Around the NHL XXXIV | Playoff Spectators Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Should be very interesting to see a team that George McFee built in Wash against a team that George McFee drafted in Las Vegas in the SCF.

Good to see Wash final make it.

Reactions: Icelevel

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
Has another player ever touched one of the Conference trophy’s more than Ovie did? I hope he wins the Cup, he’ll be sooooo pumped!

Cloud

Feb 22, 2016
Yukon
Good on the Caps to finally make the big dance. Even better for Ovi. Hoping for a Caps win but idk...the way Vegas has just been dominating everyone they'll probably win the cup as well.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Got a strong feeling Fleury will implode.

Washington deserves this not Vegas and their "fans".

I mean fans are fans, the only people that really deserve anything are the players, coaches, management team that made it all happen because they did the work. I do understand what you're saying though, for Washington fans it's been a long time coming BUT that doesn't mean that Vegas doesn't deserve it as much.

I would say it's hard to cheer against Vegas. A bunch of misfits that came together in a truly remarkable way to prove everyone wrong and change what everyone thought. To me they really deserve this, they have been by far the hardest working team in the league this season and in these playoffs. Their commitment to each other and to their coach is simply unmatched and Fleury has been lights out.

I'd love for Washington to win, more specifically Ovie and Trotz but to me they both deserve to win.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Either the plucky little bandwagon team gets a dose of reality or the chokers pull the biggest choke of all - either way it's a fairytale ending!!!

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
if Crosby and Ovi played together Crosby would be a consistent 150pt player, and Ovi would be pushing 60 to 70 goals a season

And if Orr had played with Denis Potvin, his stats for a defenceman would have been so utterly unreachable for any other defenceman for all time that his statistical achievements would be spoken of with the same hushed tone we use when we talk about Gretzky's records. Not sure what your point is, here.

Also - With the benefit of modern high-tech equipment (composite sticks, ultra lightweight pads that don't absorb sweat, formfitting and over-enginnered skates, etc...), modern coaching styles (sub-1min shifts and dependence on effective 4th lines that keep players fresher throughout the game, evolution of matching lines, etc...), modern year-long training regimens and diets, modern youth hockey schedules and hyper-competitive junior leagues, most modern players are far better positioned to perform at elite peak levels than anything we saw before... 1990-95(ish) eras when the game started to evolve at a crazy pace.

You can't compare base stats across eras. Mason Raymond would be a borderline hall of famer if you let him play in 1970 with all of the modern equipment and advantages he has in 2018 against the rest of the 1970 league playing with 1970 equipment and 1970 coaching and 1970 "training regimens" (an oxymoron in that era, I'm sure, lol), etc...

The only thing you can compare across eras is pure talent. Orr had more than Crosby or Ovechkin. Everything else is subjective, and so dependant on uncontrolled variables that it's not really worth anything as an argument.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Im just happy Tampa is out.

Their fans are like their GM. Pompous and arrogant.
Hey now, those are our expansion brothers you're talking about. Besides, AwaysSunnyinTampa has been cordial every time he's stopped by, lets not paint the entire fan base with the same brush.

Having said that, I'm happy Washington made it. Hope they win the cup, Ovi gets dumped on far too much imo. Vegas is a great story, and it would be neat to see an expansion team win it in their first year, but where do you go from there? I think losing would potentially be better for the long term success of the team as if they win a cup, fans might not get as excited next time they win a round in the playoffs.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Hey now, those are our expansion brothers you're talking about. Besides, AwaysSunnyinTampa has been cordial every time he's stopped by, lets not paint the entire fan base with the same brush.

Having said that, I'm happy Washington made it. Hope they win the cup, Ovi gets dumped on far too much imo. Vegas is a great story, and it would be neat to see an expansion team win it in their first year, but where do you go from there? I think losing would potentially be better for the long term success of the team as if they win a cup, fans might not get as excited next time they win a round in the playoffs.

Never been to that site and maybe they are nice. But on these boards a lot of their fans are horrible . Coincides quite well with their GM and his low balling El cheapo offers for our top guys.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
A team I hate (Washington) against a team I'm a little bitter about since they had such a sweetheart expansion draft loaded with legit talent gifted to them while we had to set records for futility and terribleness in our expansion years because the best players we had available to us were guys like Laurie Boschman...

Is there a way both teams can lose the cup this year?

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad