Around the NHL XXXIII - looking forward to 2018 offseason edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
I like this but I think a flaw would be that you’d see too many of the same teams pop up... you’d never see the basement teams get one.
Its a reward for good teams. I think this is more fair than the NHL choosing the based on market size.

As for the location a neutral pre-set location would work. Have it set before the playoffs start. So even if it would be NYR vs CHI, it could take place in Seattle.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Florida's top line is unreal.

Would love for either guy (Barkov obviously) in a Sens uniform. Would have killed for Huberdeau in 2011.

Dadonov isn't too bad either. All three might might very well finish PPG.

Barkov is like a 6 ft 3 Datsyuk.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Its a reward for good teams. I think this is more fair than the NHL choosing the based on market size.

As for the location a neutral pre-set location would work. Have it set before the playoffs start. So even if it would be NYR vs CHI, it could take place in Seattle.

Yeah, I could see that being cool, like the Champion's League final being set ahead of time before you know who's in it. And I do like the idea of it being in a city without a team. But you would kind of worry about the draw it it was two teams from far away. The great thing about European football and the Champion's League is you know it's going to be two teams with huge draw, plus fans of those teams (and not just them) will travel to see it.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

Who ever said it had to be fair?

It's a business endeavour. They aren't going to spend all that money on putting up a match between two teams nobody cares about.

For the record: I really don't care about outdoor games. It seems dumb to me but whatever, lots of people seem to care and like them.

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
This Flames team is shit. It's not the goaltending, it's their poor team defence, two of their forwards are sitting at the red line waiting for a pass when the puck is in their end. Detroit's D is ignoring them and stepping up to intercept those passes.

The Red Wings new arena is one third empty, maybe Cherry should discuss moving the Wings to Quebec. And on attendance, the Oilers aren't selling out, nor are the Rangers, this is a league-wide issue but for some reason Ottawa gets the focus.

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016
We are the focus because we have the most dramatic dip in numbers for a Canadian market. Fair to an extent, but it's than used as a tool of banter by American media/fans when they don't realize the cheapshots at certain US markets attendance numbers has been driven by Toronto/Montreal media sources. It's also used as a source of banter by fans/media that we are in between which are the very two cities above.
And when people from the actual market give reasons as to why the dip may be happening it's brushed aside in a very obnoxious manner.

As for Calgary they are quickly taking over from Edmonton/Winnipeg (you could even say how we were being evaluated going into 2013-14) as a team people overrate massively going into each season and the evaluation is just off. I know I'm guilty of this with how I evaluated the Calgary defence going into the season.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Derek Grant posted 7 pts (all assists) in his first 92 NHL games. In the past 12 games, he has 4 goals and 6 assists. He's been held pointless 3 times in that stretch and has been moved into Anaheims top 6 over the past few games. Shooting and hitting a lot recently.

If you asked me the former cup of tea Senator who I'd guess to be least likely to go on a stretch like this, I'd have said Grant.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
This Flames team is ****. It's not the goaltending, it's their poor team defence, two of their forwards are sitting at the red line waiting for a pass when the puck is in their end. Detroit's D is ignoring them and stepping up to intercept those passes.

The Red Wings new arena is one third empty, maybe Cherry should discuss moving the Wings to Quebec. And on attendance, the Oilers aren't selling out, nor are the Rangers, this is a league-wide issue but for some reason Ottawa gets the focus.
Revenue and tickets sold matter more than how many people are actually at the game.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
TSN's front page right now. :laugh:

7b8gXGm.png

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Holy crap. Can we get gudas out of the game now?
Everyone see that? Two handed downward slash to the neck of Perrault

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Uhhh he should be gone for a really long time. Rest of season seems reasonable to me, especially given this guy's history. Imagine if that had resulted in a spinal injury for Perrault. That would have been the talk of the entire sports world for a long time.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

Seemed careless more than it was malicious. Wasn't even looking at Perrault, and even followed the puck afterwards and wasn't focusing on the scrum. I don't think there's really any intention to injure there, it's just typical Gudas being a brain-dead moron.

Don't get me wrong, you are still responsible for your actions out there and Gudas deserves to sit, but the difference between a 2-to-3 game penalty and a 23 game penalty is intent to injure, and I don't see it here. I hate Gudas as much as the next fan, but he probably gets a couple of games (2-3 if it were a regular player, maybe Gudas gets 4-6 because of his history of being a dumbass) and a stern talking-to from the league and his team about being an idiot, rather than a big long "make an example out of you for being evil" suspension.

It's not even comparable to any of the famous head-slashes (McSorley, etc...).

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Gudas is one of the few players I actually hate in the NHL, and couldn't care less if someone took out his knees and his career ended. There is only one other player I have had that hatred for and that was Bryan Marchment. He is good for at least one dirty play a game.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Seemed careless more than it was malicious. Wasn't even looking at Perrault, and even followed the puck afterwards and wasn't focusing on the scrum. I don't think there's really any intention to injure there, it's just typical Gudas being a brain-dead moron.

Don't get me wrong, you are still responsible for your actions out there and Gudas deserves to sit, but the difference between a 2-to-3 game penalty and a 23 game penalty is intent to injure, and I don't see it here. I hate Gudas as much as the next fan, but he probably gets a couple of games (2-3 if it were a regular player, maybe Gudas gets 4-6 because of his history of being a dumbass) and a stern talking-to from the league and his team about being an idiot, rather than a big long "make an example out of you for being evil" suspension.

It's not even comparable to any of the famous head-slashes (McSorley, etc...).

I don't know, the force he uses to bring his stick back down leads me to believe he knew exactly what he was doing. Real boneheaded play and deserves to sit for double digit games in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad