Around the League | No lead is safe in Round 2!

Status
Not open for further replies.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
The common denominators amongst Cup winners tend to be that they have either elite superstar players putting the team on their back or they have absolutely elite goaltending, or both.

Carolina doesn't really have any stars and they have consistently average/mediocre goaltending.

St. Louis are probably the closest thing but they had Binnington go nuclear out of nowhere.
Canes messed up hard when they decided to be cheap and not go for Miller when he was available. I am guessing they would've been much stronger if they have both Miller and Guentzel.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Carolina is winning the series if it's anyone but sheshterkin in the other goal
that's why if you want to contend, you need to add more elite players. Canes decided to f*** around and focus on penny pinching and building depth but not elite depth.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

But that's the thing.

You're never going to win a Cup unless you can beat an elite goalie and as soon as they run into Shesterkin/Vasilevskiy/hot Bobrovsky/Rask they score 1.5 goals/game and lose the series.

We're 4-2 against them over the last 3 years because the can't seem to solve Demko, either.

As soon as they run into a quality team with a great goalie they can't score and they're playing with a big goaltending disadvantage. And it's predictable they keep losing.

If *they* had a Shesterkin or a Demko they could probably go on a deep run playing like this. But they don't.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

Funny thing is, Kotchetkov was only .002% behind Shesterkin in regular season SV% (.913 to .911) and Anderson was at .932 (though with 16 games played).

They've lost three 1 goal games. Despite the apparent shot differential, HDCs for either side are roughly the same across those three games. You could isolate that difference to Shesterkin making one more save than Kochetkov/Andersen on those HDCs, or you could say all of Trocheck + Zibanejad + Panarin + Lafreniere have been better than CAR's best forwards in Aho + Guentzel, or a combination of both. To me, it's still about a talent deficit at the top, which will be very difficult to fix.

Regardless, I expect the Computer Boys to figure it out and still be a factor in the east. That's one franchise that has gotten a lot out what they have had.

Last edited:

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
Marner has a professional immaturity issue.

The fact that he compared himself to a god is really massive warning sign to anyone looking to add him to their roster.

Thats the sign of an ego that is outta control and adding him to your locker room is not gonna result in anything good to happen that's for sure.
If he had actually said that it would be true, but he didn't.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Funny thing is, Kotchetkov was only .002% behind Shesterkin in regular season SV% (.913 to .911) and Anderson was at .932 (though with 16 games played).

They've lost three 1 goal games. Despite the apparent shot differential, HDCs for either side are roughly the same across those three games. You could isolate that difference to Shesterkin making one more save than Kochetkov/Andersen on those HDCs, or you could all of Trocheck + Zibanejad + Panarin + Lafreniere have been better than CAR's best forwards in Aho + Guentzel, or a combination of both. To me, it's still about a talent deficit at the top, which will be very difficult to fix.

Regardless, I expect the Computer Boys to figure it out and still be a factor in the east. That's one franchise that has gotten a lot out what they have had.

Reminds me of that painful 1995 second round loss to Chicago. Three games lost in OT, and one was a 2-0 shutout. Each game close.

Reactions: krutovsdonut

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Carolina don’t have finishers on their team which is kind of ironic considering their system of shooting from all over the ice.

calnuck

Nov 26, 2010
CA
Boston’s so lucky they played Toronto in the first round. Floridas going to cruise to the conference finals

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
Boston’s so lucky they played Toronto in the first round. Floridas going to cruise to the conference finals
Playbyplay guy just said Florida isn’t Toronto they are better defensively which is true sure but Boston can score they did win 5-1 in game 1 in this series.

Reactions: calnuck

calnuck

Nov 26, 2010
CA
Playbyplay guy just said Florida isn’t Toronto they are better defensively which is true sure but Boston can score they did win 5-1 in game 1 in this series.
Fair but to be honest Florida was uncharacteristically awful in that first game. They’ve been taking it to them since.
Only way I see Boston winning is if away man keeps making saves like he just did, holy shit what a glove

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
Fair but to be honest Florida was uncharacteristically awful in that first game. They’ve been taking it to them since.
Only way I see Boston winning is if away man keeps making saves like he just did, holy shit what a glove
Boston had the same happen to them last game too they are better than that defensively. I can see the rest of the series being very tight the rest of the way doesn’t look like much space in this game.

Edit: Maybe spoke to soon penalty trouble for them now double minor. Shots are 23-8 Florida at this point wow.

Last edited:

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Gotta be a typo, tsn says the Boston player got 8 minutes for high sticking lol, did he cause two players to bleed??

Reactions: crazychimp

calnuck

Nov 26, 2010
CA
Boston had the same happen to them last game too they are better than that defensively. I can see the rest of the series being very tight the rest of the way doesn’t look like much space in this game.

Edit: Maybe spoke to soon penalty trouble for them now double minor. Shots are 23-8 Florida at this point wow.
They’re getting destroyed. Series is far from over but I just don’t see a scenario Boston wins the series let alone another game

Reactions: M2Beezy

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
Marchand not coming back looks like. As much as I dislike him for his rat behaviour he is the heart of that team and is quite the player.

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
Man, seeing other teams struggle with SOG in these playoff makes me ease up a bit on the Canucks. Clearly several teams have another gear defensively they can get to where they can absolutely stifle some of the best offenses. That includes our team. We stifled Nashville and Edmonton had what? 18 shots in game 1?

Reactions: crazychimp
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad