Around The NHL - Back in the Saddle Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
COG had delusions of grandeur. They thought that if they built a hockey arena and spring training facilities it would put Glendale on the map, in the same ballpark, so to speak, as Scottsdale and Phoenix. Glendale screwed itself.

Without dredging up the exceedingly dead horse that makes even the Dave Tippett debate look fresh and whimsical, I'll just say that Scottsdale was already smart enough to tell the Coyotes to pound sand rather than pony up the bucks for an arena. In retrospect they appear to be wiser than us all. Hopefully they'll stay smart and not offer the Mutts a dime.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Don't forget the fact that the Coyotes already have a nice arena that we bought for them. Other than one miracle season, the team has played mostly boring, bad, losing hockey. Funny how that never comes up when they talk attendance. It's always location. Just like the rest of the USA these days, the Yotes blame their woes on others. Nobody wants to take responsibility for themselves. Corporate welfare is just another extension of that. Give me a new arena because I can't stay rich supporting myself. Pathetic.

If the Coyotes were successful on ice for the last decade we would not be talking about any of this. The recession came at the worst time for this franchise, but I believe with the economy in Arizona much better you may see the team sold yet again, but to a more heeled person. Whether they stay at Glendale or elsewhere in the valley is the sixty four thousand dollar question.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Who wants to play, "Guess which former Coyotes center has already missed double-digit games with injuries this season?"

With all the complaining about Stepan, I'm sure glad we dodged a bullet there.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
If the Coyotes were successful on ice for the last decade we would not be talking about any of this. The recession came at the worst time for this franchise, but I believe with the economy in Arizona much better you may see the team sold yet again, but to a more heeled person. Whether they stay at Glendale or elsewhere in the valley is the sixty four thousand dollar question.
If what I've been told is correct, we will see new ownership very soon. A portion of that ownership (less than 50%) will be SRPMIC, who will also build and own a new facility on their land.

We'll see.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Interesting. I know municipalities can't hold ownership, but I guess this is a little different.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
If what I've been told is correct, we will see new ownership very soon. A portion of that ownership (less than 50%) will be SRPMIC, who will also build and own a new facility on their land.

We'll see.

I know you can't/won't tell us specifically who told you this, but can you tell us are they part of SRPMIC, the Coyotes Org., city government, etc.?

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Have you also heard this? Because the time frame is supposed a mere blink of an eye, in relation to this saga. Like the end of the month blink. I was told over a month ago that Barroway wont be able to meet payroll past then and that Bettman has the majority owner, with SRPMIC on board.
I figure if we see or at least hear nothing by end of January, it's all just more crap.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Have you also heard this? Because the time frame is supposed a mere blink of an eye, in relation to this saga. Like the end of the month blink. I was told over a month ago that Barroway wont be able to meet payroll past then and that Bettman has the majority owner, with SRPMIC on board.
I figure if we see or at least hear nothing by end of January, it's all just more crap.

Much as I would like to believe this, I can't imagine that this would be happening without a single leak or hint of public awareness - particularly if the timeline is that compressed. But who knows - maybe we are due for a belated Christmas present.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Much as I would like to believe this, I can't imagine that this would be happening without a single leak or hint of public awareness - particularly if the timeline is that compressed. But who knows - maybe we are due for a belated Christmas present.
Let's be honest. There is zero media interest in the Coyotes locally. Morgan is employed by the league who could have reason to keep it secret. The other sports guys wouldn't bother to ask anything of anyone from the Coyotes. It'd mean someone in the org would have to reach out. And they probably don't want to. Outside the market the only interest is in them leaving.

I don't think this is particularly likely as scenarios go, but just because nothing has been whispered in the paper or on the news probably means little at this point because our local media is garbage. It would leak from NY or Ontario if it happens.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
You know who continues to look incredibly underwhelming? Nolan Patrick. Still, Flyers confirmed today he's not going to WJC. He's kind of like Strome a year ago. Too good for junior and can't go to the A.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
COG had delusions of grandeur. They thought that if they built a hockey arena and spring training facilities it would put Glendale on the map, in the same ballpark, so to speak, as Scottsdale and Phoenix. Glendale screwed itself.

Meh... that was Elaine Scruggs and her ego. At the time the valley had explosive growth and every city wanted to flex their muscles a bit. It was eat or be eaten.

Ellman sold them on a vision that, had the economy not tanked, might have just pulled that off. But hindsight is always 20-20.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014

We'll see.
You’re new here. Any way you can confirm your source confidentially with a Mod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad