Around the League XXXIV: Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Edmonton can be caught. Arizona, Vancouver and evidently most of the Atlantic however is way out of reach. Didn't realize most of that division was in the gutter. Fingers crossed for that lotto pick

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Fantastic stuff here from Justin Bourne.

vc47Qij.png

I'll give Q credit, he was way ahead of the curve as far as emphasizing good stick-work in his systems. He seemed to realize pretty early that a well placed stick can do just as much to disrupt a play as a check, and it can often do so quicker and more effectively, with less likelihood of getting out of position or taking penalties.

Hossa was obviously a freak at it, but when the Blackhawks were at their best, active sticks through the lineup made them a really tough team to play against. Nobody could complete a passing play or a cycle without somebody lifting or checking a stick to get the puck knocked lose and start transition up the ice.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

vc47Qij.png

I'll give Q credit, he was way ahead of the curve as far as emphasizing good stick-work in his systems. He seemed to realize pretty early that a well placed stick can do just as much to disrupt a play as a check, and it can often do so quicker and more effectively, with less likelihood of getting out of position or taking penalties.

Hossa was obviously a freak at it, but when the Blackhawks were at their best, active sticks through the lineup made them a really tough team to play against. Nobody could complete a passing play or a cycle without somebody lifting or checking a stick to get the puck knocked lose and start transition up the ice.

Hossa was a freak at it and Schmaltz is pretty ridiculous as well. Schmaltz is not physical but he win battles with his stick. Fun to watch.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Yeah, saw that a little while ago. Pretty tonedeaf of the Oilers organization to remotely think that would pass the ridicule test.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago

vc47Qij.png

"What the hell does he know?? It's all about the body! Intimidation! Sandpaper! He obviously didn't play the game!"

"He played professional hockey after a four year Division I college career and had an NHL dad."

"....."

Bourne is great. Love his stuff. Have had some chatter with him on Twitter and he's a good dude, good perspectives. Good pick up by The Athletic.

Reactions: JaegerDice

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
"What the hell does he know?? It's all about the body! Intimidation! Sandpaper! He obviously didn't play the game!"

"He played professional hockey after a four year Division I college career and had an NHL dad."

"....."

Bourne is great. Love his stuff. Have had some chatter with him on Twitter and he's a good dude, good perspectives. Good pick up by The Athletic.
Mark Spector trashed him on twitter not too long ago. Ended poorly for him.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
watching Toronto vs Tampa - man these teams can fly out there. such an enjoyable game, the NHL needs more teams like these. 4-3 Toronto right now- Matthews with 3 helpers so far

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
watching Toronto vs Tampa - man these teams can fly out there. such an enjoyable game, the NHL needs more teams like these. 4-3 Toronto right now- Matthews with 3 helpers so far
ya, i remember those days when the Bhawks use to do that.

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
I am going to the Wings game tonight. Coworker has a relative on the team and we are here for biz. I am obligated to cheer for them.....which is hard of course but is easier after the Wings moved east and are no longer a rival. We also get to go downstairs by the locker room after the game to meet him which will be cool.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I am going to the Wings game tonight. Coworker has a relative on the team and we are here for biz. I am obligated to cheer for them.....which is hard of course but is easier after the Wings moved east and are no longer a rival. We also get to go downstairs by the locker room after the game to meet him which will be cool.
well you could cheer for them to loose, it is still cheering. ;)

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Dallas has kinda gone under the radar with how well they've been playing. After a rough start, they've been great through the 2nd half.

I could actually see them coming out of the West. But then, I could just as easily see Nashville or Winnipeg too.

I have very little faith in Vegas to go deep. I dont think they have the gamebreakers to get it done come playoff time.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
what a series of plays in the Isles/Rangers game. Barzal and Leddy flying everywhere out there which lead to a beautiful goal on a sweet feed from Leddy!

Now that Pokka is gone, I can cry even more over Leddy.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
what a series of plays in the Isles/Rangers game. Barzal and Leddy flying everywhere out there which lead to a beautiful goal on a sweet feed from Leddy!

Now that Pokka is gone, I can cry even more over Leddy.
Can't believe Nick Leddy is a -30, I know it doesn't tell the whole story, but man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->