Around the NHL 2017-2018 Offseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I wouldn't call them bad necessarily. Their goaltending and defense are still very good. Balanced scoring used to be their bread and butter. Now if Kopitar and Carter don't score this happens.
They’re tied for dead last in playoff wins the last 4 seasons, that’s pretty bad.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Peeking in on the Kings board it sounds like the only option is to re-tool. Luc and Blake have hinted at the fact. They're not letting go of Kopitar or Quick, and Doughty at 30 will be guaranteed a fat contract in 2 years. Boston is viewed as the ideal as an older core who's injecting youth successfully, but IMO we still need to see what that brings in the 2nd round to judge. Also they have 8 (?) young guys contributing where LA has nowhere near the depth.

It's a lot like the Wings. Cup wins brought on loyalty, reward based contracts/trades which neglected a vision for the future. Human error. Brown at 5.85 for 4 more seasons is an albatross, locked into 33 yo Carter, Taffoli and Pearson, Phaneuf, is not a good look. They need to trade to add some speed, draft picks maybe, and pray the next wave can take the reigns.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I wouldn't call them bad necessarily. Their goaltending and defense are still very good. Balanced scoring used to be their bread and butter. Now if Kopitar and Carter don't score this happens.

Yep, they have no depth. Toffoli isn't that good and much of their success this season came with the rebirth of Dustin Brown. They need more scoring, which has been their issue for a long time.

Reactions: Red Stanley

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Boston is viewed as the ideal as an older core who's injecting youth successfully

They would be in big trouble in Brad Marchand never developed into one of the best players in the league at 30. Let's be honest here. Crusty old Chara still holds that defense together, too.

Four years after a championship, the Kings look listless, and national media is openly asking if now is the time to start the rebuild:

https://www.tsn.ca/talent/time-has-come-for-the-kings-to-rebuild-1.1061737

Shades of five years ago...

The Toronto media wants Doughty to leave LA and join the Leafs. Of course they'd write that article.

LA doesn't need to rebuild. They have one of the best goalies in the league, one of the best centers in the league and one of the best defensemen in the league. They need to retool, not rebuild, and pray they get a couple cap compliance buyouts during the next CBA. LA's current situation isn't anything at all like Detroit five years ago.

Last edited:

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Seth Jones not being a Norris Finalist is wrong, I thought he should outright win it this year.

It's taken me a long time to appreciate why you've talked up Jones for years. I mean I know he's good but last game he stole a puck off a players stick and made his his way up ice with moves I don't think I've ever seen a human do on skates. It's amazing his strength seems to be multiplying season by season.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
It's taken me a long time to appreciate why you've talked up Jones for years. I mean I know he's good but last game he stole a puck off a players stick and made his his way up ice with moves I don't think I've ever seen a human do on skates. It's amazing his strength seems to be multiplying season by season.

Tampa could be playing him and Hedman together for half the game....

I had Seth Jones #1 on my board in his draft year.

I do like Dahlin more in terms of a prospect which tells you something about this draft in my opinion. But it reminds me of the 2013 top 8 or 9 in terms of this year, I wasn't high on the Halifax winger in that draft as everyone else either. Should be fun to watch.

Seth Jones is going to be a very big deal, should the NHL go to China I think he will be the best D-man at that tournament as that will be exactly in his prime.

Reactions: Winger98

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Not sure where to put this, but Elias Pettersson is just destroying the SHL. Regular season scoring leader, and now they've won the championship and he's the leader in playoff scoring and has won their Conn Smythe.

That's a helluva d+1 year.
Yep, sick player. Broke Axel Holmstrom’s U20 playoff scoring record too.
He was my first choice in the draft, shame he didn’t fall.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
Not sure where to put this, but Elias Pettersson is just destroying the SHL. Regular season scoring leader, and now they've won the championship and he's the leader in playoff scoring and has won their Conn Smythe.

That's a helluva d+1 year.
Vancouver scored a gem

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Ottawa is a shit show

the Hoffman fiancé fiasco, now karlsson is rumored to have requested a trade

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Seems kind of pointless to me. A lateral move at best for montreal.... but considering Galchenyuk has produced better over the years id say he's the better player. Why do this?

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I'd say Domi has more potential than Galchenyuk, but Galchenyuk is definitely the better player right now, and was the only player on that team with any capacity to play center well. Bergevin is impressively bad at his job.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think Domi will be better than Galchenyuk. Who knows though.

I am actually pretty bullish on Arizona becoming a playoff team with this trade. Gally has looked good when he is allowed to play center, if Tkachuk falls to them they can also help protect him with a dominant 200 foot winger that covers for some of his areas of concern. We will have to see how the draft plays out, but I will never understand how the Habs handled Gally's development, happy for him he has escaped that situation and happy for USA hockey because he can still play a big part for those teams if he gets his career back on track.

Reactions: Frk It and mantha39
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad