Around the NHL 2017-2018 Offseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Some TML fans starting to question Babcock. I am not sure the general consensus is, but it does seem there are a few vocal folks getting agitated with his system.

In fairness, other TMLs fans think he's just trying to make Matthews a more complete player (and used Yzerman-Bowman as an example). Another said "This is what all the wings fans said" [about Babcock].

Blashill is proving not to be a good coach for DRWs, but I think we should all be happy that Babcock is gone. Especially under our current state of the team/rebuild.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I’m just happy the abdelkaders weren’t developed enough yet in 08.

Babcock really couldn’t put a useless player in the top lines. The worst he couldve done is use the grind line and they were clutch

There was cleary but he was good then, holmstrom was the best net front guy in the league. And Samuelsson wasn’t bad either

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'm happy we moved on from Babcock, but he's a damn good coach, he has TML positioned as the second best team in the East, and he's grooming Matthews to be a top flight, two-way #1 center. They need to appreciate how good they have it because it can be gone in a flash.

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
yes, i like babcock as coach as well. Every coach has traits oder preferences that might upset some fans, but when you have a guy like babcock you have to trust the process, it guess :sarcasm:

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I'm happy we moved on from Babcock, but he's a damn good coach, he has TML positioned as the second best team in the East, and he's grooming Matthews to be a top flight, two-way #1 center. They need to appreciate how good they have it because it can be gone in a flash.
He's a good coach, but there's enough evidence to suggest many players in the league don't want to play for him. I know all players have their preferences, and I'm sure a guy like Torts is on a lot of people's list, but Babcock certainly has a reputation.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
John Carlson is having a hell of a bounce-back season. Just in time for that UFA status. And Josh Bailey? Holy hell. Coaching change has to have played a part in that.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Heard on the radio today that NHL.com ranked the greatest NHL captains of all-time, Jonathan Toews was #7.

Stevie Y was number 3 apparently.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
If you haven't watched Vegas play, try to catch a game. The Vegas-LA game tonight was the most fun I've had watching a game this season and really put in perspective how far off the Wings really are.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
If you haven't watched Vegas play, try to catch a game. The Vegas-LA game tonight was the most fun I've had watching a game this season and really put in perspective how far off the Wings really are.
If ever there was evidence of the importance of coaching..

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
If ever there was evidence of the importance of coaching..
You ain't kidding. I don't know Vegas' team enough to compare the talent level to the Wings but boy does Gallant have them looking like a legit 25-9 team.

Not only are they visibly fast, they play fast. Breakouts take a couple seconds and they're off. The Red Wings for how much speed they have are the exact opposite.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
It's amazing how Yzerman continues to get insane value out of situations where his hands are tied. Sergachev looks like an absolute beast where Drouin looks just as average as ever.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
A team built entirely on skating, they don't have a single below average skater.

I don't think anybody saw this coming obviously, but they very much have a team identity and strength.

I haven’t watched a single game. But having 3 goalies that put up starter numbers is pretty good.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
the vegas golden knights are becoming one of the greatest sports stories in recent memory imo. it's too bad hockey is so niche because they aren't getting nearly the attention they deserve from the rest of the sports media

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
You ain't kidding. I don't know Vegas' team enough to compare the talent level to the Wings but boy does Gallant have them looking like a legit 25-9 team.

Not only are they visibly fast, they play fast. Breakouts take a couple seconds and they're off. The Red Wings for how much speed they have are the exact opposite.

FUnny thing is that Gallant's Columbus Bluejackets team was one of the worst-coached teams I ever saw.
Guy must have learned a lot over time.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Montreal on their way to a 5th straight loss.
Team defense looks terrible without Weber.

Good god this division blows.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI

Took your advice! Watched vs. Nashville last evening and yeah it was a fun, offensively opened up game. They have their own feel. I think Vegas made some really smart choices picking up Marchessault, Theodore, Neal, Smith, Perron, etc. Solid but underrated players. Karlsson is having a breakout season.

Another obvious contrast to the Wings is the energy surrounding their team. Sold out seats shoulder to shoulder. You can tell there are a lot of observers new to hockey which is neat. Even their practices are sold out, standing room only!

What strikes me is that the Knights are only in the the building stage. From NHL.com-

"Thanks to maneuvering in the expansion draft they had 13 picks in the 2017 draft, including three in the top 15 and three in the second round. They turned them into five centers, four wings, two defensemen and two goaltenders. They have extra picks in years to come, including three in each of the second and third rounds in the 2019 draft and three in the second of the 2020 draft."

Now that is hoarding draft picks lol.

MikeyDee

Dec 29, 2017
Metro Detroit
Took your advice! Watched vs. Nashville last evening and yeah it was a fun, offensively opened up game. They have their own feel. I think Vegas made some really smart choices picking up Marchessault, Theodore, Neal, Smith, Perron, etc. Solid but underrated players. Karlsson is having a breakout season.

Another obvious contrast to the Wings is the energy surrounding their team. Sold out seats shoulder to shoulder. You can tell there are a lot of observers new to hockey which is neat. Even their practices are sold out, standing room only!

What strikes me is that the Knights are only in the the building stage. From NHL.com-

"Thanks to maneuvering in the expansion draft they had 13 picks in the 2017 draft, including three in the top 15 and three in the second round. They turned them into five centers, four wings, two defensemen and two goaltenders. They have extra picks in years to come, including three in each of the second and third rounds in the 2019 draft and three in the second of the 2020 draft."

Now that is hoarding draft picks lol.

Thanks, Bettman. I'm sure the idea was to reincarnate the Islanders or the Oilers from the 80's... watch and see... my "bold" prediction... They won't win has many Cups, but they will be just as competitive (IMO) the next five years plus.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
I'm sure having 13 players playing for a new contract is helping Vegas' cause to some degree. March just signed an extension today bumping his salary up next year quite a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->