Around The League Thread Part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Ovechkin invisible that series. He better pick up his game or it's going to be a cakewalk for Guentzel and the Pens.

Go get that ring Guentzel, wooo.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Also, can't wait to hear all summer how the Leafs are on the brink of a dynasty. Love the media.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
good for them that they have a bright future, but all of you that are jealous, are you willing to suffer a decade of ineptitude and have the horrifying tank season to land where they are?? they are hardly the model franchise. I look at San Jose and St.Louis and I'd rather be their fans. The current state of the Canucks is due to them being competitive for 10 years.

This makes no sense. Marner/Matthews/Hyman/Kapanen/etc were not drafted over that 10 year span, so what is your point exactly? When they actually hired competent management and coaching is when they started to trend upward and jumpstart that rebuild. I'd say they are basically done that rebuild now and are in compete mode.

You'd rather be a fan of a team that is a good regular season team with terrible playoff success? That's your choice. The Sharks have had problems for years and year and years of not being able to get over the hump and they finally did one year and still didn't win. How fun! Now they have an aging core that looks terribly bad in a couple years if they just continue to push for playoffs.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Also, can't wait to hear all summer how the Leafs are on the brink of a dynasty. Love the media.

Why on earth would you have to hear that all summer? Do you live in Toronto or listen only to Toronto sports radio from May-August?

I doubt I'll hear anything about Toronto and if I do I'll probably just turn it off.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Why on earth would you have to hear that all summer? Do you live in Toronto or listen only to Toronto sports radio from May-August?

I doubt I'll hear anything about Toronto and if I do I'll probably just turn it off.

All you have to do is turn on Sportsnet or TSN and it'll be there.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Uhm, this year makes it .... two.

They missed in 2014-15 lol

lol, and how many consecutive years before that one off year? please look at their Win/loss ratio over those years, what about St.Louis??? as a fan I'd rather be with a franchise that is good most of the time then those that lucks out a McDavid, or ones that were the butt of all jokes for many years, to get to where they are, like the leafs. I guess I just look at the entertainment value I got over the years vs the what have you done for me lately type of thinking.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
This makes no sense. Marner/Matthews/Hyman/Kapanen/etc were not drafted over that 10 year span, so what is your point exactly? When they actually hired competent management and coaching is when they started to trend upward and jumpstart that rebuild. I'd say they are basically done that rebuild now and are in compete mode.

You'd rather be a fan of a team that is a good regular season team with terrible playoff success? That's your choice. The Sharks have had problems for years and year and years of not being able to get over the hump and they finally did one year and still didn't win. How fun! Now they have an aging core that looks terribly bad in a couple years if they just continue to push for playoffs.

so how did they end up with Kadri?? how did they acquire Van riemsdyk? are you telling me they are not integral to this current team?? I am just making a point that past value should not be discounted, unless you just started following the team in 2015, the value lost from 2008-2014 is part of a balanced evaluation of a franchise also.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
All you have to do is turn on Sportsnet or TSN and it'll be there.

Ya but why would you watch that all summer? And if it's on, well don't watch.

Like I get that they Leafs dominate but I don't really get the victim complex around here. Do other things if you don't wanna see it / hear about it maybe?

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
lol, and how many consecutive years before that one off year? please look at their Win/loss ratio over those years, what about St.Louis??? as a fan I'd rather be with a franchise that is good most of the time then those that lucks out a McDavid, or ones that were the butt of all jokes for many years, to get to where they are, like the leafs. I guess I just look at the entertainment value I got over the years vs the what have you done for me lately type of thinking.

What does any of that have to do which what I wrote?

You asked how many consecutive years the Sharks had made the playoffs.

I gave you the answer. It was 2.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
so how did they end up with Kadri?? how did they acquire Van riemsdyk? are you telling me they are not integral to this current team?? I am just making a point that past value should not be discounted, unless you just started following the team in 2015, the value lost from 2008-2014 is part of a balanced evaluation of a franchise also.

That just tells you what happens when you have blech management in place - you'll likely get ****.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

How did we acquire Horvat? How did we acquire Boeser? How did we acquire Hutton?

Do you think we were rebuilding in all those years (2012, 2013, 2015)?

You can acquire talent even when you aren't rebuilding.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

Of course they are but a lot of the actual core was acquired under new management. This team was spinning it's wheels until they got players that could actually carry a team.

Matthews
Marner
Nylander
Hyman
Brown
Kapanen
Zaitsev
Andersen

I believe all of these players were acquired under the new management. Kadri, JVR etc are from past years yes, but a big reason why they are where they are is because of the new management and ability to draft the right players.

If the Canucks started a rebuild when they should, they might've been in the same place...with Tanev, Edler, Sedins still in good condition to play.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Ya but why would you watch that all summer? And if it's on, well don't watch.

Like I get that they Leafs dominate but I don't really get the victim complex around here. Do other things if you don't wanna see it / hear about it maybe?

Why would I watch sports highlights/news? Not sure...for information? Updates?

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Why would I watch sports highlights/news? Not sure...for information? Updates?

Well sure but are they going to break into a 30 minute in-depth discussion of the Leafs season in the middle of the Jays highlight package? They don't really do the programming that way. Unless you're watching Sportsnet 24/7 and unable to change the channel I don't think being flooded with Leafs coverage is going to be a big problem until next September.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Leafs are out! Praise be the hockey Gods. I am a more relaxed hockey fan tonight. Now we need the Oilers to lose in round two. Go Sens and Burrows!!!!!

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Except most of that decade was spent not rebuilding.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/news/story?id=4485942

The team didn't really settle on a rebuilding focus until 2015. Yes some pieces were collected prior to then but it's not like they were *rebuilding* for the entire 10 years.

Obviously, when I use San Jose and st Louis as examples you can guess that I am indicating about a way other than a full blown rebuild. A successful retool is a blessing for a franchise. If you are aquaman, you will understand that while fans are clamoring for a complete tear down, you the owner still have to pay bills in those lean years, you the fans still have to suffer through watching the Arizona vancouver snorefest a couple weeks ago. Those are negative value events for the fans.

That said, successful retools like what the wings did last 20 years are hard to achieve, and we just experienced a tragically executed one last 2 years. To circle back to the impetus of my original post, I cannot say that I am jealous of the leafs as a Canuck fan, because it's still to early to say they have a successful team when they haven't advanced beyond quarters for who knows how long. And the final appearance and regular season success is still fresh in my mind.

I'd rather support the Winnipeg jets way of running things if I'm rebuilding.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
To circle back to the impetus of my original post, I cannot say that I am jealous of the leafs as a Canuck fan, because it's still to early to say they have a successful team when they haven't advanced beyond quarters for who knows how long. And the final appearance and regular season success is still fresh in my mind.
The management team that brought that fresh memory in your mind has been replaced by Larry, Moe and Curly. The Laffs actually have some experienced people in their management. Our current guys are "still learning on the job".

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Obviously, when I use San Jose and st Louis as examples you can guess that I am indicating about a way other than a full blown rebuild. A successful retool is a blessing for a franchise. If you are aquaman, you will understand that while fans are clamoring for a complete tear down, you the owner still have to pay bills in those lean years, you the fans still have to suffer through watching the Arizona vancouver snorefest a couple weeks ago. Those are negative value events for the fans.

That said, successful retools like what the wings did last 20 years are hard to achieve, and we just experienced a tragically executed one last 2 years. To circle back to the impetus of my original post, I cannot say that I am jealous of the leafs as a Canuck fan, because it's still to early to say they have a successful team when they haven't advanced beyond quarters for who knows how long. And the final appearance and regular season success is still fresh in my mind.

I'm fine being jealous of the Leafs. They've got a good, young team with the kind of talent I'd kill to see here. The fact that they haven't advanced far in the playoffs in years is irrelevant to this team. This isn't the 2006-2014 Leafs, it's a new group with a talent base the old teams never had. Maybe they never win anything - they'd be like the majority of teams in that case - but their fans are gonna have fun watching them try for years to come I would expect.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Ottawa in 7
Pitts in 6
Edmonton in 7
Nashville in 5

Exquisite

Feb 9, 2016
NYR in 6
head says Pittsburgh heart says Washington in 7
Anaheim in 7
Nashville in 5

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby

First of all, ticket sales are plummeting like crazy. Fans are not idiots, they can see through BS in a snap, which is what Benden had tried to present the fans with in the last three years. Fans never bought it, and most their moves failed in spectacular fashion - either made no meaningful contribution or burdened the team with awful contracts. With more apathy among fans and revenue dropping, how do you think Aquaman would feel?

Secondly, the Leafs achieved more than the Canucks in roughly half the rebuild time - compare with this stupid ass retool we're doing. They have great management and coach, and is an incredibly exciting team to watch. Just look at Nylander Marner and Matthews.

Finally, retool only works if GM is not a bumbling extra pulled off the Three Stooges' set. Also that's based on the fact that the core of the team is still very much competitive. Chicago can do it because they got Kane n Toews plus Keith. Washington can do it with Backstrom and Ovechkin. Pittsburgh can do it because they have Crosbyu Malkin and Letang. Detroit did it for as long as they could but now they are in a bad situation just like us. San Jose and LA are both on the verge as most of the teams' core players are either too old or fell off a cliff in production.

And honestly I don't see how Winnipeg's "rebuild" is a good model. Since they moved to Winnipeg they made the playoffs once in 6 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad