Around the NHL #15 - Ovie is Not a Choker Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Wait, Ontario and Quebec are considered Central Canada? That's really weird. Quebec literally hits the eastern waters that bound the country.

I suppose if you use median location of the population, then it makes sense. I guess in the same way that Europe is considered part of the western world despite being geographically mostly in the eastern hemisphere.

But from a pure location-based point of view, Manitoba is definitely in the centre of Canada. Heck, they're in the Central Time zone for a reason.

Anyway, this is a bit of an odd tangent. I get the point MM was making. I was just thinking initially that he was referring to there only being three Canadian teams in the Western Conference, which of course there aren't.

Reactions: Method Man

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

View attachment 98519
Source: Canada.ca's region/geography page

Apologies for piling on, but that video is one of my favourite go-tos... any chance I get to bring it to relevance, I will.

This is the first time I've ever seen Quebec listed as anything but east.

When I think western Canada, I think BC, AB And SK. I thought that was pretty common.

@Volica what the f*** does hating a city (it's their fans I hate btw) have to do with viewing it as located as central rather than west?

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I'm from Winnipeg, and I've always considered it to be "central". It's pretty much smack dap in the middle, and it's the only city that actually connects the provinces together.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'm from Winnipeg, and I've always considered it to be "central". It's pretty much smack dap in the middle, and it's the only city that actually connects the provinces together.
this is exactly what I was getting at

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
@Volica what the **** does hating a city (it's their fans I hate btw) have to do with viewing it as located as central rather than west?

IT has to do with the notion that they are not the same as us. It'd be like if I hated Vancouver, so I said it's not a Western Canadian city, they're a Pacific City.

I've always used:
Western Canada (BC + Prairies)
Eastern Canada (Ontario + Quebec)
Maritimes (the other 4 provinces)
Territories (the 3 territories)

I've never seen other people use something different.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
IT has to do with the notion that they are not the same as us. It'd be like if I hated Vancouver, so I said it's not a Western Canadian city, they're a Pacific City.

I've always used:
Western Canada (BC + Prairies)
Eastern Canada (Ontario + Quebec)
Maritimes (the other 4 provinces)
Territories (the 3 territories)

I've never seen other people use something different.
I've Personally always considered:

West: BC, AB, SK
Central: MB and Western ON (going a little east of Thunder Bay)
East: Eastern ON, QC
Maritimes: PEI, NS, NB, NFLD
Territories: YK, NT, NU

I think much of is it the relation to the US, when the SK/MB border is about the midpoint (east-west) of the US, I find it difficult to think of that as "west".

Reactions: Dack

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Onto other topics rather than the discussion of the geography of Canada :laugh:

Main board sensitivity is at an all-time high. So far, in the past week I've been called out for:

Preferring Steven Stamkos over Auston Matthews as of right now; while having been complimentary of Matthews in process.
Saying a 4th round pick was fair value for someone like Nikita Soshnikov; in which my argument was that most teams have a depth option like this so this wasn't amazing value or something for Toronto.
Preferring Tkachuk over Marner; in which my argument was you have similar offensive upside but one brings more to the table.
Saying Johnny Gaudreau's Sophomore season when he had 78 in 79 was as good of season as Auston Matthew's rookie season when he had 69 in 82, albeit 10 more goals (4 more primary points).

The Leafs faithful on this forum is becoming unbearable :laugh:

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
First off, that video was awesome.

Secondly, if you want to get into semantics, the mid-point of the Trans-Canada highway is just outside of Winnipeg. It's as close to an east-west middle as middle can get.

Thirdly, I've already shown the geographical centre of Canada, most of the places we're talking about here are either south-west or south-east.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I've Personally always considered:

West: BC, AB, SK
Central: MB and Western ON (going a little east of Thunder Bay)
East: Eastern ON, QC
Maritimes: PEI, NS, NB, NFLD
Territories: YK, NT, NU

I think much of is it the relation to the US, when the SK/MB border is about the midpoint (east-west) of the US, I find it difficult to think of that as "west".

I mean, that's fair. Different strokes I guess.

For Canada, I always just look at the distance from nearest bigger Canadian city/Tourist location in terms of driving on the Trans Canada. More or less it's 3-3.5 hours city to city or tourist spot. If you go to Vancouver and drive East, you'll hit a bigger city often, between the two provinces you'll hit a bunch of tourist areas depending on the path you took. Once you hit hit Calgary, it's like, Medicine Hat (3 hours), Swift Current (2 hours), Moose Jaw (1.5), Regina (1hour), Bradon (3 hours), Winnipeg (2hours)... then it's like... 8 hours to Thunder bay, 7.5 to Sault St Marie, 3 hours to Sudbury, 3.5 to Toronto.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I mean, that's fair. Different strokes I guess.

For Canada, I always just look at the distance from nearest bigger Canadian city/Tourist location in terms of driving on the Trans Canada. More or less it's 3-3.5 hours city to city or tourist spot. If you go to Vancouver and drive East, you'll hit a bigger city often, between the two provinces you'll hit a bunch of tourist areas depending on the path you took. Once you hit hit Calgary, it's like, Medicine Hat (3 hours), Swift Current (2 hours), Moose Jaw (1.5), Regina (1hour), Bradon (3 hours), Winnipeg (2hours)... then it's like... 8 hours to Thunder bay, 7.5 to Sault St Marie, 3 hours to Sudbury, 3.5 to Toronto.
Like you said, it is different strokes. I do find it interesting that there are so many ways to view something that seems as simple as "the middle"

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017

Main board sensitivity is at an all-time high. So far, in the past week I've been called out for:

Preferring Steven Stamkos over Auston Matthews as of right now; while having been complimentary of Matthews in process.
Saying a 4th round pick was fair value for someone like Nikita Soshnikov; in which my argument was that most teams have a depth option like this so this wasn't amazing value or something for Toronto.
Preferring Tkachuk over Marner; in which my argument was you have similar offensive upside but one brings more to the table.
Saying Johnny Gaudreau's Sophomore season when he had 78 in 79 was as good of season as Auston Matthew's rookie season when he had 69 in 82, albeit 10 more goals (4 more primary points).

Thank God most of the oilers brass is in hiding. I don’t think I could handle both at the same time

Dack

Jun 16, 2014

Don't forget that Marner > Gaudreau because Marner was in the NHL at an earlier age and therefore has this amazing untapped potential that will have him winning the Art Ross every year.

Reactions: Mobiandi

crackdown44

Dec 1, 2017
Picture how bad the Arizona Coyotes are.

Now picture a team somehow worse than them.

That team is the Oilers.

18 consecutive goaltender interference calls not called in their favor and the least amount of power plays in the league. Tinfoil hats are out in full force in Edmonton. Not sure about GI but it must be tough to draw penalties when you only have one player fast enough to merit getting hooked or held

Reactions: Cyrano and Dack

crackdown44

Dec 1, 2017
Boston got shit pumped 7-1 last night against Vancouver. They’re going to want a bounce back game Monday night. Yikes

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Iggy's starting to try and get into game shape following his hip surgery.

Iginla practices with Bruins' AHL affiliate - Article - TSN

Unfortunately the timing doesn't work out with the trade deadline coming up quickly so this season will probably be a write off for him, unless he's willing to sign with a team who is making a playoff pushing knowing he wouldn't be eligible for any post-season glory that potentially comes with it.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Iggy's starting to try and get into game shape following his hip surgery.

Iginla practices with Bruins' AHL affiliate - Article - TSN

Unfortunately the timing doesn't work out with the trade deadline coming up quickly so this season will probably be a write off for him, unless he's willing to sign with a team who is making a playoff pushing knowing he wouldn't be eligible for any post-season glory that potentially comes with it.
Unless he signs on deadline day and accepts a conditioning stint

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->