Around the NHL 2017-18: Stanley Cup Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
The Devils are running on fumes. They remind me so much of the 05-06 Rangers. It's ironic because that year the Devils snuck in and won the Division the last week when the Rangers were in first all season...payback time ;)

Canes are doing all the right things roster wise, except they have really crappy goaltending.

Canucks are assembled like an EA video game: a bunch of B-level players just thrown together with no rhyme or reason. Them and Vegas should be in the same boat but Vegas either got really lucky, or it must be the weather.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
A lot of the second and third liners looking for new contracts this season will probably demand a NTC to protect against being picked up by Seattle. Rangers are in a good place because most of their core guys will be on ELCs. Georgiev might be the problem here.

Reactions: bl02

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
A lot of the second and third liners looking for new contracts this season will probably demand a NTC to protect against being picked up by Seattle. Rangers are in a good place because most of their core guys will be on ELCs. Georgiev might be the problem here.

This has the makings of an interesting tidbit as Hank will be one year from UFA but they may need him to agree to waive his NMC to protect someone like Georgiev

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I've been very impressed with Georgiev, but I think we're a ways away from worrying about him being claimed in the expansion draft.

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
It's absolutely laughable how bad the Canes still are. They fool me every ****ing year. They go on a mid-season streak of 20 games where they go like 13-6-1. Then I start thinking "Hey, it seems like Carolina has turned a corner. They could really make the playoffs. Good for them, I always liked how their team was made up."
And as soon as that happens, they go back to completely sucking, losing like 20 out of the next 30. I can't imagine how frustrating it must be for their fans.

Scott Darling is having one of the worst goalie seasons since the big lockout.

The guys he's surrounded with on the list are mostly players from 2005-2008 too where the average save % was around .901 and .909. In 2018 its .913. Scott is rocking an .885

#Generational

Last edited:

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge

This could potentially have major implications on how the Rangers treat Andersson and Chytil. If Seattle is drafting in 2020, and LA and FC play in 18-19, and 19-20, they need to be protected. If they hold them out for the 18-19 season, they'll be ineligible to be selected.

I doubt the Rangers hold out these guys from the NHL next year because of this, but, it's a thing.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
This could potentially have major implications on how the Rangers treat Andersson and Chytil. If Seattle is drafting in 2020, and LA and FC play in 18-19, and 19-20, they need to be protected. If they hold them out for the 18-19 season, they'll be ineligible to be selected.

I doubt the Rangers hold out these guys from the NHL next year because of this, but, it's a thing.
Does it matter if they're in the NHL or not? Isn't it just pro seasons?

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I guess it depends what quantifies a pro-season.

Does an AHL year where the ELC slides count?
A pro-season usual quantifies GP during the particular season, so I don't think the ELC sliding would affect it.

That being said, I'm not 100% sure.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I guess it depends what quantifies a pro-season.

Does an AHL year where the ELC slides count?
I would imagine so, but these terms are always defined differently for different purposes. If it doesn't count, then they'll be exempt regardless, right? First and second year pros are exempt, so if this year doesn't count because of the slide, there's no way they can get three years between now and June 2020.

Reactions: silverfish

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I would imagine so, but these terms are always defined differently for different purposes. If it doesn't count, then they'll be exempt regardless, right? First and second year pros are exempt, so if this year doesn't count because of the slide, there's no way they can get three years between now and June 2020.
Yeah you're right. Tambellini was exempt last year despite two AHL seasons that counted on his ELC.

Me - dumb
You - smart

So I guess the question remains if an ELC slides, does the year count? Because if no, then, well, they'll need protection regardless.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Yeah you're right. Tambellini was exempt last year despite two AHL seasons that counted on his ELC.

I find that very confusing. How does this make me right?

So I guess the question remains if an ELC slides, does the year count? Because if no, then, well, they'll need protection regardless.
It's tough to find precedent because there's not a lot of AHL players that get a contract slide.

You mentioned 2020, I assumed it would be 2019. Has there been any talk about the year or are both of us just guessing? How long did Vegas take from the time they were announced?

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014

Me - dumb
You - smart

I'm actually glad you brought this up, so it could have been clarified. It's good to know that we can operate with two "free" roster spots after the next expansion draft

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I find that very confusing. How does this make me right?

You said if this year does not count, that LA and FC would be exempt regardless. You're right. If this year doesn't count, they'll only have two pro seasons (2020 draft), and are therefore exempt. We still don't know if this current year counts though. If it does, then it doesn't matter, they'll need protection.

You mentioned 2020, I assumed it would be 2019. Has there been any talk about the year or are both of us just guessing? How long did Vegas take from the time they were announced?
I've seen 2020 as the date being reported, but I don't know if there's anything official yet.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
You said if this year does not count, that LA and FC would be exempt regardless. You're right. If this year doesn't count, they'll only have two pro seasons (2020 draft), and are therefore exempt. We still don't know if this current year counts though. If it does, then it doesn't matter, they'll need protection.

I've seen 2020 as the date being reported, but I don't know if there's anything official yet.
Yes, I don't know why on re-reading that I thought Tambellini shouldn't have been exempt.

Would make sense if it's 2020, because the Knights came a year later than I thought they would, too.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Looks to me like our guys would be eligible for a 2020 expansion draft.

Kerby Rychel:
2014-15 ELC slide - played in AHL
2015-16 regular pro season
2016-17 regular pro season

And he was eligible for the 2017 expansion draft.

edit: Ryan Pulock is another example of this.

Last edited:

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Looks to me like our guys would be eligible for a 2020 expansion draft.

Kerby Rychel:
2014-15 ELC slide - played in AHL
2015-16 regular pro season
2016-17 regular pro season

And he was eligible for the 2017 expansion draft.
But what happens if we force another ELC slide year?

And I'm asking this purely out of curiosity, not suggesting the Rangers hold them out of the NHL for another year in order to save a protection slot in 2020, before somebody jumps on me for the thought.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
For Rychel to be eligible, wouldn't ELC slide years in the AHL have to count? So it wouldn't matter if they slide or not.
Oh f***, I'm sorry. We've already established that two AHL years that count did not require protection. So the fact that Rychel, who slid twice, still required protection, shows us that ELC slides don't matter.

Once again:

Me - dumb
You - smart

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Oh ****, I'm sorry. We've already established that two AHL years that count did not require protection. So the fact that Rychel, who slid twice, still required protection, shows us that ELC slides don't matter.

Once again:

Me - dumb
You - smart
Let's get this expansion process rolling!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad