Around the League XXXIV: Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

helicon1

Jan 4, 2010
I haven't listened to the ESPN one yet, but i love Puck Soup with Wysch and Lozo. I think they are funny but it isn't always just hockey.

Biscuits, is another good one with Lozo and Sean McIndone (down goes Brown). It's a little more serious although they like to complain about the league.

I'm interested in hearing everybody's podcast recommendations too. Partly agree with your comments about Puck Soup. I find both Wysh and Lozo incredibly smug , and disagree with many of their actual hockey opinions, but it can be pretty funny and entertaining at times. Although I do like the other Wysh podcast, Marek vs. Wysh. The Down Goes Brown guy's negative charisma kills Biscuits for me. Only listened to the first 2 or 3 episodes of it though, so maybe it gets better?

PDOcast is another one, although it's pretty hit or miss. The host is a complete cipher (which is fine), so it depends on the guest really. The podcasts with the more established, professional guys (Marek, Custance, Johnson), or even a guy like Tyler Dellow are usually pretty good. The ones with random twitter analytic guys are often terrible though. They're generally knowledgeable about the team they follow, but it's no more insightful than a random thread on the HF Edmonton or Winnipeg boards.

There's a handful of Hawk specific podcasts too of varying quality.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I can see how Wysch can come across that way, but I generally like him. Lozo is the guy who find hysterical. His humor is right up my alley. Puck soup is as much entertainment/comedy as actual hockey insight so depending on what your looking for, it might not be your thing.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I don't dare to dream, but Hoffman would look pretty good in a Hawks jersey.

Stone would look even better, but it would take a hell of a lot more than Kempny+ to get him.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Hoffman is a pipe dream, IMO. Pageau seems more realistic.

That's actually a really intelligent move I hadn't thought about. Pageau in a Kruger role could work and help free up lines 2 and 3 for more scoring against weaker competition.

Whatever the move is, if it happens, it better not be Kempny for one of Ottawa's trashy not-Karlsson Dmen. Their entire Dcorps outside EK is a wasteland.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
We need scoring, where-ever it comes from.

You slot in Hoffman on the 3rd line, you move Sharp down to the 4th line or (even better) slot him in at 3C.
You don't pay what it takes to get a guy to play him on the third line, especially when you've got issues that are more important that can be filled cheaper.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014

In Belesky's 2014-2015 UFA year, he had a sh% of 15.2%, far and away the highest of his career.

This will not be the last time a GM is taken for a ride by an unsustainable sh%.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Speaking of podcasts it looks like Friedman and Marek are teaming up to do one.

Oh man, I can't wait for that!

I will listen to anything with Jeff Marek. I just hope Friedman gives him the room to go onto tangents about everything from pro wrestling, to eastern philosophy, a la the MvsW days.

Last edited:

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
I am watching the Senators Alumni Classic Game at Parliament Hill in Ottawa(on t.v. here in Ottawa on the local Rogers cable channel 22 ) ..Team Alfie leads team Phillips 3-0 still 8n the first period ...Goals by Alexandre Daigle..Mike Fisher and Laurie Boschman (assist by Alfredsson)...H Martin Havlat (team Phillios) hit a post and Patrick Lalime flopped on the rebound for team Alfie...Chris Neill who just retired is on teM Phillips. .He got stone by Kline on a penalty shot. and he lije Havlat hitva pist ...So coukd be 3-3"but instead 3-0 after 1 for team Alfredsson...Lalime pitching a shutout so far .Pascal Leclerc gave up the 3 goals against team Phillips. .Other notables playing in this game are Norm MacIver (Blackhawks assistant GM) ...Alexei Yashin. ..Wade Redden...Nagnus Arvidsson...Shaun Van Allen...Ron Tugnutt is paying 2 positions for Team Phillips ...in period 1 he played as a forward...In period 2 he has strapped on his goalie equipment as is playing goalie for Team Alfredsson despite wearing g the dark jersey of team Phillips ! Randy Cunneworth is playing in the game...Janne Laukinen ...Rob Murphy...Radek Bonk.

35 former Ottawa Senators are playing in this game ...

ALEXANDRE DAIGLE just scored his 2nd 9o the game ...remember he had 3 seasons of 51 points ...today that gets you $6 million per ..or $10.5 if Stan likes you..

Then Mike Fisher makes it 5-0 ...then 6-0 on a goal by Magnus Arvidsson. .Poor Pascal Leclerc...getting no defensive support. .

Magnificent venue with the Parliament Building in the background..Very Very cold tonight but some light snow has stopped ..so clear now...The scene is beautiful.

Daigle gets the Hatty.

Team Phillips finally gets von the board...goal by Martin Havlat.

THE 1 Ottawa original missing from this game is Marian Hossa..but even if he can pkay just 2 game with the gunk problem,he cannot be in this game because he is on LTIR with the Hawks...not retired.

When Hossa does retire it will be interesting to see which Alumni group he would pkay for if he can manage just 1 special game ..

ALEX DAIGLE scores his 4th goal ofvthe game (asdists by Yashin and Alfredsson.. 8-1 for Alfie over Phillips ..

Gee maybe Q should bring in Daigle to teach our guys how o shoot a puck ...except that Pierre Dorian may be thinking of signing Daigle cause the current Sens team need goal scoring (Lol).

Last edited:

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Back to the Senators Alumni Classic. ..score mow 10-2 for Team Alfredsson over Team Phillips ..half -way in the 3rd period. ..and another goal for Alfie's team just scored by Ray Robitaille ...the Laline males another great save forvTeam Alfredsson ..I think given Ottawa's goalie problems this season ,Pierre Dorion may want to get Laline out of retirement ..but Alfie just scored going the other way ...score now 12 -2 for Alfie's team ...Lalime then makes 4 great saves point blank to keep it a 10 goal lead..but finally they get the 3rd goal by him..Chris Neill got it..GAME NOW OVER ..The snow came down harder through period 3 ..but it was still a greatvshow ...Fun to see all the former Sens players out there again...13 of the formers Sens are living in the Ottawa area..others came from across Canada ,U.S.A .and from Europe to play bin this game ..
1st star has to ve Patrick Lalime ..even ahead of Alex Daigle ...Lalime stopped break-aways...penalty shots and 2 on 1s...He was tge biggest difference ..Daigle with 4 goals should be 2nd star...

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Hossa is a Blackhawk. We didn't extend him and then flip him for Heatley like Ottawa did.

And a scene by scene breakdown of the Sens alumni game makes me feel less goofy for doing the same thing for an IceHogs game.

Rooh

GENERATIONAL TANK COMMANDER
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2017
Some of the dudes on NHLN were talking about potential trades for EK, and Weekes brought up Schmaltz, Seabrook and a 1st for EK.

:laugh:..I would cry if that happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad