Around the NHL 2017-18: Stanley Cup Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
My Draft Year was the 1999 draft which turned out to be a pretty ugly class (Lol) so by default it's the Sedins. Martin Erat led the Predators to Filip Forsberg so that's cool.....?????

As for Cally, haven't seen Tampa play but no offense from his so far per the stats. I said per the trade in 2014 that I fully expect five years from then that he's back with the Rangers in a role similar to Ortmeyer/Graves or will be at the Garden all the time. Tampa is pretty much going to buy him out after this season and he'll probably get a PTO from Buffalo or Colo and then be out of the league by 2019.

The general feeling with Callahan was that the loss would sting for a couple of seasons, but that his body was going to do downhill fast beyond those two years. For the most part, that's what happened.

If anything, the decline has been steeper and faster than I expected.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
The general feeling with Callahan was that the loss would sting for a couple of seasons, but that his body was going to do downhill fast beyond those two years. For the most part, that's what happened.

If anything, the decline has been steeper and faster than I expected.

Yeah, those 5'10'' 5'11'' guys who play physical tend to not have long careers. Similar to Eddie Johnstone who played for the Rangers in the late 70s/early 80s, and even our "friend" Tyler Kennedy who is still a very young man is only 32 and completely out of hockey.

I'll always root for Cally and hopefully he can stick around as a 4th liner and PKer for another year or two. Wouldn't mind to see him come back here even for $500K to help the transition to a new core.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
As for Cally, haven't seen Tampa play but no offense from his so far per the stats. I said per the trade in 2014 that I fully expect five years from then that he's back with the Rangers in a role similar to Ortmeyer/Graves or will be at the Garden all the time. Tampa is pretty much going to buy him out after this season and he'll probably get a PTO from Buffalo or Colo and then be out of the league by 2019.

Tampa won't buy him out till maybe the final year of his contract. To make room for the Kucherov raise. They don't need the cap till then. As per his play, He has been playing like his old self. Nothing to show for it, but he is not getting PP time , and his line has no playmaker. Very hard to produce. Last season when he had the hip setbacks, I would of agreed with you. But they screwed up his surgery. Which is why he missed most of last season. But the way he has looked think he has at least a few more years left in him, even if it is a bottom 6 role.

Right now he is being pushed to the bottom 6 over a Yanni Gourde who is getting his offensive ice time like on the PP and he only has one assist in 7 games. Cally has outplayed him but nothing to show for it. Cally's center is Cedric Paquette where plays die on his stick. So not easy to produce with that kind of center. So it's not about his performance, but how his injury from last season and a half had set him back in the line up. He did hit over 14 mins last game, and think he will see more and more ice time, he looks hungry out there. 5 SOG last night, and making his typical Cally hits and has been a beast on the boards. That is the Callahan we all knew from his prime Rangers days. His speed is also back. He is creating shorthanded chances, and is able to get back fast now to defend. Things that did not happen last season and a half because of the hip.

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
Speaking of Callahan, I was looking up who the first round draft picks that the Rangers traded to Tampa became out of curiosity and they're Josh Ho Sang and Anthony Beauvilier. Isles ended up with both picks.

Good to see Cally back to speed though. Always liked him as a Ranger.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Speaking of Callahan, I was looking up who the first round draft picks that the Rangers traded to Tampa became out of curiosity and they're Josh Ho Sang and Anthony Beauvilier. Isles ended up with both picks.

Good to see Cally back to speed though. Always liked him as a Ranger.
Yeah, it's something I try to forget. :/

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Reactions: Nickmo82

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Sure that 5-1-1 record sounds great. Must be nice to have kucherov carry the team again...

It's not just Kucherov though. Have Brayden Point who has been excellent, and Stamkos has been good as well. Tampa also has 4 lines that can all score and possess the puck very well. Special teams are both very good, guys like Palat, Johnson, Callahan and Killorn raising the bar on the PK. Also, Vasy has been very good keeping them in games. It's been a team effort not just the Kucherov show.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
My draft year was 1998. Favorite pick selected 171st overall was Pavel Datsyuk. Favorite Ranger pick was Kloucek.

I'm still bitter at Ron Low for playing him with the sprained MCL when he tripped over himself in warmups vs. the Devils (the game that Guy Hebert stood on his head). Beginning of the end for him.

The team was so dysfunctional then, it was either rush all the young guys or hold them back too long.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
AV guest coaching the Ducks for the 2nd.
haha. And the coach of the team Bleu blanc rouge is the one many Ranger fans wanted here last year. Thank goodness he went to montreal and not here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->