Around the NHL - Playoffs? We're Talkin' 'bout Playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OscarsCards

Spooky action at a distance
Mar 13, 2013
Cesis
Rangers top latest franchise valuations as NHL now boasts four billion-dollar teams | The Hockey News

1. New York Rangers — $1.5 billion
2. Toronto Maple Leafs — $1.4 billion
3. Montreal Canadiens — $1.25 billion
4. Chicago Blackhawks — $1 billion
5. Boston Bruins — $890 million
27. Carolina Hurricanes — $370 million
28. Buffalo Sabres — $350 million
29. Columbus Blue Jackets — $315 million
30. Florida Panthers — $305 million
31. Arizona Coyotes — $300 million

I haven't seen anyone mentioning this one. So, who's buying?

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Another unfortunate side effect of adding another team is watching an already Pejorative Slured lottery system get worse. This would drop it down to what 16% or lower for first overall as the last placed team? Glad they're balancing the teams out but damn the NHL draft is stupid as is.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Another unfortunate side effect of adding another team is watching an already ******ed lottery system get worse. This would drop it down to what 16% or lower for first overall as the last placed team? Glad they're balancing the teams out but damn the NHL draft is stupid as is.

I've always thought a draft lottery is dumb. It doesn't prevent tanking. Just play it straight the way the NFL does. Unless there's some weird circumstance like a year-long lock-out where you're deciding the draft order.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
I've always thought a draft lottery is dumb. It doesn't prevent tanking. Just play it straight the way the NFL does. Unless there's some weird circumstance like a year-long lock-out where you're deciding the draft order.
It literally prevents tanking. Otherwise Botts and Chayka will be in a race to sell anything non-essential for Dahlin.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
It literally prevents tanking. Otherwise Botts and Chayka will be in a race to sell anything non-essential for Dahlin.

Selling everything off isn't tanking. The players on the ice losing on purpose is tanking. Either way worst team should get the top pick unless its exactly that "tanking aka losing on purpose."

People laugh and point to Buffalo, Arizona, Florida, Edmonton, etc for being at the bottom every year..well its only going to get worse with their ever Pejorative Slured lottery system. If you're not getting the top picks in the draft then you better hope you're drafting and trading well. Which if those teams could do those two things they wouldn't be on the bottom...hence lottery is bullshit.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Selling everything off isn't tanking. The players on the ice losing on purpose is tanking.
Well that's your interpretation. Mine includes both scenarios. One is players tanking and the other is GMs tanking...Lottery isn't bullshit. That's just your opinion. I am 100% in favour of it.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Well that's your interpretation. Mine includes both scenarios. One is players tanking and the other is GMs tanking...Lottery isn't bull****. That's just your opinion. I am 100% in favour of it.

Reminds me of people who can't get a math problem right so they say they use "oldschool math and say scientific calculators are wrong." You're essentially trying to redefine a word just cuz you feel like it.

Lottery is absolute bullshit. A team who just misses the playoffs has no business selecting the best player in the draft. The fans shouldn't have to suffer being the worst team and then losing out on the top talent and watching their team perpetually suck ass.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Reminds me of people who can't get a math problem right so they say they use "oldschool math and say scientific calculators are wrong." You're essentially trying to redefine a word just cuz you feel like it.

Lottery is absolute bull****. A team who just misses the playoffs has no business selecting the best player in the draft. The fans shouldn't have to suffer being the worst team and then losing out on the top talent and watching their team perpetually suck ass.
You fail to understand that this is your opinion and not everyone has to agree with you. Don't talk to me about math.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
You fail to understand that this is your opinion and not everyone has to agree with you. Don't talk to me about math.

So why do you like draft lotteries? Your team is in last place, they're not tanking even under your usage of the word yet they will most likely end up picking 4th overall. How is that a good thing?

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
So why do you like draft lotteries? Your team is in last place, they're not tanking even under your usage of the word yet they will most likely end up picking 4th overall. How is that a good thing?
Cause I find it more fair to teams that don't try to suck on purpose. Simple as that.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

Would love to hear how you reconcile that opinion with the fact the Botterill put a "for sale" sign on most of the team.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Would love to hear how you reconcile that opinion with the fact the Botterill put a "for sale" sign on most of the team.
There is getting return on assets you don't see in your future team and then there is tanking to last place in the league for a specific player...

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Fun watching Jets-Lightning early. If ever there was a team that went through down times with a lot of highly touted youngsters who needed time to mature, it's been the Jets.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
No it doesn't.

Oh really? Is that why no one is trying to lose on purpose in the last 2-3 seasons like us and Arizona did in the tank for McEichel? Yes - we and Arizona suck but there is no intentional tanking. It was the same with Colorado last year and Toronto/Edmonton the year before that. When you have a quite real chance to pick outside of top 3 even if you completely tank on purpose you have no big incentive to do so. When you are guaranteed top 1 or 2 pick (depending if we are talking no lottery at all or what we got for Eichel), then there is much clearer incentive to tank and teams have done so in the past...hell, we have.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Watching him and McAvoy perform pretty well so early on stings. I'm hoping this is just buffalo pessimism talking, but I fear nylander ends up being much closer to an ennis type player than a top line winger.
If it makes you feel any better, they wouldn't be anywhere near this level if they got drafted by Buffalo.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
The draft lottery is bullshit because we always get screwed when we actually deserve a top pick. Before we drafted Eichel and Reinhart the Sabres had picked top 4 twice in franchise history. And one of those times was as an expansion team. We got screwed in the 05 lottery when we had just a good a chance at Crosby as the Pens and they conveniently end up with Sidney right when they were on the verge of relocating and we end up with pick 13 and Zagrapan. Don't get me started on us getting screwed on McDavid so the Oilers can pick first yet again.

The NHL always does stuff ass backwards and it's no surprise why it's a dying league so far behind the big Boys that the NHL is closer to the 6th/7th biggest league then it is to the big 3. NFL MLB NBA and EPL are so much bigger then the NHL it isn't funny.

The lotto should go back to how it was. You finish last you are guaranteed a top 2 pick. You also are limited to moving up 5 spots. So if a fringe team who missed the playoffs by a point wins the lotto they would go from picking 15 to 10. Going from 15 to 1 is f***ing bullshit. I hate this league. And enough with expansion, this league cannot handle another team. 32 teams is ridiculous and will make the product far too diluted. If anything they should contract Arizona and relocate a different team to Seattle. 32 teams is just so dumb. I remember when there were only 26 teams in the mid 90's then we saw Nashville and Minnesota and then Atlanta and Columbus enter the league. Ever since the product has been garbage as the league entered the dpe. 30 teams max. Contract and/or relocate, not grant a second expansion team

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
The draft lottery is bull**** because we always get screwed when we actually deserve a top pick.

We don't "deserve" anything for being shit at drafting in the 1st round and developing and trading players. We deserve to be where we are. I bet if we were a team on the cusp of playoffs you'll all be like "lottery is great cause we can still get great picks cause we tried hard to make playoffs but couldn't do it this year". Didn't even bother reading after this sentence as it can't possibly make any sense after that start...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->