Around the League | No lead is safe in Round 2!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Vlasic, Sturm, Couture, Granlund are their vets. Have $38 mill in cap space. No retention spots for next season. All used up on Burns, Hertl, EK. Need to add short term help. But, going to be a rough ELC years for Macklin.

There’s a chance Couture doesn’t play next season. Vladic is more likely to be a scratch than anything. Sturm…isn’t what we’re talking about. Granlund is one guy, UFA, and terrible until last season. If they are going to bring in Celebrini, you’ll need to insulate him a little.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
There’s a chance Couture doesn’t play next season. Vladic is more likely to be a scratch than anything. Sturm…isn’t what we’re talking about. Granlund is one guy, UFA, and terrible until last season. If they are going to bring in Celebrini, you’ll need to insulate him a little.
Just listed who their 30 year olds were. Not great. Best Vlasic can do is show him how to be a pro off the ice. If Couture can't play, he won't be around as much.

Question is how does SJ go about it?

Going free agent route, like we saw in Van gets expensive in cash, cap space and term because of being a bad team.

Or if you trade for vets whom teams want to clear up space from, say NYI wants to move off Palmeri and JG Pageau, they have 1/2 the teams they can say no to, so will SJ be on their list? Hard to say either. Their team may want to trade them, but they may not want to join a really bad team and endure that kind of losing.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Ron McLean is such a damn clown goddamn just retire already.
"I just want to shout out, Tony-two-dick from Nowhere Yukon, who is watching today from his T-80 calculator. It's his birthday today and I know how much you mean to your community two-dick. Say hi to little Ellie to me.

Coming up after the break, Hurdley will give you the milktoast nonsense highlights of whats going on in Calgary."

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Definitely. Desjardins was shocking at how completely clueless he was. Those HNIC clips are hilarious in the worst way. Good enough coach for kids and "being fair" but good god the fact he genuinely believed that approach would work at the NHL is, again, shocking.
Pretty sure he took the team to a 100+ point season. His line rolling was perfectly suited to an 82 game marathon season.

and perfectly useless in 7 game playoff rounds where the team faces the same opponent repeatedly.

When Green gets into the post-season as an HC, we can start debating if he is WillieD 's equal. I'm not holding my breath.

Make no mistake, I don't think Willie D is an NHL HC. But the fact remains that Green is significantly worse.

Reactions: mossey3535

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
I most happy for Canucks fans, how many of us didn't even realize the draft lottery was today because we're too focused on round 2 of the playoffs? ✋

image.jpeg.695d7f35a69e3d10eb18fed203b1d261.jpeg

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
I'll always argue that Travis Green is a better NHL coach that Desjardins. The difference is Desjardins is a far superior junior and AHL coach. Green fundamentally understands advanced tactics such as line-matching. He just has no idea how to properly implement any sort of system, teach them, or how to use them. He does know what they are, though.

That's like saying CM Punk is a better MMA fighter than Askar Mozharov because Punk knows how to throw a punch.

(They both stink for different reasons.)

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
2 ways to approach filling the roster if you are SJ. Can make trades to pick up vets with 1-2 years left on their contracts for minimal return. Mid round pick or a swap of draft picks and even include an AHL contract. Why? Keeps the term short vs trying to convince free agents to sign with a bad team for the next 3-4 years. They'd want money and term to play there.

Question is whether they end up on No Trade lists now when before, they were a top 5 destination of players who had only a short list of teams they could be moved to.
It would not surprise me one bit if either Tavares or Marner gets moved to Chicago or SJS. Although SJS would be the bigger pull because it's San Jose and they want to be out of the spotlight because the lights were too bright.

Those two teams need good/talented players to play around Bedard and Macklin. I don't think they really care that Marner is a playoff choker as long as he performs in the regular season.

Reactions: mossey3535

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Guentzel completely changed this team, it's crazy.

I'm only half paying attention but it's been a very entertaining game so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad