Around the League XXXIV: Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Montreal radio has been saying for awhile that he's looked bad pushing left to right, so they were guessing his left knee/hip/groin.

Haven't been paying that much attention to him to be honest. That podcast I posted awhile back that listed the top 10 goalies had a really interesting conversation about how much goalies hide as far as pain and injuries. Like, anything they can play through, even if it's not in their best long-term interests, they tend to.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Montreal radio has been saying for awhile that he's looked bad pushing left to right, so they were guessing his left knee/hip/groin.

Haven't been paying that much attention to him to be honest.

He looks completely off. Hips are bad news for goalies.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Hockey players play through. It's part of the fabric of the game, even when it's a detriment to the team. Was it against Boston that Hossa was out there on one leg? I get not wanting to let the team down, but man, Mayers would have brought more than Hossa at that point.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
The Preds just blew a 3-0 lead all in 10 minutes to start the 3rd to the Kings.

LA is a really fun, exciting team. They're everything we want our Hawks to be but aren't.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
The Preds just blew a 3-0 lead all in 10 minutes to start the 3rd to the Kings.

LA is a really fun, exciting team. They're everything we want our Hawks to be but aren't.

They are, though I think they're playing over their heads at the moment. Kopitar isn't going to be shooting 25% all year, Brown isn't going to be shooting 15% all year, and eventually the loss of Carter will create matchup problems for them.

But until then, I agree, they're a fun team to watch. If they can draft well the next few years and phase out the guys that worked in the Sutter system for more skilled guys, they can probably be a cup threat again in short order.

It IS amazing what a coach with a modern, progressive mindset can get out of his talent.

And how little a dinosaur can squeeze from his talent pool.

TheSting

Jun 22, 2015
Damn, when will the Oilers get past their funk? So much expectation this year. Down 3-0 to the Red Wings at Home.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Holy ****. A 3-way trade in the cap era NHL.

And Ryan Johansen and Kyle Turris down the middle in NSH is going to be a paaaaaaain in the ass.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
To OTT: Duchene
To COL: A NSH Dman, my guess (Maybe Josi?)
To NSH: Turris

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Nash got Turris for not very much at all and got a lot better. GREAT!

anigif_enhanced-buzz-4133-1409080510-21.gif

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Turris is very much a Nashville player. He'll be "good" for them. Duchene is the game breaker that team needed. They still have went from Eh down the middle to damn solid over the last year.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Nashville can run Johansen, Turris, Jarnkrok and Bonino down the middle.

**** me that is good.

kuzy

Mar 31, 2012
St. Charles, IL
Well dang, the central division is becoming tougher and tougher. Everyone besides minnesota is a potential playoff team at the moment, and they're not exactly far behind

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Nashville is definitely scary. They have Fabbro in the pipeline still, are strong and fairly young down the middle. Got Turris for the next 6 years at a fair AAV and didn't have to give up Ekholm to get their 2C.

Josi was crazy talk JD.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Nashville is definitely scary. They have Fabbro in the pipeline still, are strong and fairly young down the middle. Got Turris for the next 6 years at a fair AAV and didn't have to give up Ekholm to get their 2C.

Josi was crazy talk JD.

The talk for months was that Colorado wanted a young dman for Duchene, I figured that was the whole reason NSH was involved. And I figured they'd move the most overvalued of their Dmen relative to performance (he was arguably their worst D through the playoffs despite getting softer deployment than the Subban-Ekholm pair).

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Wow I just looked at Ryan Johansen's numbers are he is looking shitty. Shooting a lot less and only has 7 assists for 8.0 AAV (3 coming on the PP). It is early but they need way more production than that from him.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
The talk for months was that Colorado wanted a young dman for Duchene, I figured that was the whole reason NSH was involved. And I figured they'd move the most overvalued of their Dmen relative to performance (he was arguably their worst D through the playoffs despite getting softer deployment than the Subban-Ekholm pair).
Yeah but it's wanted said all along Sakic wanted young Dmen.. not near prime but young. Ekholm and Josi always seemed way too old for what the specific talk Sakic wanted was and Girard may be a tinge under what experience he wanted but the exact point, young and showing good play.

I just never thought the 27-28 year old range is what any rumor of what Sakic really coveted was near.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Craig Custance's new book, where he sits down with a bunch of NHL coaches (both former and current) and watches a signature games with them, and gets them to explain their thinking, both generally and specifically regarding those games, is very good.

The chapter where he sits down with both Torterella and Sullivan at the same time is a highlight. They go through the disaster coaching together in Vancouver, Sullivan coming to Chicago, then heading to PIT, Tortorella interviewing for several jobs before getting the Rangers job and telling several teams 'Mike Sullivan is the guy you want, not me', and going over things they learned from each other. It's great reading.

There's a chapter on Q, but honestly, just like the weak attempts at NHL 24/7 series on the Blackhawks, he's so tight-lipped about the important stuff, that you barely get more than he's a player's coach that goes out of his way to make sure his guys enjoy playing for him. Cute story about Adam Burish during the 2010 run though. He got him to do scouting reports for the team or their opponents each round (and by the accounts in the book, they were in depth and well done), but made him deliver them via playing guitar and rewriting lyrics to tom petty covers, lol. But it was an example of how he made a guy that was basically contributing nothing on-ice, feel like he was a huge part of the success anyway when he got to lift the cup.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Craig Custance's new book, where he sits down with a bunch of NHL coaches (both former and current) and watches a signature games with them, and gets them to explain their thinking, both generally and specifically regarding those games, is very good.

The chapter where he sits down with both Torterella and Sullivan at the same time is a highlight. They go through the disaster coaching together in Vancouver, Sullivan coming to Chicago, then heading to PIT, Tortorella interviewing for several jobs before getting the Rangers job and telling several teams 'Mike Sullivan is the guy you want, not me', and going over things they learned from each other. It's great reading.

There's a chapter on Q, but honestly, just like the weak attempts at NHL 24/7 series on the Blackhawks, he's so tight-lipped about the important stuff, that you barely get more than he's a player's coach that goes out of his way to make sure his guys enjoy playing for him. Cute story about Adam Burish during the 2010 run though. He got him to do scouting reports for the team or their opponents each round (and by the accounts in the book, they were in depth and well done), but made him deliver them via playing guitar and rewriting lyrics to tom petty covers, lol. But it was an example of how he made a guy that was basically contributing nothing on-ice, feel like he was a huge part of the success anyway when he got to lift the cup.

How has Burish's analysis been? The few games I've seen I haven't watched any of the between-periods stuff.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
How has Burish's analysis been? The few games I've seen I haven't watched any of the between-periods stuff.

I think he's been pretty good honestly.

Like Konroyd, I think the kissy faces he's making at the 4th line can be over the top at times (and feel very much like a message the FO has told them to carry out, much in the same vein as the nonsense Foley and Edzo have spouted over the years regarding players the Blackhawks want pumped or dumped on), but beyond that he's been good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->