Around the NHL - Playoffs? We're Talkin' 'bout Playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
The Sabres board is a psychiatrist's dream. First goal of the season against and the season is over, major changes are needed and preseason draft rankings are broken out. They are the only team struggling out of the gate, all the other 30 teams are undefeated to start the season. Let's give it a couple weeks, if they are still playing like this then find the ledges to jump.
a psychologist's dream, to be more accurate.

and I agree, except I match your couple weeks and raise you 3-4 months

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Not really sure where to discuss this but I really dislike these new slashing & faceoffs rules changes so far.

I can see where they maybe had a negative effect on O'Reilly, too. I wonder if that's had anything to do with his struggles in the first few games.

You'd always see him all over the puck carrier, hounding them with those little taps and hacks and now it's much harder to do that because it's being called a slashing penalty.

Faceoffs were also a huge part of his game and that has been taken away a bit now too. Lots of guys are very timid in the face off circle right now.
I'm sure guys will adjust as time goes on though.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Damn. Never seen Foligno clocked like that before.

Kudos for staying on your feet.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Moments ago, Taylor Hall being interviewed btwn periods against the Caps... (down 3 -1)
Interviewer: "you guys made the first 3 games look easy".....
Hall: "1st three games we were playing teams that wanted to run and gun and play aggressive hockey. Washington plays a more structured game...."

Implications for Buffalo are pretty evident. You can want to play a run and gun 5 man attack style but if you don't have the players whose skill set support that (or they are not ready or sufficiently trained to do so), it's not going to automatically happen.

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
Halls comments / not having the players to run and gun: stuff like this makes me so salty because after the Eichel pick fans were optimistic but patient. The Sabres literally wasted two years, and acquired players that are no longer fits. Instead of having our core players learning a system of the future we played a different style.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Can someone explain to me why Vegas is better at passing the puck than Buffalo?

- Coaching/system is just as new
- Players are unfamiliar with each other
- Players are (on paper) less talented

Wtf

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co

Wtf
I'm not watching Vegas so I dunno specifically. But it's not always a matter of talent. Some players execute fundamentals better than others (stick on ice ready to send or receive, keep passes to no longer than one line in length (distance blue to red or less), better at getting oneself open i.e.; find the passing lane by reading the coverage better. Routes taken matter....

I'll bet Vegas has better billiards players on their team too....

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY

Wtf
Perhaps they're thriving in an environment of little expectation as an expansion team in their first year.

While the Sabres players just came off of a year that was supposed to be the start of their big turnaround that blew up in everyone's faces. Plus their poor play effectively got everyone involved fired and stirred rumors of dissention in the locker room.

Not that it's right, but I'm guessing the Sabres worst enemy is between the ears these last 4 games. Overthinking things, on and off the ice.

EDIT: not to mention a lot of strong, perhaps conflicting, personalities on the sabres compared to a lot of other teams... with a lot of money tied up in them

Reactions: Chainshot

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Moments ago, Taylor Hall being interviewed btwn periods against the Caps... (down 3 -1)
Interviewer: "you guys made the first 3 games look easy".....
Hall: "1st three games we were playing teams that wanted to run and gun and play aggressive hockey. Washington plays a more structured game...."

Implications for Buffalo are pretty evident. You can want to play a run and gun 5 man attack style but if you don't have the players whose skill set support that (or they are not ready or sufficiently trained to do so), it's not going to automatically happen.

I would take from his comments as the way they want to play now is more successful against run and gun teams. Since another of the 3 teams they beat while "making it look easy" was the Leafs. A team few would argue don't know how to or don't have the players to play "run and gun".

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Watching Nashville-Chicago. Rutta and Kempny are better than just about everyone on the Sabres blueline. If only...

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I remember reading that eichel modeled his game on Toews and Kopitar, among others. He might want to add Matthews to that list. The kid just has so many different ways to put the puck in the net.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad