Around the League | No lead is safe in Round 2!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Given the option, I’ll normally cheer against Boston. It’s not the Bruins specifically, though. I’ll cheer against any sports franchise from that city. All extremely annoying.

I’ll always wish for the Leafs’ failure. It supersedes everything else. So Bruins vs Leafs becomes an easy choice even before you factor in the benefit of Canucks vs Oilers getting Cuthbert.

I’m always going to cheer what benefits the Canucks first even if it means helping a team I dislike.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
That team is in the 2nd round right now if they spend $6 million on Soucy and Cole instead of Klingberg. One of the most devastating signings by a 'contending' team in recent memory.
Klingberg is at $4.15 mill so they could have had 1 of them. Reeves contract is basically buriable, so really no impact on the cap. Just a contract slot for them.
Tavares contract just spent on the wrong area. Can't be to heavy on one area. KC Chiefs at least paid Chris Jones and he was an impact player and got contributions for rookie contract guys in the secondary and have a great Defensive Coordinator to offset the spending on offense.

Leafs don't have that. Thus too much in one area and really, how much better offensively did they get with Tavares over what they had before him?

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
The Leafs’ defense personnel was atrocious this year. Simon Benoit played the 4th most games. McCabe and Brodie were the defacto #2 & 3 guys. That team’s ceiling was set when they decided John Klingberg was the solution.
That team’s ceiling was set when they decided brad treilving was the solution.

Idk how one looks at his work history in Calgary and decides he's the man for a huge promotion to bring your core a cup.

Immediately his first offseason was a joke, targeting all the wrong players with bad contracts, and basically continuing that to the TDL.

They need to clean house, probably including Shanahan, but they won't.
Keefe will take the fall, and he's not great but it's not all on him, too many better coaches available this summer.

Reactions: calnuck

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
like i said pom there’s no result the leafs could have had this year that would have changed your tune on treliving

you drew your line in the sand early.
I’m still sticking to what I said..It came down to game 7..OT..If the Leafs had scored the whole perception would be different right now..It was a coin toss at that point.

Losing your two best players throughout the beginning and end of the series sunk them ..Imagine the Canucks playing Nashville,and Hughes and Miller missing two games apiece.?

Klingberg and Reaves were not good signings.Bertuzzi and Domi signings were as advertised in the first round (especially Bertuzzi).

Last edited:

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I’m still sticking to what I said..It came down to game 7..OT..If the Leafs had scored the whole perception would be different right now..It was a coin toss at that point.

Losing your two best players throughout the beginning and end of the series sunk them ..Imagine the Canucks playing Nashville,and Hughes and Miller missing two games apiece.?

Klingberg and Reaves were not good signings.Bertuzzi and Domi signings were as advertised in the first round (especially Bertuzzi).
No need to imagine. We lost our number one goalie for most of the series and our number two for a while. Those losses were as significant as missing Nylander for a couple of games and Matthews for a couple of games.
And they had all hands on deck for game 7 and still only scored one goal.

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
That team’s ceiling was set when they decided brad treilving was the solution.

Idk how one looks at his work history in Calgary and decides he's the man for a huge promotion to bring your core a cup.

Immediately his first offseason was a joke, targeting all the wrong players with bad contracts, and basically continuing that to the TDL.

They need to clean house, probably including Shanahan, but they won't.
Keefe will take the fall, and he's not great but it's not all on him, too many better coaches available this summer.
Bertuzzi and Domi were precisely the right players to target , and demonstrated that in this years playoffs...At least I can see that Treliving was trying to incorporate some grit and character on a team that had top talent/ zero heart for seven consecutive years.

Trelivings predecessor inherited a 106 point team, and then proceeded to sign Tavares and literally torpedo any chances of the leafs being a SC contender.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I know Leafs Nation is in official mourning....but seriously, did either of these teams make your short-list of Stanley Cup contenders?

In TO, after the 'big four', the depth drops off a cliff. They have basically a journeyman defense, and have gone through three goalies this year. As for the Bruins, they lost a lot of key players from last year's President Trophy winning lineup, and they're also being carried now by two or three guys.

Just couldn't see either team offering much resistance to Florida. But anything is possible, I guess.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
No need to imagine. We lost our number one goalie for most of the series and our number two for a while. Those losses were as significant as missing Nylander for a couple of games and Matthews for a couple of games.
And they had all hands on deck for game 7 and still only scored one goal.
Our best player hands down is Quinn Hughes, if you'd taken him out of two of the Nashville series games (even with Demko/DeSmith healthy)..we lose.

Leafs never really had Matthews (their best player)/Nylander simultaneously healthy.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Our best player hands down is Quinn Hughes, if you'd taken him out of two of the Nashville series games (even with Demko healthy)..we lose.

Leafs never really had Matthews/Nylander simultaneously healthy.
They were missing one of their top 4 forwards in each game. I’d still argue that Demko is more important than losing one top four forward. They had 3 forwards making over $10 million in every game. Forward is an area of strength for them. You have to be able to cover for key injuries. It’s part of the playoffs.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I’d still argue that Demko is more important than losing one of those two in a game. They had 3 forwards making over $10 million in every game. You have to be able to cover for one $10 million guy being hurt in every game.
Agree to disagree..Even in the game (#1) we won, Demko was beaten cleanly on two shots high glove side...Although, in the long haul, I definitely agree with you that Demko is essential.

The entire offence of this team runs through Hughes, he is the catalyst.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Agree to disagree..Even in the game (#1) we won, Demko was beaten cleanly on two shots high glove side...Although, in the long haul, I definitely agree with you that Demko is essential.

The entire offence of this team runs through Hughes, he is the catalyst.
Oh I agree that Hughes is our best player.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Bertuzzi and Domi were precisely the right players to target , and demonstrated that in this years playoffs...At least I can see that Treliving was trying to incorporate some grit and character on a team that had top talent/ zero heart for seven consecutive years.

Trelivings predecessor inherited a 106 point team, and then proceeded to sign Tavares and literally torpedo any chances of the leafs being a SC contender.

Domi and Bertuzzi are UFA's, they have their foot out the door once FA starts. Both are looking for long term deals

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
They were missing one of their top 4 forwards in each game. I’d still argue that Demko is more important than losing one top four forward. They had 3 forwards making over $10 million in every game. Forward is an area of strength for them. You have to be able to cover for key injuries. It’s part of the playoffs.

I don't think Demko was more important at all. His backup Silovs only surrendered 5 goals in 3 games for a 1.7 GA and 9.38 SV%. Toronto isn't replacing Nylander or Matthews anywhere near as effectively with Noah Gregor.

Either way, Toronto is gone. Good riddance. Hate them way more than Boston.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I don't think Demko was more important at all. His backup Silovs only surrendered 5 goals in 3 games for a 1.7 GA and 9.38 SV%. Toronto isn't replacing Nylander or Matthews anywhere near as effectively with Noah Gregor.

Either way, Toronto is gone. Good riddance. Hate them way more than Boston.
That’s because we play uber conservative hockey after Demko got hurt. We take way more chances when Demko is in net for us.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Demko means a lot more to this team then I think some understand. Look at our record when he went down. It isn't just plug in X stats, its the confidence the team plays with and the styel they play with. The team would have scored a lot more with Demko in net, because they trust him more and they would take more chances.

As for the other main debate here, Faque the Leafs... I hated Boston and still don't like them, but most of the players I hated are gone now. I do like Pasta and McAvoy.

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
The absurdity of what came out of Toronto in 2011 has them living in a black mirror episode now - every year, 7 games against Boston in round 1, and blowing a lead in the third :laugh:

In the 2000s all the chatter from out East was about how we couldn't get out of round 2 and our guys weren't "tough enough," meanwhile these clowns get out of round 1 once in 8 years and Hrudy still tries to call Nylander the Gilmour/McDonald of this generation. Bieksa's reaction last night to that was priceless.

It's too funny, and I can't think of a more deserving media group and fanbase for it to happen to.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Demko means a lot more to this team then I think some understand. Look at our record when he went down. It isn't just plug in X stats, its the confidence the team plays with and the styel they play with. The team would have scored a lot more with Demko in net, because they trust him more and they would take more chances.

As for the other main debate here, Faque the Leafs... I hated Boston and still don't like them, but most of the players I hated are gone now. I do like Pasta and McAvoy.

Silov did a magnificent job, and I have no doubt that he'll have the potentials be a franchise goalie.

But when Demko plays, the team looks different, very different. The tempo of the game just changes.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
The absurdity of what came out of Toronto in 2011 has them living in a black mirror episode now - every year, 7 games against Boston in round 1, and blowing a lead in the third :laugh:

In the 2000s all the chatter from out East was about how we couldn't get out of round 2 and our guys weren't "tough enough," meanwhile these clowns get out of round 1 once in 8 years and Hrudy still tries to call Nylander the Gilmour/McDonald of this generation. Bieksa's reaction last night to that was priceless.

It's too funny, and I can't think of a more deserving media group and fanbase for it to happen to.

Gilmour took the Leafs to 2 conference finals series and 4 straight playoff years. Nylander, although while having a pulse against Boston, isn't helping the Leafs in his cause to carry them over the hump.

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
9l4nfIPjfBkXLxge2oT641vhLsjlMaps_XxlemQfMLM.jpg

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Almost everyone in that 711's three dollar big meal commercial were fat people.

"Damn, our nation has a weight problem and we cannot figure out why! Someone help us PLEASE!"

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Go Dallas. I want the big D to advance!

Almost everyone in that 711's three dollar big meal commercial were fat people.

"Damn, our nation has a weight problem and we cannot figure out why! Someone help us PLEASE!"

Rewatched WALL-E this morning. That film summed up where our society is heading...

Reactions: Bojack Horvatman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad