Around the League XXXIV: Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
This is a baseless counter-factual.

1) Fighting has never been banned so we have no idea what will happen if it's gone.

2) Fighting doesn't exist in most leagues other than the NHL, and is heavily penalized with misconducts and suspensions when it does happen in those leagues. There is no endemic of cheap-shots in other leagues.

3) The idea that players need police themselves is an indictment of the referees. If refs called the rule-book, the cheap-shots would go away.

4) Gudas is getting suspended. If you think that's not enough of a deterrent, then suspend him longer.

Fighting is not this deeply important element of hockey. Even Ken Dryden, who #PlayedDaGame pointed out in his book that fighting in the 70s was very rare, and provides the numbers to back it up. It wasn't til th 80s, when teams started wasting roster spots on goons did it become common. The NHL made fighting a part of the game in very recent history by a) failing to call the rules effectively and consistently and b) by bringing in players that bring nothing but fighting to the table. Fighting became a way for low-skill plugs to keep their jobs, and they did everything in their power to fight as much as possible to make their jobs seem valuable.

Thankfully, the NHL is doing the right thing and doing it smartly. They're never going to outright ban fighting, there'd be too much blowback from meatballs in the media and fans.

So they're just eliminating fighting gradually with rule changes in the feeder leagues, making equipment like visors (and eventually full face shields, book it) mandatory, etc. In not too many years, the league will be full of kids who have never fought, aren't comfortable fighting, have no interest in fighting... and the game will be far better for it.

I understand why Gretzky believes fighting is important. Because he played in a time when it was common.

Just because something was does not mean it need continue be. We can evolve. We can improve. We can correct that which sullies the game.

Why do you continually mock this the way you do? There are instances where having played the game absolutely makes a difference, and as far as I know, you did play some, so why continually mock it? You just come off like an ass.

I'm not disagreeing with anything in this post, honestly. I'm just curious as to why you think that someone having played will not view things differently, or in more detail, or have better insight into the game, or even just a specific situation, than someone who hasn't, to the point you actually mock those who have played? I mean, shit like that is unnecessary, and is why people get so frustrated with you. You come off so arrogant all the time, and it takes away so much from anything you ever post.

Reactions: plank

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Why do you continually mock this the way you do? There are instances where having played the game absolutely makes a difference, and as far as I know, you did play some, so why continually mock it? You just come off like an ass.

I'm not disagreeing with anything in this post, honestly. I'm just curious as to why you think that someone having played will not view things differently, or in more detail, or have better insight into the game, or even just a specific situation, than someone who hasn't, to the point you actually mock those who have played? I mean, **** like that is unnecessary, and is why people get so frustrated with you. You come off so arrogant all the time, and it takes away so much from anything you ever post.

Mostly because 'those who have played the game know/would know' is brought up so much in arguments, and not as a means to bring insight, but as a means to silence. To say, 'your opinion is invalid because you never played the game'.

Which is stupid. That's why I mock it incessantly. It's not necessarily aimed at anybody in particular, just the general sentiment. Hell half the time it's self-mocking, as in I throw it out when I bring up a player's position on something. Because it coming from a player doesn't make it anymore right or true for my position either, I probably just happen to think it's either intelligent or well-spoken. Like in this case with Dryden.

It would be fine if people cited their own anecdotes of events that happened, how they felt and responded when they were playing hockey. Those are interesting, even if they are purely anecdotal. Those would bring some insight or perspective.

But most people generally don't. They don't add insight from their having played with specific anecdotes or anything, they just use playing experience at various levels as a sweeping authority for their positions and an attempt to undermine opposing views.

And not just here. Everywhere. I use that hashtag all the time, on various forums (Reddit, Twitter, etc). Again, it's just me poking fun at a general sentiment that runs rampant in hockey communities.

Last edited:

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Mostly because 'those who have played the game know/would know' is brought up so much in arguments, and not as a means to bring insight, but as a means to silence. To say, 'your opinion is invalid because you never played the game'.

Which is stupid. That's why I mock it incessantly. It's not necessarily aimed at anybody in particular, just the general sentiment. Hell half the time it's self-mocking, as in I throw it out when I bring up a player's position on something. Because it coming from a player doesn't make it anymore right or true for my position either, I probably just happen to think it's either intelligent or well-spoken. Like in this case with Dryden.

It would be fine if people cited their own anecdotes of events that happened, how they felt and responded when they were playing hockey. Those are interesting, even if they are purely anecdotal. Those would bring some insight or perspective.

But most people generally don't. They don't add insight from their having played with specific anecdotes or anything, they just use playing experience at various levels as a sweeping authority for their positions and an attempt to undermine opposing views.

And not just here. Everywhere. I use that hashtag all the time, on various forums (Reddit, Twitter, etc). Again, it's just me poking fun at a general sentiment that runs rampant in hockey communities.

Fair enough. I always try to provide the reasoning behind why I state it, when I do, particularly with my own experiences. And I don't use it all that often. I just know for those who do try to use it correctly, or respectfully, it's a slap in the face to them too.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
The Little Caesars Arena is amazing. Season tickets at club level with food and drinks.

Chelios now doing pregame. The center scoreboard and LED ceiling are amazing.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Damn iPhone pic has too large of a file for uploading.

Stadium is almost empty just before teams taking the ice. Tragic.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
The Vezina pretty much always goes to the goalie with the most wins, unless the SV% and GAA stats are just overwhelming.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
Matt Murray just left the game and couldn't put any weight on his leg. That would be terrible for the Pens if he misses considerable time as they're currently on the outside looking in on a playoff spot.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
DPnhyTlUEAAghOP.jpg

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I don't care about Buffalo being where they are but it is dissapointing seeing EDM and ARZ are where they are. They were supposed to improve on their respective seasons last year and they haven't.

ARZ just isn't good enough yet and EDM has too much fat on their roster. The Hall for Larsson trade was very good IMHO but signing Lucic was a very obvious mistake from the beginning. They have no bottom 6 and am underwhelming defense.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I don't care about Buffalo being where they are but it is dissapointing seeing EDM and ARZ are where they are. They were supposed to improve on their respective seasons last year and they haven't.

ARZ just isn't good enough yet and EDM has too much fat on their roster. The Hall for Larsson trade was very good IMHO but signing Lucic was a very obvious mistake from the beginning. They have no bottom 6 and am underwhelming defense.

They shouldn't have traded Hall.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014

Oh, I disagree with this entirely. I don't think Larsson helps you on D anywhere near as much as Hall helps you on O. I don't mind trading O for D, but you better get at least something close to equal impact back.

But yes, paying 10mil for the likes of Lucic and Kris Russell will hurt your ability to compete.

I said at the time they signed Drai, paying 8.5mil for a guy who scored 3 5v5 goals away from McDavid all season on the pretense of him playing 2C and on the basis of two hot rounds in the playoffs, was a risk. So far he's played wing for McDavid and wing for RNH, and barely played center, and has been inconsistent at best.

The Eberle for Strome trade terrible too. If you want Eberle gone for cap reasons, fine, you can get more than a career 3rd liner for a 25 goal a year guy.

At the end of the day though, most of this comes down to Talbot. He was a top 5 goalie the last 2 seasons and he's having a terrible season thus far.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
They shouldn't have traded Hall.

And @JaegerDice

Larsson spent a lot of years looking really good in NJ and was being groomed to be a top pairing guy. It's not like they traded Hall for a Murphy-caliber potential. If EDM didn't make that trade everyone would be melting down on them for not making a major trade to address the lackluster defense and shake up their losing culture.

Eberle spent the last two years apparently being a disappointment. They should've got more for him but he's another remnant of their losing culture with a cap hit they no longer wanted. Apparently RNH may be moved for similar reasons.

I agree that the Draisaitl contract was a dumb one.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Flyers continue to falter with 9th straight loss tonight

Hextall thus far has been unimpressive as GM (That Schenn trade has been brutal for them) and Hakstol isn't good coach who is overmatched in NHL

And goaltending still sucks in Philly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad