Some might complain that the cliffhanger is not really a cliffhanger since we know that most if not all will make it off the island. But i thought it was great last moment and makes you wonder who wont make it off.

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
That finally

giphy.gif

Wrapped up the season perfectly. Made the full circle to episode 1 perfectly.

Arrow is officially back as the best of the Arrowverse shows.

Loved that they gave some time to Nyssa/Talia, Black Siren/Dinah.

Im not as critical as some in here so many people might diagree but i think this season is just behind seasons 1 and 2. Went back to basics and turned the series around when it was in a downward tragectory.

Some might complain that the cliffhanger is not really a cliffhanger since we know that most if not all will make it off the island. But i thought it was great last moment and makes you wonder who wont make it off.

Agreed. Definitely better than The Flash last night. Some great intense moments and does make me wonder if they they are gutsy enough to do something in regards to the 'cliffhanger' and next season.

[spoil]Malcolm has to survive the landmine and all those other explosives? ****. I do hope he made it. I love that character and John Barrowman and was about to catch some feels if they did anything on camera. Thea too at first.[/spoil]

Also agreed it's on S1 and S2 level though I'm not that critical of 3 or 4 myself which I know is different than most.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Really, really enjoyed that finale. It would have worked (except for the last few moments) as a series finale, too, if they had gone that route. They brought everything full circle with respect to the flashbacks and Oliver's time "on" Lian Yu, and the cadre of guest stars were all put to good use, especially Manu Bennett.

I was surprised they decided to go the route of him having had the mirakuru "wear off" and realize the error of his ways. But watching him and Oliver fight side by side again was a treat in and of itself. I know the actor is extremely busy with his own show, and too much so for him to be involved in Arrow on any kind of regular basis, so if this episode served as Slade Wilson's redemption and ride off into the sunset, I'm content with that.

I think we can infer who some of the survivors of the island will be based on who is coming back as recurring characters next year, but there's definitely some big players' whose fate is up in the air. Will be very interested to see where Arrow picks up next fall.

So, so much I liked here. Great episode.

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
Well it was news to me I had no idea it was coming. Don't really go out of my way to find out contract information.

Saddened by it. He was fantastic and I love the energy he brings to his roles.

Flash20

DC Homer
Oct 16, 2009
Buffalo
Merlyn got annoying over the years cya ...

and hoping felicity got killed don't need her we have Mr. Terrific

S5 was so good happy its back !!!

just don't watch s3 or s4 lol

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Merlyn got annoying over the years cya ...

and hoping felicity got killed don't need her we have Mr. Terrific

S5 was so good happy its back !!!

just don't watch s3 or s4 lol

Truth.

Merlyn was an absolutely fantastic villain in Season 1. He was compelling, his motives made sense, and the dichotomy between his good and bad sides was fascinating to watch. Barrowman played him superbly as well.

One of the big mistakes the show made, IMO, was in having him survive his fight with Oliver. His character was never quite as good again after that, and they went from having him be a man on a mission (his Undertaking), and instead had him become a sometimes ally, sometimes antagonist who just loved playing everyone and throwing people for loops. It got very tiresome as a character.

I get that they brought him back because he was so popular in Season 1, but they should have left well enough alone. Season 2 had enough going on with Slade Wilson's rise to prominence, as well as Brother Blood. And Merlyn could have just as easily not been in Seasons 3, 4 or 5 and not impacted the main story at all.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
A lot of people have been recommending this show. I just watched the first episode today. It was kind of corny and silly. Pretty far fetched. Not grounded at all. Does it get better than this? Or is the whole show like this?

Flash20

DC Homer
Oct 16, 2009
Buffalo
A lot of people have been recommending this show. I just watched the first episode today. It was kind of corny and silly. Pretty far fetched. Not grounded at all. Does it get better than this? Or is the whole show like this?

S1-s2 .. legitly put arrow on the map such amazing seasons

You should stick with it and then skip season three and four:cry:

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

Seasons 1 and 2 are excellent. I agree the Pilot was a bit rocky, but stick with it - the first two seasons really pick up and are awesome.

Seasons 3 and 4 have some good moments, but are by and large underwhelming, at best.

Season 5 has been a nice return to form - not quite as good as Seasons 1 and 2, but still high caliber stuff. IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad