NHL Around the NHL - Regular Season 2017-18 III - Rangers fire Alain Vigneault

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Bossy is a francophone, no?

Bossy is impeccably bilingual, pretty impressive considering the fact he did not speak a word of French until the age of 16 when he met his future wife Lucie. “I lost the coin toss and had to learn French,” he said. “When we moved to New York, though, she had to learn English.”

Laval hockey icon Mike Bossy on the Islanders and TVA Sports

He's probably exaggerating though, he would have known a lot of french growing up in Montreal. The city might be the most bilingual city on the planet. His family is definitely anglo though, all his nine siblings have anglo names.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Bossy is impeccably bilingual, pretty impressive considering the fact he did not speak a word of French until the age of 16 when he met his future wife Lucie. “I lost the coin toss and had to learn French,” he said. “When we moved to New York, though, she had to learn English.”

Laval hockey icon Mike Bossy on the Islanders and TVA Sports

He's probably exaggerating though, he would have known a lot of french growing up in Montreal. The city might be the most bilingual city on the planet. His family is definitely anglo though, all his nine siblings have anglo names.

I know many anglophones in Montreal over the age of 50 who only know basic French - for reasons I don't fully understand it seems harder for an anglophone to learn another language - see USA. Great Britain. English Canada etc.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
I was shocked 2 years ago to see Don Cherry give an interview IN FRENCH to RDS. He played in Three Rivers, QC (Trois-Rivières) wherein the 50's English did not exist.

Now that would floor me. Don Cherry would be one guy I would be surprised to be fluent in French as well!

Thrive

Scoish Velociraptor Maloish
Jan 10, 2009
Massachusetts
How do you think he would be viewed here if he chose the B's and put up similar numbers?
Isn’t the story going that the Hayes family talked Jimmy Vesey out of signing with the Bruins based on how Jimmy Hayes was being treated by the Bruins media and fans? I’m pretty certain I remember that being posted here a couple of summers ago.

I think we now have our answer why he would fear such a thing...

Bread and Circuses

Smile and wave.
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2010
Somewhere in the middle
Isn’t the story going that the Hayes family talked Jimmy Vesey out of signing with the Bruins based on how Jimmy Hayes was being treated by the Bruins media and fans? I’m pretty certain I remember that being posted here a couple of summers ago.

I think we now have our answer why he would fear such a thing...

I agree, I would not have signed here at that uncertain time in B's history if I were him either.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Curious how Jimmy Vesey feels about his decision of two years ago now

Reading the Donato thread and the immediate expectations he probably feels good about his decision lol.

I wonder how much winning truly means to some of these kids. He spurned the Predators for cryin out loud, a team certainly on the way up. The Bruins had a load of competition on the left, plus playing at "home".

For me, I'm not an athlete but if I was and my favorite team wanted me to play for them it would be a no brainer.

Reactions: Thrive

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
29339591_10214680385736007_2553642706429542400_o.jpg

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I agree, I would not have signed here at that uncertain time in B's history if I were him either.

Things can change pretty quickly and he would have fit right in with what the B’s were trying to do.

Part of me says I understand why he wouldn’t want to play in Boston (and what comes with it)...part of me says that if he is afraid to deal with playing poorly in his hometown, he doesn’t have a lot of confidence in himself and I’m not sure I want him on the team.

Reactions: Thrive

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Locker room didn't react well to the Statsny deal I'm sure.

I’m not saying I agree or disagree, but Armstrong probably got fed up with the (mostly) early exits of the Blues during his tenure. I haven’t gone back and looked, but I believe he has added at every deadline before this one when the team was in contention.

It’s interesting because this was pretty much the same situation with Boston and Loui in his walk year when Sweeney decided to keep him. Armstrong went the other way and has to deal with the consequences now (although it might help him down the road).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->