Around the OHL

soo hound girl

Oct 20, 2017
Just curious to see what fans think of their video screens quality of picture,size and if you think it adds to game experience only been to London in the OHL and it is top notch game experience.
I have been to over 11 NHL rinks so when I go to hounds games it is a big let down

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
Erie has a very nice video screen. It is large, clear, and in high def. The sound system in Erie is top notch too. When they did the renovations some 5 years ago, they did them right. Considering that over 42 million went into score boards, seats, and other important amenities, it was money well spent. I have been to London, SSM, Kitchener, OS, Guelph, Sudbury, and North Bay. Throw in Hershey, Wilkes-Barre, and Lehigh Valley, and the new PPG in Pittsburgh, and I can tell you one thing for sure. Erie has the most comfortable seats on any of them. They are padded, wide, and come with cup holders. Their concourse is very wide, with a large selection of food and beer, all reasonably priced for a sports venue. As a matter of fact, it is, by far, my favorite place to see a hockey game.

Reactions: soo hound girl

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Been to 15 rinks this year, most places have a crappy screen. Missy has a very good one. It does make a difference on replays

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
I know many people have not been to Saginaw, but they just purchased a new big screen at the beginning of the season, I'd say it's about the best in the league. They also spent mega bucks on their dressing rooms which is shown on the Saginaw twitter account. Many good things are beginning to happen here.

All we need is some high end players now!

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Been to most OHL rinks and found that it's more personal opinion from city to city.

Owen Sound has the best size for the age of the building being 35 years young. Really helps the game day experience for home and visiting fans alike can be very confusing for first time visiting fans and new players in the league alike due to the low I beam ceiling that hangs over the ice making it a bit of an optical illusion affect that the buildings video scoreboard is hung low but if anyone gets a chance to catch a game I highly recommend aiming for the playoffs game in Owen Sound for any who haven't been before

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Flint's video screens are excellent. All new just three years ago when the team moved to town. The audio system can be absolutely CRAZY loud. The first game three years ago, they had that thing so loud that young kids had to leave the arena. They learned quickly that they don't need to "turn it to 11" to get the job done. Hoping that the game-day staff finds some new video clips to show this upcoming season, though. The same clips have been shown for all three seasons, it seems. Those are getting old.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
I will have to believe you guys about Saginaw, 3 of the 5 rinks I missed were in the US. Hoping to trip down there next season.

three dog night

May 3, 2014
Been to a couplerinks do not look at the scoreboard much but other than the MerdianCentre my favourite road rink is Guelph.

louis

Apr 3, 2014
The Soo's clock is a disgrace. When they do a replay I defy anyone to say that it is clearly seen. They have made big$$$ lately and should trade the crappy thing in - if anyone wants it.

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
Here's my review of the arena's I've been too.

Ottawa - Screen is great and large, but it's on the wall on one side which means it's great if you are on the side that faces it, terrible if not. I also have trouble finding the shot clock there.
Kingston - Great screen, just wish they left more room on it so the Penalty clock didn't need to be added onto the viewing screen.
Peterborough - Struck me as old and blurry, but oddly enough I don't really recall it very much.
Oshawa - Probably one of the best ones I've seen, although I do like some degree of light bright on the board myself.
Barrie - I recall this one being brutally small, unclear and packed with ads all around it. Probably the worst of the bunch.
Mississauga - Not much to say, seems a bit odd to had the lightbrights with a screen size that big.
Hamilton - The people in the box seem to struggle with putting up penalities on the light bright portions. It's bad enough to be used as one of many reasons why we can't host a memorial but I've seen worse.
Niagara - One of the better ones, sufficiently large with enough light brites on it.
Guelph - Seem to recall it was similar to Kingston, where penalities are on the screen instead of their own spot on the board.
Kitchener - This is another top of the line boards, and I like that they have screens for penalties seperate from the viewing screen.

So really Niagara I feel has the best board, followed by Kitchener and Oshawa. Barrie and Peterborough were my least desried ones.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->