Around the NHL XXXIII - looking forward to 2018 offseason edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Sabres beat the leafs; Oilers over the Dogs in OT (3 pt game) , Canucks up on the Isles 3-2 late in the 3rd
Sens win but don't make up ground ... fine by me.

Canucks win in OT .. Beauvillier with bad giveaway and Halak ...well not sure what he was doing... Isles came back but could not win .. they are cooked

Last edited:
Reactions: Do Make Say Think

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Boeser hurt with about a minute left in the game.. Hit the small of his back on an open door edge ... it looked like

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Freakish hit. Looks like a leg the way Boeser was carried off. Really sucks...the kid was having a great year.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

NHL All-Star Game MVP Brock Boeser suffered a scary injury late in Vancouver’s 4-3 overtime win over the New York Islanders.
In the closing seconds of the third period, the talented rookie forward attempted a hip check on Cal Clutterbuck. The checking-line forward saw the telegraphed hit coming and delivered a counter hit of his own, sending the leading rookie goal scorer crashing into the open bench door.
Boeser remained on the ice for over two minutes clutching the bottom of his back in pain.
Boeser (back) required a stay in the hospital after leaving Monday's game against the Islanders on a stretcher, Brian Compton of NHL.com reports.
Brock Boeser taken to hospital after absorbing counter hit with bench door open

Last edited:

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Gotta check out Braydon Point's OT winner tonight
That was filthy.

Side note: How insane is it that Tampa got to add JT Miller to their already bonkers forward ranks? What a pickup that is, he's not a star but he's on the edge of being one. No idea how they fit him into their future under the cap but they'll probably do as Chicago does and sell him for a huge return once he needs to be paid. Tampa's line up is so damn good.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
That was filthy.

Side note: How insane is it that Tampa got to add JT Miller to their already bonkers forward ranks? What a pickup that is, he's not a star but he's on the edge of being one. No idea how they fit him into their future under the cap but they'll probably do as Chicago does and sell him for a huge return once he needs to be paid. Tampa's line up is so damn good.

Sure, but they lost Namestnikov, so I’m not sure that’s an upgrade. If it is, it’s not a huge one.

I think the Rangers did pretty well in that deal actually. If they commit to their rebuild, they should have a good team in a few years. Assuming their picks work out, which is no guarantee, but of course they have lots of money, so they can always add guys in free agency along the way too.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Sure, but they lost Namestnikov, so I’m not sure that’s an upgrade. If it is, it’s not a huge one.

I think the Rangers did pretty well in that deal actually. If they commit to their rebuild, they should have a good team in a few years. Assuming their picks work out, which is no guarantee, but of course they have lots of money, so they can always add guys in free agency along the way too.
Miller is a huge upgrade on Namestikov, extremely big.

Namestikov was a complete product of his surroundings (Kucherov/Stamkos). As soon as he was removed from their hip he went back to his usual self, and now that he's in NY, he is that guy again.

Miller is better in every category, by large margins.

He was the best forward, and very possibly better than the best D moved at the deadline.

Last edited:

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
And how out of touch most HF posters are (I try to not act like I know what management should do).
Virtanen is still a very bad pick, and still a bad player. What do you mean out of touch HF posters are? He's playing on the 4th line and has 10 points in his last 35 games.

Has zero hockey I.Q, and can't get by on his skills and size. He can hopefully turn into a consistent 30 point 3rd liner.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
That was filthy.

Yup and when McDonagh comes into that lineup as well. Beast of the East for sure.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Virtanen is still a very bad pick, and still a bad player. What do you mean out of touch HF posters are? He's playing on the 4th line and has 10 points in his last 35 games.

Has zero hockey I.Q, and can't get by on his skills and size. He can hopefully turn into a consistent 30 point 3rd liner.
I agree he wasn't a good pick... I would love the guy on my 4th line though. Good size good speed, a little mean , can add a little secondary scoring. I realize he wasn't picked where he was to be a 4th liner but having him on the Sens for example in that capacity. I'd take it.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Miller is a huge upgrade on Namestikov, extremely big.

Namestikov was a complete product of his surroundings (Kucherov/Stamkos). As soon as he was removed from their hip he went back to his usual self, and now that he's in NY, he is that guy again.

Miller is better in every category, by large margins.

He was the best forward, and very possibly the best D moved at the deadline.

Perhaps. I haven’t watched either guy that much. I just meant from a production point of view it wasn’t a big change. Their numbers are pretty similar this year.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Perhaps. I haven’t watched either guy that much. I just meant from a production point of view it wasn’t a big change. Their numbers are pretty similar this year.
Namestikov rode shotgun with Kucherov-Stamkos, when they were scoring at an absurd clip. 50% of his production can be contributed to them.

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
Virtanen has some clear skill, his speed to the outside when he has the puck is quite exciting to watch live.

The red flags on Virtanen are between the ears. He didn't work hard enough when he was first drafted and was struggling in the AHL last year. He's got an attitude on the ice. When something doesn't go his way or he makes a mistake you can immediately see a reaction from him, usually looking upwards or swearing before changing instead of backchecking.

If he had the focus and drive to work hard for a full game, he could really be a great player. He's young though so maybe he'll figure it out eventually but for now the 4th line is appropriate for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->