Around the League XXXIV: Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
It wasnt intended as an 'I told you so' to you or anybody here.

More of a 'well yeah, what else is new, Price has been papering over obvious problems for years'

The first paragraph and second paragraph are essentially the same. “I told you so” and “Duh” come off the same way.

It yes, Price has masks some huge issues for a long time. Imagine him with an average D...

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Remember when the Leafs were crushing everything in their path? A bad defense and average goaltending is holding that team back. I love Zaitsev and Reilly/Gardiner are really nice puck movers, but that team badly needs a top pair guy that's more mountain than Tornado.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Toronto fans are going to be so unbearably obnoxious when it happens, but I honestly could see them getting either Doughty or Karlsson.

Of all the hometown kids that were supposedly going to come home to Toronto, only Doughty has been out there publicly saying things like 'every ontario kid dreams of playing for the Leafs'.

And Ottawa won't pay Karlsson what he wants or other teams are willing to, they have an internal cap. Meanwhile Toronto can back up the brinks truck and bury what contracts they need to on Robidas island.

TheSting

Jun 22, 2015
Price looks real bad. I watched the highlights and half those goals vs. Minnesota were softies with Price way out of position. CC let's in those types of goals the Crawford haters on this board would be all over him, LOL.

Price is feeling the pressure of that contract

Last edited:

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Toronto fans are going to be so unbearably obnoxious when it happens, but I honestly could see them getting either Doughty or Karlsson.

Of all the hometown kids that were supposedly going to come home to Toronto, only Doughty has been out there publicly saying things like 'every ontario kid dreams of playing for the Leafs'.

And Ottawa won't pay Karlsson what he wants or other teams are willing to, they have an internal cap. Meanwhile Toronto can back up the brinks truck and bury what contracts they need to on Robidas island.

Sallllllaaarrryyyy Cap. TML can't fit either of them

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Sallllllaaarrryyyy Cap. TML can't fit either of them

I think they can. None of the contracts that are actually on their cap are unmoveable. All their players are fairly priced to performance, or their contracts are up within the next 2 years.

If it comes to it, they would certainly move one of the upcoming Nylander or Marner contracts to accomodate either of those Dmen, though I doubt it will prove necessary.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheSting

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I'm just happy that the era of superstar players getting mega contracts as soon as possible is happening now and not back at the start of our sovereignty run. Having Toews and Kane locked down at $6.3 million apiece was crucial for our second and third championship runs. Had they been at $10ish million from the get go, we wouldn't remotely have had the flexibility needed.

That's going to hurt Edmonton's and Toronto's chances for one championship, much less multiple.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I'm just happy that the era of superstar players getting mega contracts as soon as possible is happening now and not back at the start of our sovereignty run. Having Toews and Kane locked down at $6.3 million apiece was crucial for our second and third championship runs. Had they been at $10ish from the get go, we wouldn't remotely have the flexibility needed.

Yep.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
I'm just happy that the era of superstar players getting mega contracts as soon as possible is happening now and not back at the start of our sovereignty run. Having Toews and Kane locked down at $6.3 million apiece was crucial for our second and third championship runs. Had they been at $10ish million from the get go, we wouldn't remotely have had the flexibility needed.

That's going to hurt Edmonton's and Toronto's chances for one championship, much less multiple.

Yeah.

Both have advantages, assuming the Oilers and Leafs follow-through on the underlying philosophy of 'pay your stars through their prime, pay them less on their next contract'. If the Oilers and Leafs re-up these guys for 10mil+ after these contracts are finished, they'll have got the worst of both options.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL

It changes the game for sure. I almost feel bad for them.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Yeah.

Both have advantages, assuming the Oilers and Leafs follow-through on the underlying philosophy of 'pay your stars through their prime, pay them less on their next contract'. If the Oilers and Leafs re-up these guys for 10mil+ after these contracts are finished, they'll have got the worst of both options.
In eight years when Matthews is 29 and a ppg talent, he's not taking a paycut. The salary cap structure is changing. The middle class will feel the squeeze.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Yeah, superstars will get two paydays instead of just one going forward. If you're a bottom line or pairing guy willing to work for the league minimum, you're going to be in demand so long as you're functional in the coming years.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
In eight years when Matthews is 29 and a ppg talent, he's not taking a paycut. The salary cap structure is changing. The middle class will feel the squeeze.

Well, McDavid is special.

But I would definitely NOT pay a guy the same or more money from ages 29-37. Not when it's clear that peak performance among the majority of forwards is 24-26.

Unless they're generational freaks, let'em walk. Let other GMs pay top dollar for decreasing returns.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
McDavid got paid upfront. Eichel got paid upfront. Matthews will get paid upfront. That's the new standard for superstar franchise players, like it or not.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
It's a fluid market. There's no more RFA discount until somebody plays hard ball with a star, and that's never a war a team wants to have. The second third and fourth tier guys will have to absorb the hit, or be willing to sign short term deals.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
McDavid got paid upfront. Eichel got paid upfront. Matthews will get paid upfront. That's the new standard for superstar franchise players, like it or not.

I agree. I'm just interested to see how all their next contracts are handled.

That said, I think the Eichel contract was nuts. You didn't win a Hart, you didn't win a Calder, your team hasn't even shown any significant improvement since you've been there, and you pretty publicly got your coach fired (not that he shouldn't have been fired anyway, but a player basically going public with his refusal to play for a coach is...something).... here's 10mil.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Watching the Sens-Knights game and they're talking about a 3 way deal that fell apart last night with Duchene to the Sens Turris to Nash and futures to the Avs.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
It now appears that Carey Price was possibly playing hurt? Hrudey just outlined his movement: side to side as slow, and his lack of focus at times .... and he isn't dressed tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad