Around the NHL 2017-18: Stanley Cup Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The more I think about it, and the more I look at it, man is that Johansen contract horrible.

He's really, like, not very good.

Reactions: Ola

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
He has had 4 straight 60+ point seasons. He was tied for 17th of all centermen last year in points.

He also has 13pts in 14 playoff games last season and has something like 27 points in 34 career playoff games.

He's a first line player.

EDIT: That being said I don't think I'd pay $8MMx8years for him.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
60 points isn't exactly impressive when you play 18 minutes a game and practically never leave the ice on the powerplay.

Peter Laviolette absolutely slams powerplay minutes down the guy's throat.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
60 points isn't exactly impressive when you play 18 minutes a game and practically never leave the ice on the powerplay.

Peter Laviolette absolutely slams powerplay minutes down the guy's throat.

I would think as a coach youd want your best players in the ice for a good portion of the PP. Also he wasn't even in the top 50 in average PP time per game.

Not to mention he's one of the better face off men in the league.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
He's still produced 1.74 p/60 at 5v5 the last three seasons.

Rangers ahead of him during that time: Zuccarello, Kreider, Hayes, Miller, Zibanejad (including Ottawa), and Oscar ****ing Lindberg.

That's not 1C even strength production.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Also while I'm on my unpopular opinions: Jonathan Toews might be the most underrated player on HF.

Like, yeah his contract sucks and the media treats him like Gretzky, but on here -specifically on here- people act like he's Jeff Toms.

Forget all the Blackhawks and Team Canada ****. Pro-rate his stats til he's say, 37 or 38, and he's a Hall of Famer without ever even playing a playoff game.

If he plays his next 500 games at his career averages -.10 PPG for aging, he'll be at 437/565/1002 at 35 years of age, with probably 3-4 so-so years left to go.

Last edited:

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Also while I'm on my unpopular opinions: Jonathan Toews might be the most underrated player on HF.

Like, yeah his contract sucks and the media treats him like Gretzky, but on here -specifically on here- people act like he's Jeff Toms.

Forget all the Blackhawks and Team Canada ****. Pro-rate his stats til he's say, 37 or 38, and he's a Hall of Famer without ever even playing a playoff game.

If he plays his next 500 games at his career averages -.10 PPG for aging, he'll be at 437/565/1002 at 35 years of age, with probably 3-4 so-so years left to go.
He played a prominent role on all those successful teams. He is arguably a top 3 player at the international level - based on his résumé.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I've seen this process up close.

>Derek Jeter is amazing at baseball and also happens to play a leadership role on a dynasty

>With these coinciding events, the media markets him as God's gift to professional sports

>In response to the media slobberfest, everyone begins to conjure up whatever criticism they can throw at Jeter as to why he's overrated.

>The thing grows and grows until Jeter was "never that good" and "nothing more than an above average shortstop in a big market"

>In a fit of maniacal rage, everyone forgets that Jeter is amazing at baseball

It's the same story with Toews.

Glennsoe

Horndog
Jan 7, 2011
From the business page of the main board:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/montreal-canadiens-charge-fans-physical-season-tickets-1.4216814

Yikes..

More on this new trend;

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/b...-good-paper/b5mT8JeUTqF3LkrvrwJbrM/story.html

Paper is in peril. The digital world creeps more insidiously into our lives each day, making ink on paper increasingly less important, expected, desired.

Exhibit A in the sports world: the Montreal Canadiens.

The Habs just the other day notified their season ticket-holders that they won’t print tickets for the upcoming season (please, Bruins fans, don’t let go of your CH voodoo dolls just yet). Instead, Les Glorieux loyalists will have their tickets zapped directly to their smartphones. Arrive at the Molson Centre, flash the phone, and . . . Allez Habs!

Paper tickets in La Belle Provence have gone the way of a Guy Lafleur slapper off the wing.

Digital doesn’t work for everyone, of course, because, shock of shocks, not everyone in Quebec owns a smartphone. Not to worry, the Habs will accommodate. For a fee of $172.46 (tax included) per seat, Canadiens customers can have their season tickets in hard copy. Then there’s another $100 (plus taxes) in administration fees, standard for all Habs season-ticket accounts. Total cost, two season tickets, hard print: $477.14, or roughly $5 per seat per game.

Last edited:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Never thought Toews wasn't a great player. At this stage of his career though he's not quite an elite player. There are intangibles. He finds a way to come up big in big games. Cap hit aside I would love him on the Rangers. Cap hit not aside--we couldn't afford him.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
I've seen this process up close.

>Derek Jeter is amazing at baseball and also happens to play a leadership role on a dynasty

>With these coinciding events, the media markets him as God's gift to professional sports

>In response to the media slobberfest, everyone begins to conjure up whatever criticism they can throw at Jeter as to why he's overrated.

>The thing grows and grows until Jeter was "never that good" and "nothing more than an above average shortstop in a big market"

>In a fit of maniacal rage, everyone forgets that Jeter is amazing at baseball

It's the same story with Toews.

Really good analogy. Toews is definitely underrated around these parts. His contract is abysmal, though.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Sheary and Niederreiter are A+ team deals.

Especially Niederreiter. Kreider is a very comparable player and I would give Kreider 5.25 like yesterday. You could make the argument that Niederreiter is a little better.

Well done by both GM's.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Speaking of, Kreider becomes a free agent in July 2020.

Until then he's signed at 4.6 for the 17-18, 18-19, and 19-20 seasons.

If those three seasons are anything like 16-17, it has the potential to be one of the best contracts in the league.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Why waste your time with deHaan when you can trot out Seidenberg, Boychuk and Pelech?

Leddy silently weeps if deHann leaves.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
Just as a comparison.

Boychuk 33yo - 5 more years @ 6M
Shattenkirk 28yo - 4 more years @ 6.65M

I know its been beaten to death but that Shatty contract is soooooo good

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
I'm intrigued to see Dallas this year. Really nice additions with Bishop, Radulov and Methot. Last year was pretty much a lost year for both Sharp and Hudler (wouldn't mind signing him cheap since Tkachyov fell through) who are both now gone. Honka could be a full time NHLer plus both Lindell and Faksa could break out. I'd kinda be surprised if they miss the playoffs even if the central division is STACKED. In a few years their D could be really nice looking. Heiskanen/Klingberg, Lindell/Honka. Lots of Fins

Last edited:

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Just as a comparison.

Boychuk 33yo - 5 more years @ 6M
Shattenkirk 28yo - 4 more years @ 6.65M

I know its been beaten to death but that Shatty contract is soooooo good

So so true. We got very fortunate Shatty wanted to wear a Ranger unie more than he wanted to cash in at this point in his career. Thing is, if he plays like we all expect him too, he'll still cash in 4 years from now.

Sure Shatty wanted to play for us badly but JG's negotiating skills cannot be understated. Magnificent job by JG. We are very lucky to have him as our GM...how's that for an understatement? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->