Around the NHL VIII - 2017-2018 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Just thinking about this last night- the Caps are really a fascinating story/study.

For 2 straight years, they won the Presidents Trophy and were looked at by many as the best team in the league. Huge expectations both years. And of course, both seasons ended with 2nd round playoff exits.

After they got knocked out last year there was about as much doom and gloom as a franchise can have- even their own players talked about how they may have missed their chance, their “window” to win Cup. It was pretty hard to watch Ovechkin’s interviews after their elimination game last year.

Now fast forward to this year- they retool, lose some guys and by almost any measure were not as talented or as good as their teams the previous two years. Greatly reduced expectations compared to the past few years.

And while they did win the division, they finished with a record not nearly as good as the past two years and went into the playoffs not really being expected to be a serious contender, especially since they once again would have to face the Pens in round 2.

And of course we now know what happened- against all odds, THIS is the year they go on a run. And what makes their run this year even more remarkable, is that they had to go through a brutal run- Columbus, Pittsburgh and Tampa- that is an impressive trifecta to knock out.

And it is almost easy to forget now, but in that Columbus series they lost the first two at home, and in game 3 were in double OT- they were basically one shot away from being down 0-3 and basically out of the playoffs in round 1- crazy stuff. (And they are in the SCF even though they are below .500 at home in the playoffs, which is also nuts)

Sometimes sports, especially the NHL, is just weird- sometimes things just make no sense.

And their story actually gives me renewed hope about the Preds- we went through this year exactly what the Caps did the past 2 seasons. There is a good chance that next year we will not have 117 points and win the PT again. We probably will not have quite the expectations that we had this year. It is so easy to fall into the thinking that “ugh- if we aren’t going to win the Cup with THIS team, how will we ever win it??”

But as the Caps showed, it doesn’t mean anything come playoff time- you can still make a run and win even if your team on paper or in the standings is not as good as a previous season.

Reactions: Viqsi

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
Crazy back and forth game with Vegas getting the edge in the third. Seems like Washington is following in our foot steps from last year. Hoping Washington has better luck though than we did last year. Can see the officiating still sucks though. Guess that is the only good thing about getting bounced early is not having to deal w/ bad officiating. Washington got screwed on Vegas's fourth goal.

Last edited:

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Crazy back and forth game with Vegas getting the edge in the third. Seems like Washington is following in our foot steps from last year. Hoping Washington has better luck though than we did last year. Can see the officiating still sucks though. Guess that is the only good thing about getting bounced early is not having to deal w/ bad officiating. Washington got screwed on Vegas's fourth goal.

The Reaves goal definitely should have been waived off for a penalty. Even though they lost I was pretty impressed with Washington. Vegas continues to have the luck, 2 posts from Carlson, the non-call on Reeves, and seems like any mistake Washington makes in the back of the net. Oh and forgot about the wide open net at the end where Ehlers just misses. I figured it was going to be 7 which means Vegas has to win somewhere.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
The Reaves goal definitely should have been waived off for a penalty. Even though they lost I was pretty impressed with Washington. Vegas continues to have the luck, 2 posts from Carlson, the non-call on Reeves, and seems like any mistake Washington makes in the back of the net. Oh and forgot about the wide open net at the end where Ehlers just misses. I figured it was going to be 7 which means Vegas has to win somewhere.
I wouldn't say "definitely"... I've seen muggings and crosscheck exchanges in the netfront battles all playoffs long. Rarely do they get called. By the rulebook, it's a penalty. But they've ignored it so much of the time that it would actually stand out as exceptional if they picked that particular time to finally call it.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I think the difference on the Reaves goal is that it was completely obvious that the only reason he scored was because of the cross check. It was so obvious I went back and showed my wife wondering why they weren't talking about it (yet).

Disclaimer: I have not analyzed every single playoff scrum that led to a goal to know if this is a unique situation. Simply looking at what I saw in a vacuum of that play.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
The Reeves play was basically an NHL equivalent to a ref in football not calling offensive pass interference. It's like he was a receiver that pushed off to get open and caught a touchdown. It wasn't even really a scrum, it was simply just Reeves cross checking a guy to get space, and of course, would get a goal from it. It is what it is after the fact, but it was obvious

(Edit: I'm embarrassed that I spelled it Reeves. I'm a stickler for spelling names right. Oops.)

Last edited:

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I think the difference on the Reaves goal is that it was completely obvious that the only reason he scored was because of the cross check. It was so obvious I went back and showed my wife wondering why they weren't talking about it (yet).

Disclaimer: I have not analyzed every single playoff scrum that led to a goal to know if this is a unique situation. Simply looking at what I saw in a vacuum of that play.
Exactly. It's not so much that wasnt just one of 100 cross checks, the problem with it was that it is the only reason the goal was able to be scored.

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
Washington worked their butts off to win this game. Glad to see they won it even if it was a close game and game of inches.

Last edited:

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
goaltending is as big as they come to win a cup. hoping saros takes over as starter before next April.

holtby was clutch. that save was insane. fleury looks mediocre so far.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
neal had an awesome snipe on vegas' first goal. he's invisible for stretches just like he was with us though.

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
goaltending is as big as they come to win a cup. hoping saros takes over as starter before next April.

holtby was clutch. that save was insane. fleury looks mediocre so far.

Sadly w/ Saros' small stature I don't think Saros will be our savior either. He will play good imo and I like that he doesn't get as easily frazzled but doubt he is going to make insane/clutch saves like Holtby did as his smaller reach and shorter legs make it difficult for him. However I think he can handle pressure pretty good and doesn't seem to fold as much under pressure like Rinne does. Rinne is a better goalie than Saros due to his size, athleticism, and reach but imo Rinne seems to get distracted/rattled easier than Saros especially when it's a high stakes game and ends up letting in bad goals as a result. If Rinne could get his head on straight when it's a high stakes game and the pressure is on, I would pick him over Saros but since Rinne can't seem to get a control of his nerves and gets rattled/distracted easily and loses focus easily especially in those types of games (high stake games), I like to give Saros a chance/shot as he seems alot more focused and calmer than Rinne in net in those type of games.

Last edited:

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
i hate saros size too.

that save by holtby .. man that was crazy. especially with 2 minutes left! take care of business at home CAPS!

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
caps on 9-3 on the road so far in these playoffs. i don't care two shits about having home ice for the rest of my life on this earth as a hockey fan.

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
I still don't know why people are doubting Saros. The only thing with him is he'll probably have a shorter career as a starter than an average sized goalie because once his quickness and athleticism slip a little bit, the size will become an issue.

I'm just going by watching him play and seeing some of the goals he has let in which were the results of his legs being short and he wasn't able to get his leg back against the post as a result when moving side to side which led to a goal slipping by him. Saros's quickness and athleticism though I think is great in addition to his positioning. If he was just a little bit bigger/taller in stature and had longer legs, think he would be an even better goalie for us, especially since he seems calm and doesn't get easily rattled.

Last edited:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I still don't know why people are doubting Saros. The only thing with him is he'll probably have a shorter career as a starter than an average sized goalie because once his quickness and athleticism slip a little bit, the size will become an issue.
And anyway I don't think we necessarily NEED him to be a long-term Vezina-level superstar goalie. If he can take over as a valid #1 at some point in the next few years and just "get the job done" during this window, that's fine. In fact, if he's more of a Crawford or Quick on salary as opposed to the next young Vezina stud making $10M per, that might even help in some ways.

Saros certainly "looks small" out there, but so far that hasn't hurt him one bit on the ice at any level along the way. As long as that continues, I'm not going to get distracted by it. It's prudent to keep stocking the prospect cupboard anyway, so I like seeing all their late-round goalie draft gambles and free agent signings, who knows what will come of that. But in the meantime I'm reasonably confident in Saros as the immediate successor to Rinne. He'll probably always be on a shorter (ha ha) leash than some goalies due to the optics with his size, but again maybe that will be a good thing if it keeps him on his toes instead of becoming a little complacent once he becomes the full-time starter.

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
Agree with the above. I'm always too bitter/disappointed to watch much of the round following a Preds series loss in any year, but I'm usually interested in watching the SC Final. Not this year. You know it's bad when my lady boss asks to watch it and I'm just thinking about nuking both arenas and watching HGTV instead.

Reactions: predfan98
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad