Around the NHL 2017-18: Stanley Cup Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
The more I think about it, and the more I look at it, man is that Johansen contract horrible.

He's really, like, not very good.

"Stepan is overpaid blablabla" haha. Just shows you how inflation works even in the NHL. Higher salary cap, higher cap hits. Johansen looks like a lot right now, but in 3 years, if the cap increases the way it has been doing, will be a good deal

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
I've seen this process up close.

>Derek Jeter is amazing at baseball and also happens to play a leadership role on a dynasty

>With these coinciding events, the media markets him as God's gift to professional sports

>In response to the media slobberfest, everyone begins to conjure up whatever criticism they can throw at Jeter as to why he's overrated.

>The thing grows and grows until Jeter was "never that good" and "nothing more than an above average shortstop in a big market"

>In a fit of maniacal rage, everyone forgets that Jeter is amazing at baseball

It's the same story with Toews.

That's a really good comparison, actually. Both Jeter and Toews demonstrate you can be overrated while still being an incredibly good player. And in both cases, the media is 90% to blame for the whole fiasco.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Saw this being talked about a little on twitter, didn't know how often its been talked about here, does anyone think the Hossa "season off because he's allergic to his pads" is very questionable with him now going on LTIR? Maybe its real, I don't pretend to know, but there doesn't seem to be all that much evidence put forth by Hossa's camp about it. What if Marc Staal developed airplane sickness and had to go on LTIR? Would the NHL allow it for us?

When I saw the news initially when it was announced, I didn't think much of this, but reading up on this now, it looks like the Hawks might've once again cheated their way out of having to play by the salary cap rules.

Last edited:

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
There's no question that something smells funny with Hossa's sudden "allergies". Thought it as soon as it was announced. The story is almost so unbelievable that it's believable. To me, it's clear cap circumvention.

This really needs to be fixed in the next CBA. Get rid of the 35+ contract rule and limit the number of NTC's and NMC's a team can hand out. Chicago has like 10, it's absurd.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I would imagine the NHL doesnt just give the Blackhawks an automatic okay for this.

IIRC, they have to approve LTIR because of the potential abuse of it.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Kaprizov signed a new 3-year contract with CSKA. Said he didn't have contracts with the Wild organization since after WJC. I wonder Minnesota would be willing to trade his rights.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I hope Boston trades him just so I can get a good laugh

If they trade him for Duchene, they are crazy.

THE BIG WHISTLE

Heave-Ho
Feb 16, 2012
By the beach
Saw this being talked about a little on twitter, didn't know how often its been talked about here, does anyone think the Hossa "season off because he's allergic to his pads" is very questionable with him now going on LTIR? Maybe its real, I don't pretend to know, but there doesn't seem to be all that much evidence put forth by Hossa's camp about it. What if Marc Staal developed airplane sickness and had to go on LTIR? Would the NHL allow it for us?

When I saw the news initially when it was announced, I didn't think much of this, but reading up on this now, it looks like the Hawks might've once again cheated their way out of having to play by the salary cap rules.
Staal doesn't need to develop anything. He's playing with one eye and still sometimes suffers from PCS. They could put him on LTIR and no one would say a word.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
It literally says why in the tweet.

Because a hashtag fully gives insight into that. Please. If they're trying to trade him, they're going to not shoot themselves in the feet, but blast themselves with anti material at point blank. Pay him. Losing him for anything short of a fairly large overpayment is suicide for the Bruins brass

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
Quickly looking through the Duchene thread, he is being MASSIVELY overrated.

Avs fans want top 5 value for a low end #1C who wants out and is coming off a bad year

Good luck with that.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Because a hashtag fully gives insight into that. Please. If they're trying to trade him, they're going to not shoot themselves in the feet, but blast themselves with anti material at point blank. Pay him. Losing him for anything short of a fairly large overpayment is suicide for the Bruins brass

I mean it's true though. An inability to get Pastrnak under contract, whatever the differences are, would be the reason the Bruins would trade him.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
Quickly looking through the Duchene thread, he is being MASSIVELY overrated.

Avs fans want top 5 value for a low end #1C who wants out and is coming off a bad year

Good luck with that.

Duchene is one of the most overrated players on HFBoards. Almost every reasonable trade proposal on the forums is turned down these days because of the narrative that is following him around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->