Around the NHL XXXIII - looking forward to 2018 offseason edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Leafs are the class of the east in my opinion, as much as it pains me to say.
They remind me of Dallas a few years back. Their offensive touch is outstanding but their defensive play leaves me shaking my head at times.

I will give credit though that they definitely put in the effort in terms of pressuring the puck.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I agree with this. So long as they get mediocre to good goaltending they will be a scary opponent.

I also don’t think their defence is as porous as everyone is saying.

Definitely the weakest part of their roster.

I am not convinced it is good enough to get the job done in the playoffs.

That can change in a hurry though. No question that they are the most exciting offensive team in the League.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Well just like our playoffs run, all that ultimately matters is the result. We got some luck too, and rightfully complained about people selling the Sens short.

So the Leafs are sitting pretty at present, as much as we all hate it.

Reactions: NyQuil

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
According to Sportsnet and OddShark,the Leafs are the favorite to win the Cup in 2018, as of right now.
vomit-boy01-vomit-puke-sick-smiley-emoticon-000652-large.gif~c200

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
The Leafs are a very good team, shut out Washington last night. I'm no Leafs fan but they are something special.
Until they win in the playoffs there's nothing special about them, they can win all they want in the regular season but it means absolutely nothing if they don't win the stanley cup, and they better win within the next two season because after that they gonna have to pay all those young players.

bigbizze

Oct 9, 2017
Until they win in the playoffs there's nothing special about them, they can win all they want in the regular season but it means absolutely nothing if they don't win the stanley cup, and they better win within the next two season because after that they gonna have to pay all those young players.

The idea that it's a bad thing that a team has players good enough that they'll have to pay them a lot of money is hilarious.

Reactions: 1specter and Lilou

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
The idea that it's a bad thing that a team has players good enough that they'll have to pay them a lot of money is hilarious.
With a salary cap it is a bad thing. if they wanna keep all those talented forwards then they wont have any money left for the defense, at one point they will have to make tough decisions.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
With a salary cap it is a bad thing. if they wanna keep all those talented forwards then they wont have any money left for the defense, at one point they will have to make tough decisions.
Still not a bad thing. A bad thing would be having nothing worthwhile to spend money on. Whatever they can't afford they can trade for picks and prospects and replenish those outgoing players. It's ideal in a cap world if a team can have a strong current line-up and a well stocked prospect pool.

ToastrStutzle

Feb 1, 2016
Ottawa
Toronto was outshot 10 - 5 late in the first but they had 4 goals...honestly it wasn't even from particularly bad goaltending, the shots were just so deceptive.

Their shooting percentage has to be really really high.

bigbizze

Oct 9, 2017

The idea is silly because even with the "issue" of having to make hard decisions it's a good thing to be in the position to have to make them in the first place.

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017

Matthews, Nylander and Marner will cost about 25 million combined.

They will have plenty to spend and a ton of forward prospects coming up.

Cap wise, the Maple Leafs will be ok for the next 5-7 years.

They will just have to say bye to van Riemsdyk, Bozak and Komarov. All three are replaceable, to an extent.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
The Leafs are going to win the cup. Better to come to grips with it now.

I think I’m mentally prepared for it, so long as they don’t kick our ass in the playoffs to get there.

I think it’s nearly certain that they win one within the next 5 years.

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
I'd be fine with the Leafs winning the cup if their fanbase wasn't so bitter and spiteful everytime something goes their way. It's exhausting reading any Leafs thread on the main board.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
The Leafs are going to win the cup. Better to come to grips with it now.

Someone said it in another thread:

They look like the Senators of the early 2000's.

I am not sold on that roster winning a Cup as it is now. They have more than enough skill but if skill and offensive prowess was all it took, we'd have a whole bunch of Cups.

Let's see where things go.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
Someone said it in another thread:

They look like the Senators of the early 2000's.

I am not sold on that roster winning a Cup as it is now. They have more than enough skill but if skill and offensive prowess was all it took, we'd have a whole bunch of Cups.

Let's see where things go.

The 2000s were a different era. The Pens have won back to back on skill and offensive prowess.

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016
I think I’m mentally prepared for it, so long as they don’t kick our ass in the playoffs to get there.

I think it’s nearly certain that they win one within the next 5 years.

Would make last season's loss to the Pens hurt even more to be honest. If we in last year I don't give a toss if the Leafs won 3 straight cups to be honest. If they win a cup and we don't build on last year's success and regress I might have to take a step back from hockey for awhile (well...not really but it will be unbearable).

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
I'd be fine with the Leafs winning the cup if their fanbase wasn't so bitter and spiteful everytime something goes their way. It's exhausting reading any Leafs thread on the main board.

Hey! we are not all the same lol fans like me love talking hockey and are always able to look at things objectively. You guys in my opinion will also be a very hard team to deal with!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad