Around the NHL XXXIII - looking forward to 2018 offseason edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
Cantley
100% either Tampa or Ottawa will lead the division, as we both play very sustainable styles of play. Tampa has great offense, defence, and goaltending.

The leafs don't have the defence or goaltending to lead the division at the end of the regular season.

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016
I can easily see the Leafs being first or second. I just hope that they become the next version of us in the early 2000's. A talented regular season power-house that is just too green for the post-season. Although, even as good as Alfie, Hossa, and Havlat were as a 1,2,3 punch, they aren't on the level of Matthews, Nylander, Marner. Matthews just pushes that trio to another level, unfortunately he was worthy of the hype.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I can easily see the Leafs being first or second. I just hope that they become the next version of us in the early 2000's. A talented regular season power-house that is just too green for the post-season. Although, even as good as Alfie, Hossa, and Havlat were as a 1,2,3 punch, they aren't on the level of Matthews, Nylander, Marner. Matthews just pushes that trio to another level, unfortunately he was worthy of the hype.

You've omitted Yashin/Spezza, unless you're referring only to the 01-02 to 02-03 versions.

Hossa and Alfredsson were far more complete players than Nylander and Marner (in the time periods in question, who knows what the future will bring). Mathews is definitely legit, but I'll hold off judgement until a larger sample presents itself to decide if he makes up the difference between the other players in question.

Reactions: MarkStone

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016
You've omitted Yashin/Spezza, unless you're referring only to the 01-02 to 02-03 versions.

Hossa and Alfredsson were far more complete players than Nylander and Marner (in the time periods in question, who knows what the future will bring). Mathews is definitely legit, but I'll hold off judgement until a larger sample presents itself to decide if he makes up the difference between the other players in question.

Yeah, that is what I was referring to. Even though Alfie was there for all of it, I definitely view the Alfie, Yashin, Alfie, Hossa, Havlat, and Alfie, Heatley, Spezza combinations as different era's, even if there was some overlap. Agreed on Hossa and Alfie being more complete players, in fact, despite Leafs fans trying to make a Zaitsev, Reilly defence core a thing, I would ultimately trade Marner for defensive help. Have Matthews and Nylander as your main offensive core, and get that steady, elite workhorse d-man.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown

But Redden > Rielly. And there's no Chara or Phillips in their system.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
I'd say Andersen > Vasilevksy.

I don't think Toronto has to worry about goaltending for a while. It's their average D that exposes him from time to time. Their offense makes up for it, but goes cold for a game or two (which I don't personally see happening for long stretches, too much firepower) he has to play at elite level to win games himself, because his D isn't going to bail him out if he has an average night.

Rielly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Rosen-Carrick

Not terrible but not very proven.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

And wouldn't it be great of we were to literally kick the crap out of them the way Domi, Roberts & company did to us so many times in the playoffs? They took away our speed & skill by playing a very rough style knowing that the Sens & specifically Martin would not be able to withstand it or adjust his style & Quinn was right. Of course, this board & this team it seems would never want to do that, it's too unsportsmanlike & that is no longer a part of hockey. So we'll just take it again as we always do. Sundin was pretty good for them too.

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016
And wouldn't it be great of we were to literally kick the crap out of them the way Domi, Roberts & company did to us so many times in the playoffs? They took away our speed & skill by playing a very rough style knowing that the Sens & specifically Martin would not be able to withstand it or adjust his style & Quinn was right. Of course, this board & this team it seems would never want to do that, it's too unsportsmanlike & that is no longer a part of hockey. So we'll just take it again as we always do. Sundin was pretty good for them too.

It was always fun in those years to see the cockiness from Leafs fans and the team after they beat us (well...that part wasn't fun) be immediately wiped away after getting demolished by New Jersey in the next round.
I will say though that Boucher doesn't seem like the type to not be able to adjust or just take a **** stomping without a response. He's a coach that was mentored in part by guys like Lemaire, Quinn, and Babcock. Heck we even saw what he did last playoffs when the Rangers kicked us around in games 3 and 4. We adjusted and won the next two while eliminating the intimidating presence that Tanner Glass had brought to the Rangers game.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Except the rules have changed so much that it would be penalties galore if we gooned it up. Also TML's PP would be lethal you'd have to think.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I think the system +Ek is the answer to the Leafs... we better hope it is.

The equation would be a better name for the system +EK :laugh:

The system also relies on extremely good goaltending.

Goaltending covers up all manner of sins. It's not a coincidence that all of our defencemen are looking good right now.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
To me the division winner in the Atlantic is either Tampa, Toronto or Ottawa. Hoping it's us. Should be a fun division race this year.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Crosby game tying goal was stupid ... but his hockey IQ is off the charts, the poise to basically trick Shattenkirk into touching the puck. Unreal

The whole NYR-PITT game was pretty sick actually. Much more entertaining than our snoozer.

Last edited:
Reactions: RedWhiteBrown

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
To me the division winner in the Atlantic is either Tampa, Toronto or Ottawa. Hoping it's us. Should be a fun division race this year.
For us to have a shot at the division we need to win the season series versus Toronto and Tampa which will be hard to do. I think we finished 3rd in the division.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
Habs lose again :)

Price is over-rated always has been, just look at his record in the playoffs, and now they have him for the next 8 years at 10,5M per season ouch!!! Bergevin should be fire on the spot.

Reactions: Beville

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Leafs are the class of the east in my opinion, as much as it pains me to say.

I agree with this. So long as they get mediocre to good goaltending they will be a scary opponent.

I also don’t think their defence is as porous as everyone is saying.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I don't think it's inevitable but they're the two safest bets when you look at how Washington usually dominates the regular season. High powered offense can get it done.

They both have pretty big holes though - some bad runs by their goalies could sink division hopes. I think teams like Toronto and Tampa that can be exploited in the playoffs over a 7 game series.

We'll be a bubble team as usual and if we get in we should do damage again if we keep the level of play up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->