OT: Around the NHL | Two Weeks Until The Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Are you ten or just a broken record? We get it, you hate Letang, stop beating the dead horse.

Why are you guys crowning the Caps already? One week ago Vegas looked unbeatable and the Caps have a long history of finding ways to lose themselves. Anything can happen. Vegas missed like a zillion glorious chances in game 4.

And for the record I totally don't want Oshie to get a career ending injury or at least a punch in the face. Not at all.

They are up 3-1 and dominating. It would be an absurd comeback for Vegas to win this.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
Agree MAF has regressed. Don't agree that these goals go in all the time. On a low angle shot on 1st goal that rebound HAS to stay short side. 2nd one goes through him. These are goals he was not giving up, til this series.

Bottom line, Knights are facing multiple things they have not yet had to deal with. Trailing in games, trailing in the series, goaltender giving up comparitively large numbers of goals, and NOT making those extra saves, as Torts said. Make a save.

Knights look un-nerved now and are NOT finishing like they have for 3 full series. Literally missing completely empty nets, multiple times in critical situations like late G2, early G4 when the tone of the game could have been different.

At least as important, Braden Holtby apparently has horseshoes surgically implanted in his arse. Far up his arse.

Pens certainly got puck luck last year, but as a G myself, not sure I've ever seen this much ridiculous horseshoes, posts, whiffs, continually, for one goaltender for this long. Ever. It's insane. Hope Braden didn't sell his soul for this. But it sure looks like it.

You and vikingoalie must have not watch much of the VGK first three series. While they dominated the series in terms of games they were the luckiest hockey team i've ever seen. Everytime the other team would score a hardworking goal the knights would get some bullshit crap chance that alwasy went in 2 minutes later. Fleury was making saves on pucks he didn't even know where being shot. I think he had 3 saves off the knob alone.

Reactions: JenniferH

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Come on @vikingGoalie you’re making it hard for some to take your critique seriously when the Pens played the same team and Murray was getting smoked on pretty similar plays and defensive breakdowns. In one series, it’s mostly on the goalie and the other, it’s “those go in on any goalie”. Maybe it’s a combo of both?

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
You and vikingoalie must have not watch much of the VGK first three series. While they dominated the series in terms of games they were the luckiest hockey team i've ever seen. Everytime the other team would score a hardworking goal the knights would get some bull**** crap chance that alwasy went in 2 minutes later. Fleury was making saves on pucks he didn't even know where being shot. I think he had 3 saves off the knob alone.

Eh? Didn't say MAF was not lucky in the prior 3 series, he certainly was at times. But was also brilliant.

Don't agree the VGK were lucky to win, I thought for the most part their speed overwhelmed their opponents, but Helly had a couple of awful games to help them past Peg.

Anyway, not even sure what you're saying.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
No more beards or long hair

No more soft headed players, feeling dizzy? Put'em back in says Ol' Lou! What's that, you don't know your name or where you are? You're fine, get back on the ice kid!

Tavares should run, run as far as he can away from that franchise. He thought it was messed up with Snow? Lou is a maniac.

Reactions: Shady Machine

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Are you ten or just a broken record? We get it, you hate Letang, stop beating the dead horse.

Why are you guys crowning the Caps already? One week ago Vegas looked unbeatable and the Caps have a long history of finding ways to lose themselves. Anything can happen. Vegas missed like a zillion glorious chances in game 4.

And for the record I totally don't want Oshie to get a career ending injury or at least a punch in the face. Not at all.

It has nothing to do with whether I like Letang or not. Everybody is mad the Capitals are going to win a Stanley Cup and it's just a friendly reminder how it's come to this. Vegas is done. They might win one more but the Capitals are just a way better team. Too much speed for Vegas defense.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
They are up 3-1 and dominating. It would be an absurd comeback for Vegas to win this.

Agree. And they look shell shocked, the last kind of team to come back. The goalie who was playing God-like for them is now letting in 4 per game, and they can't score at that pace and they know it.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
Eh? Didn't say MAF was not lucky in the prior 3 series, he certainly was at times. But was also brilliant.

Don't agree the VGK were lucky to win, I thought for the most part their speed overwhelmed their opponents, but Helly had a couple of awful games to help them past Peg.

Anyway, not even sure what you're saying.

I'm saying I don't think vegas was ever as good as their results. They are more lucky for a variety of reasons to be here than the caps.

I agree with MAF, he played great and also got lucky on a lot; same with holtby.

Reactions: turtle27

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
They're breaking down regularly now in ways they rarely did last 3 series. It's certainly credit to Caps for some of it. But not all. They're clutching.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010

Like the Habs in 2010? :)

Seriously, of course it's unlikely to happen but you never know. Vegas getting to the final was more unlikely and it happened. The Caps won Game 2 by an extremely fluky goal and one in a million save in the end, that win is the difference in the series. They have the killer instinct that previous Caps teams lacked and kudos to them for that but this doesn't make the invincible.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
I'm saying I don't think vegas was ever as good as their results. They are more lucky for a variety of reasons to be here than the caps.

I agree with MAF, he played great and also got lucky on a lot; same with holtby.

I think you're on extremely thin ice, no pun intended, to argue that a team coming in at 12-3 was lucky.
Seriously?

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014

Seriously, of course it's unlikely to happen but you never know. Vegas getting to the final was more unlikely and it happened. The Caps won Game 2 by an extremely fluky goal and one in a million save in the end, that win is the difference in the series. They have the killer instinct that previous Caps teams lacked and kudos to them for that but this doesn't make the invincible.

Don't disagree about the narrow diff in the series, obviously some nutty stuff happened G2.

More saying that this team shows all the signs of mentally wondering if they are hitting stroke of midnight on a Cinderella run.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

No one said they were invincible but you asked why people were crowning them champs already so I answered. I hope like hell to be wrong.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
Now that the Caps are on the brink I honestly don't want to watch.

From a tech standpoint, they've seemingly used a fairly plain 1-3-1 and completely snuffed the speed of Pens, Bolts and now Knights. Bolts caved embarssingly of course, and our Pens were whipped...but no excuse for the Knights.

What is it about this system which has been seen before , or maybe how they're doing it?...which is making it so crazy good?

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
What is it about this system which has been seen before , or maybe how they're doing it?...which is making it so crazy good?

Nothing special. Pens and Bolts should have beat them. The west is slow. Vegas won with our b team because of their speed. The fastest team they played was Winnipeg. We didn't get to see them against the Preds who would have given them fits. Capitals beat two of the fastest teams in the league; Pens and Bolts. Vegas has Engelland and McNabb on their top 2 D pairs and it's catching up with them.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
Well, even as tired as we were I agree Pens should have beat them, in 5 actually. Just hold a 3rd period lead in G3 and G5, as we had done all year, and it's over.
Amazing to think about now, actually! We had a real shot at three. Incredible.
And ironic that we shut them down w a trap in G4 and then never went back to it. But don't get me started lol.

As for the Bolts, done with them. They've shown repeatedly they're soft baby poo when it counts. Actually thought Cooper may have been in trouble after this latest implosion but whatever. They're zeros in the crunch.

I dunno. There seems more to the trap Caps are playing, maybe just their speed in transition and the incredible conversion rate on odd-mans w Kuzy? Props to him much as I hate the bird-poop dance. At least he's not a dirty slimeball.
I'd pick him for C-S over OV.

That plus the horseshoes Holtby has implanted in his colon. And here the Caps are.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Now that the Caps are on the brink I honestly don't want to watch.

From a tech standpoint, they've seemingly used a fairly plain 1-3-1 and completely snuffed the speed of Pens, Bolts and now Knights. Bolts caved embarssingly of course, and our Pens were whipped...but no excuse for the Knights.

Ovie, Kuznetsov and Backstrom are finally producing consistently (Kuzy especially) compared to their regular season numbers. Quality depth production. People underrated their D which is perfect for today’s NHL. Holtby is literally the best post season goalie in the last ten years.

Reactions: JenniferH

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I don't see it as speed burning Vegas.

Caps played dirty.
Vegas wanted to play dirty back, but by doing so they also abandoned what got them there, playing like a hungry team. They're now chasing the Caps trying to "get back" at them in some way or another except the score sheet.

They need to refocus big time. That team can take it to 7 and I 100% believe that, but they really need to get back to their game.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Ovie, Kuznetsov and Backstrom are finally producing consistently (Kuzy especially) compared to their regular season numbers. Quality depth production. People underrated their D which is perfect for today’s NHL. Holtby is literally the best post season goalie in the last ten years.

Ironically, the Caps are winning because of one of the same reasons the Pens won back to back: They have multiple elite players and they're finally producing like elite players.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Nothing special. Pens and Bolts should have beat them. The west is slow. Vegas won with our b team because of their speed. The fastest team they played was Winnipeg. We didn't get to see them against the Preds who would have given them fits. Capitals beat two of the fastest teams in the league; Pens and Bolts. Vegas has Engelland and McNabb on their top 2 D pairs and it's catching up with them.
Bolts? They sucked. Even the three games they won they sucked. I had zero, zero doubts even after 3:2 that Caps would won. Pens had a legit shot, that was lucky bounce and goaltending going their way (even that we did not play the greatest hockey)

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Ironically, the Caps are winning because of one of the same reasons the Pens won back to back: They have multiple elite players and they're finally producing like elite players.
this....everything clicking, and their bottom six is flying, they never stop skating, they are disciplined, playing winning hockey...

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
Come on @vikingGoalie you’re making it hard for some to take your critique seriously when the Pens played the same team and Murray was getting smoked on pretty similar plays and defensive breakdowns. In one series, it’s mostly on the goalie and the other, it’s “those go in on any goalie”. Maybe it’s a combo of both?

Fleury has regressed, no doubt about it. Sorry if I overstated the goals go in on "anyone". I can be pretty critical on fleury but it's little things, last game. He was just a little not square on the first goal the shot was going top far corner, it's not like it was aimed at his chest it was a well placed shot, he fought it off but since he wasn't square to the shooter it trickled farside. Grade A scoring chance, he stops it but because of his mistake the attacker crashing the net with defender at his back gets an easy goal. Definitely a mistake by fleury.

However let's use this vid for reference:

Goal 4 against, very similar. I was not happy with Murray because Ovechkin is a right handed shot below the dot, there is literally no reason in the world to be that far out of your net you can't argue he's being aggressive and taking the shot away, he just lost his net completely. That is a much much bigger mistake then not being 100% square to the shooter.
Now the similarity is that the defense did him no favors at all. If you look closely Sheehan is trying to get his stick in the way, it looks like Ovie is tryin to pass, letang is actually in a decent spot, BUT the attacker at his back changes direction at the same time the puck hits Sheehan's stick and goes right to him. Letang is not aware of were his man went, combined with the fact that for no apparent reason Murray is 2 feet out of his net means it's an easy goal. Both goal 1 of game 4 for Fleury, and game 5 goal 4 against Murray have goal tender miscues. I just think that Murray's was a big mistake, and fleury's was a smaller one. Though both ended up in the net so...

Also in that video above, I don't think I need to say anything about goal #2 against other woof!

Goal 1 against, I want to say just good shot by karlsson, but when I really look at it Murray is so crouched and he doesn't really do himself favors trying to find the puck. There was a sight line to be had on that puck I remember Milbury saying he could see the puck but just doesn't pick it up, I dunno if Murray just couldn't pick it up or the bodies got him unfocused or what. I just hate pucks from that far out going in. Still this is not as egregious as the other 2 goals I just mentioned in game 5. But why harp on Murray? I do like Fleury, but he's not my goalie no more, and I worry more about the guys with a penguins sweater. Fleury is not a Penguin anymore, wish him the best but that's it. Also. Vegas is not exactly setting themselves up to succeed and the only thing holding them back is goal tending right now. They are literally missing crazy good chances, and Holtby is literally one of the luckiest goalies I have watched.

Pens out played the Caps 4 out of 6 games, despite being injuried like crazy, despite our boneheaded lapses we still had MORE grade A scoring opportunities. This is not the case in Vegas/Caps. I don't feel like Vegas has played like they have been able to against other opponents.

So game 6, that first goal Murray let up was another woof. BUT we didn't put up more then 1, just can't win that way. Like vegas we did get grade A chances and beat Holtby, and hit posts or just missed.

My critique on Fleury right now. He is making mostly minor mistakes. They become noticeable because against the caps and the way the hockey gods have this going any mistake against the caps will go in the net. Especially since every cap seems to make it to the net unimpeded. The big thing is he is making far too many mistakes. So while he is not perhaps making a worse play then say murray, he's making more mistakes and it's really killing Vegas right now.

Game 4 was really bad for Fleury, the corsi, danger chances are all super lopsided in Vegas's favor. I was surprised how lopsided the stats came out. In all fairness I turned the game off after the 3rd goal against vegas. The way pucks were going in and how the knights couldn't convert it was over.
Vegas played the game they should have, but Holtby was very very lucky. ANY mistake fleury made was going in the net. High danger chances, 12 for vegas, 5 for the caps. Corsi was over 60% for vegas. They needed fleury to be a lot better in this, I don't think this is the same as pucks going in off the back boards and him putting it in his net bad. Fleury is not as bad as those stats say, but he is definitely not playing well and no matter how you slice it when you out play the caps like that statistically you need to win whether it's Offense not converting, defense breaking down badly, or goalie not playing well. I think all 3 are in play here. But regardless it is a must win game Fleury needed to come up big for them instead he laid an egg. Stinks because he's a great guy and the previous 3 rounds should be almost required viewing for aspiring goalies.

Who knows fleury has it in him to steal the next 2 games and force game 7, I highly doubt that that happens. But I really don't want to see Tom Wilson with a cup above his head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad