Around the NHL Discussion Part XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
My god the Rangers and Coyotes are terrible. I wasn't expecting much from either...but I expected at the very least signs of life. How does a top-3 GM in this league (lol HFboards) assemble a team with 1 point through five games...AFTER revamping the defense?

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
I bet they feel pretty stupid about choosing Subban over Pickard now. If they don't, they will soon.

I doubt the difference between Pickard and Subban is that great, people on this board like to think Pickard is the next coming of Hasak or something. At this point you do not even know what you have in either of them.

Bye Felicia

Apr 26, 2016
I'm pretty interested in seeing the Vegas game on Saturday. Having watched a few Vegas games, they really don't look good despite the record, but it's like their players have no idea how bad they're supposed to be. They're a fun team.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I doubt the difference between Pickard and Subban is that great, people on this board like to think Pickard is the next coming of Hasak or something. At this point you do not even know what you have in either of them.

I don't really think anybody is trying to make Pickard out to be Hasek, but he's at last proven himself to be a capable backup at the NHL level. Subban yet to do that.

Reactions: Dbrownss

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I feel oh so bad because the Rangers & Stars are staring up at playoff positions.
From the games I've watched, Dallas' defense is still very bad. Bishop has been better than I expected. I sincerely wonder if Hitchcock has lost his edge. I think this may wind up being viewed as a bad hire in hindsight, where he's just chasing records and lacks the fire to turn that team around or harness their offensive talent.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
From the games I've watched, Dallas' defense is still very bad. Bishop has been better than I expected. I sincerely wonder if Hitchcock has lost his edge. I think this may wind up being viewed as a bad hire in hindsight, where he's just chasing records and lacks the fire to turn that team around or harness their offensive talent.

I think Hitch was a good hire for them in the sense that he's a defensive first coach, which should help them mask some of their defensive deficiencies. In theory at least. In practice though, I think their back end is so bad that it really neuters the impact Hitch's defensive game plan can have. His defensive system really seems to thrive when he's got defensemen that are effective in transition. Klingberg is really the only dangerous guy they have in that department.

I don't expect them to be this bad for too long, but I also don't look for them to be this juggernaut that all the experts are predicting. In the end, I expect them to be competitive for a playoff spot but don't think they'll make any sort of meaningful run.

I also don't buy the argument (not that you are making it) that Hitch neuters top players' offense. He certainly didn't do it with Tarasenko. Guys like Benn and Seguin are going to score. They have too much talent not to. On the whole, Dallas has too much offensive talent to struggle offensively for a length period of time. Can the offense carry the load for the defense? I doubt it. Especially considering how important the transition game as become. But we shall see I suppose.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
The Bruins are getting beaten more than a child-molester in prison. It's going to be a long season in Boston.

Edit: I guess they're only 2-3...but the Avs have gotten them twice, and now Vegas. That stings.

Reactions: AVictoryDive

Splatter

Sep 13, 2010
St. Louis
The Bruins are getting beaten more than a child-molester in prison. It's going to be a long season in Boston.

Edit: I guess they're only 2-3...but the Avs have gotten them twice, and now Vegas. That stings.

That Malcolm Subban beat them not long after they waived him has to hurt.

Reactions: Blueston
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad