Around the NHL #15 - Ovie is Not a Choker Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
On a different note, it’s pretty sweet that Monahan and Gaudreau cost together what other star players are going to start to get by themselves.
Well you can bet that if Gaudreau still has the same agent in 5 years time that he'll ask the Flames for the moon based on the way contract negotiations went in summer 2016. Can't blame him either since Tre took full advantage of the fact that Gaudreau had no leverage. But that's a future Tre/GM problem I guess.

Reactions: snipetype

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
All I ask is that we beat them just once this season. Otherwise they can always hang their hat on that.
3 of the last 4 games are in Calgary. If we don't even win 1 of them then idk what to say. Would be pretty embarrassing

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I'm just really relieved that we got those contracts done for our two biggest stars. The effect that has going forward is massive. Like, it should presumably affect all the negotiations for our other young guys. Tkachuk can't really ask for $8.5x8 given those contracts. Allows us to be way more competitive and aggressive.

Basically cancels out the Brouwer deal when you consider the money that some other GMs would have locked up Monny and Johnny for.

Reactions: Bounces R Way

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Given how much value Ottawa got from the current Karlsson deal, I don't blame Erik for wanting to make sure he gets a better value next time. Ottawa had a final 4 appearance last year and has overachieved a lot. This will be his last big contract.

I'm also curious at how well liked Turris was in the locker room. If he was a favorite among everyone, trading him might not have sat well with a lot of players. Also with no real future in goaltending set, I'd be curious to see if he'd move on.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
My God the Sabres are so bad. Lost 13 (!!!) out of their last 16. Funny how the more things change, the more they stay the same

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
In fairness the Sabres are implementing a coaching change and new system, and this is after dealing with Disco Dan's coaching, which you basically need them to forget everything they've learned and restart from scratch

Plus Murray was building a team he wanted to lose to tank, so there was no semblance of a winning spirit there. Buffalo will need time to gain back respectability.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
It is funny though, I mean Vegas.. They don’t have an Eichel or McDavid and yet are finding ways to win. You hear this all the time, but it’s a game of inches, and if you do all the little things right then you give yourself a chance. Some teams just don’t make the sacrifice.

Yes I just quoted Any Given Sunday.

Reactions: OvermanKingGainer

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
Ducks and Sharks road back to backs vs good teams tonight could gain some ground in the division tonight with a win

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
I think when Getz and Kesler return, Henrique will move to the wing and play in the top 6. Because Vermette is no slouch as a #3C
He isn't but Vermette is slowing down a bit. I wouldn't be surprised to see them have him as 4C at least for a while, that's a top 4 C group that's scary

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
He isn't but Vermette is slowing down a bit. I wouldn't be surprised to see them have him as 4C at least for a while, that's a top 4 C group that's scary
With Eaves gone long term, Henrique is likely his replacement.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Unless the Flyers pull off a Game 7-esque comeback in the third against the Bruins, they will have lost 10 games in a row.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Schenn may not be a true all star but he was valuable there. Other teams focus so much on Giroux, Couts, Voracek and Simmonds, having that depth made it harder to shut down the Flyers. Not that that's the only reason they're losing, but it certainly doesn't help.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Congratulations to Paul Byron on his first career Hat Trick.

I wish our management/coaching were as good at evaluating talent as I am but alas.
If they were as good as you we would have a 8 point #1C and 2 of our top 4 defensemen wouldn't be good enough to find NHL jobs.

So basically we'd make Arizona look like a good team.

But keep patting yourself on the back.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I never get Flames fans fascination with Paul Byron. He is a bad hockey player, having him on our team any of the last 3 seasons make our team 0% better than what we are or have been.

There was a reason why he has had to go from one year minimum deal to one year minimum deal, was waived through the league and was a healthy scratch for multiple games.

He is force fed minutes in Montreal but every once in a while he gets a little lucky and Flames fans seem to come out crying about missing this loser. It makes zero sense.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I never get Flames fans fascination with Paul Byron. He is a bad hockey player, having him on our team any of the last 3 seasons make our team 0% better than what we are or have been.

There was a reason why he has had to go from one year minimum deal to one year minimum deal, was waived through the league and was a healthy scratch for multiple games.

He is force fed minutes in Montreal but every once in a while he gets a little lucky and Flames fans seem to come out crying about missing this loser. It makes zero sense.

I miss him because he was an incredibly fast player with a strong defensive game. He is something this team is severely lacking. Our PK would be much better with him still here.

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB

Okay, as annoying and wrong as OKG may be about Flames legend, Lord Paul Byron, your post is also wrong (though to a lesser extent). Byron isn't a great NHLer, but he's alright. I don't think he would have added much to make any major change with Calgary if he wasn't waived, so I agree there, but that doesn't necessarily make him a bad player. Neither does him being on one-year deals with our team. He wasn't waived "around the league" either, he was waived and got picked up.

Byron gets overrated by certain members of this board, treating him as if he's the second coming of Theoren Fleury, but it isn't like it is the exact opposite and he's a terrible hockey player. He's a decent bottom six guy who has finally figured out how to score on a breakaway once going east. I don't know why people have to deify or loathe Byron the way they do, it's stupid how far and how often discussion on Byron has gone.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
He wasn't waived "around the league" either, he was waived and got picked up.

He was passed by 27 of the 29 teams (with it being highly unlikely Anaheim picks him up) and Montreal that did pick him up did so in large part to Kassian just having a DUi and them not having enough time to figure out a better option. I mean they loved him so much that they sat him for 8-10 games once he got there.

So technically he didn't get waived through the league just through 28 or 29 teams and needed a guy getting a DUI to get picked up by the other team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad