Around the League Thread | Playoffs 🏒

Status
Not open for further replies.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
I imagine hockey will sell out initially in Salt Lake City, because of the novelty and the fact that the only other major league sport in town are the NBA Utah Jazz.

If Wikipedia is to believed, the population of Salt Lake City proper is about 227,000.....and if you include all the suburbs in a 120 mile radius, it tops out at just over 1.24 million. That makes it the 126th largest market in NA. Along with Winterpeg and Raleigh, it would rank as one of the smallest NHL markets.

I can't imagine that Mormonville was the first choice of Bettman and the NHL governors. But I guess the Jazz owner was the only guy on the horizon with a spare billion dollars or so lying around. And the opportunity to put the 'disaster in the desert' behind them was too good to pass up.

And incredibly they haven't ruled another return to Phoenix in the next five years. Seems obvious the owners are addicted to bloated expansion fees, so the watering down of NHL hockey will continue unabated.
A quick search shows the the population of the SLC metro area (including suburbs like Provo and Ogden) is 2.7M people.

Which is remarkably similar in size to the Vancouver-Surrey metro area (2.6M people).

To put it bluntly, SLC is an affluent mostly-white city with a winter sports culture. It’s the NHL’s prime demographic minus the rich hockey-history.

I would imagine the franchise as another ‘Colorado Avalanche’. If they have success sooner than later they will be quickly endeared.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
A quick search shows the the population of the SLC metro area (including suburbs like Provo and Ogden) is 2.7M people.

Which is remarkably similar in size to the Vancouver-Surrey metro area (2.6M people).

To put it bluntly, SLC is an affluent mostly-white city with a winter sports culture. It’s the NHL’s prime demographic minus the rich hockey-history.

I would imagine the franchise as another ‘Colorado Avalanche’. If they have success sooner than later they will be quickly endeared.
Yep. Hockey culture can be successfully transplanted. What's needed is a population base with money, not too much competition from other sports and the proper infrastructure. SLC also has a decent corporate base for sponsorships and ticket base. I actually like their chances of succeeding.

Zammer

Dec 4, 2010
Salt Lake City
Here's a local news article about the potential new arena/upgrades at the Delta Center. There's not a ton of information yet what exactly will happen.

The upgrades/new arena will be paid for with a .5% raise in sales tax for 30 years.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
View attachment 854305
Congrats Clayton Keller, you get to play in a worse arena in your prime.

Welcome to the show.
SLC will likely be building a new facility to house both the Jazz, NHL team and anchor new downtown development/revitalization. That's already in the works with gov't approvals in place to fund it using taxes. Perhaps most importantly....the church supports it.

Maverick Center....seats 2k less than the hockey layout of the Delta Center. Even forgetting about ownership issues etc it makes no sense to short yourself 80+k in potential seat sales over the course of a season.

Last edited:

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
The Salt Lake metropolitan area is much bigger. It's like of like City of Vancouver vs Metro Vancouver. Salt Lake City is a major hub for Delta Airlines. With a good owner and new stadium I think it can work.

Keep in mind that Salt Lake once hosted the Winter Olympics. Salt Lake City and Utah state in general is not poor.

I've spent a lot of time connecting flights in SLC. Sometimes only hours but a lot of 24 hour and day lay overs. I did a lot of touring around (TRAX) and it's staggering how many banks and financial institutions there are. I always joke with my brother about how there is a bank every 3 establishments. The tabernacle and their commitment to extremities is impressive, shocking, and a little scary all at the same time. Yes, they are filthy rich there, and the church is in full control.

To further above, as long as the are committed I can see it being a big success. Lots of opportunity, and has been mentioned a love of winter sports makes this a pretty viable opportunity. Especially if they market this right and get good hockey people there the team is on the verge of being really good too. Could have instant success with a couple good hockey moves.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Rumours swirling the Pegulas are going to sell the Sabres. Apparently going to sell everything but the Bills.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Rumours swirling the Pegulas are going to sell the Sabres. Apparently going to sell everything but the Bills.
Their fans want a more reactive owner that's willing to be quicker in addressing issues.

In a way, a new owner may shake off the complacency and force a situation where management may have to be more reactive. On the other side of the coin...a new manager may be too reactive and inpatient.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Their fans want a more reactive owner that's willing to be quicker in addressing issues.

In a way, a new owner may shake off the complacency and force a situation where management may have to be more reactive. On the other side of the coin...a new manager may be too reactive and inpatient.

Well their co-owner (Kim) has been accused of meddling. Their current GM is about the longest serving GM since the Pegulas took over? They have also changed coaches every 2-3 years. I think it has more to do with competency than not having a "reactive owner" there.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Well their co-owner (Kim) has been accused of meddling. Their current GM is about the longest serving GM since the Pegulas took over? They have also changed coaches every 2-3 years. I think it has more to do with competency than not having a "reactive owner" there.
Kim suffered a cardiac event and has a long ways to go in her recovery. She’s not involved in the Sabres now as far as I understand.

Reactions: Vector

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Kim suffered a cardiac event and has a long ways to go in her recovery. She’s not involved in the Sabres now as far as I understand.

Yes. I'm talking about before. The Pegulas actually tried to buy their way to a championship when they first took over.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Ryan & Ashley Smith are the owners of Smith Entertainment Group (not just Ryan)

The new NHL team will play at Delta Center, which will offer 12,000 unobstructed seats for hockey starting next season.

SEG is not building a new arena. It is one of the options they have but the current plan is to renovate Delta Center and play there long term

The team SEG is getting is not a relocation and it's not an expansion - it's a new franchise

SEG is buying the current players, reserve list, hockey operations department, and draft picks directly from the Coyotes (Alex Meruelo) - not from the league

Ryan Smith has never spoken directly with Alex MerueloHe will be meeting with the players and front office for the first time today

The team is coming to Utah, not SLC, so Utah is the home market (not one set, definite city)

Reactions: Bubbles

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
So the coyotes land in a city that has no concrete plans for having an nhl caliber arena?

Is Fertitia in Houston really lowballing the nhl?

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

The Utah team will play at the Delta Center in Salt Lake City, a facility the Smiths own and which is also home to the Jazz. SEG said it will work on improvements over the summer to outfit the arena for hockey, including building a hockey-specific locker room. According to Smith, the Delta Center will have 12,000 unobstructed seats for hockey games next season and SEG will work to expand after that.

"First of all, [the NHL] wanted to know if the arena can fit 17,000-plus, and that's what we've been able to confirm," Smith told ESPN. "We've got some internal work to obviously do with our city and state, too. I mean, we got a lot more people coming in now, and so we need to build the infrastructure also up and around the arena. That's a really big focus of ours -- so the entrance of the arena just isn't that front door; it's the entertainment around it and that kind of a thing."

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Go Utah Hockey Club Go!

Rolls right off the tongue.

Can't find it but one bit of information is that they may play under a temporary name next season. That's where the Utah Hockey Club would be used. Washington Commanders did this for a season when they dropped Redskins.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013

Those are some WNBA/MLS-ass names.

Garbo.

My fav so far is Yellow jackets, but CLB probably nixes that.
Golden eagles is cool but golden knights and eagles same league is kinda weak.

Glad they're going Utah and not Slc though.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

Good info.

Yep, SLC is a mid-major market in the U.S. and crucially, is growing very fast. Tech/VC industry has been moving into SLC as well and bringing a lot more corporate dollars. Smith by all accounts seems like an enthusiastic and committed owner willing to spend. I don't foresee any issues on the business side. I think they will be quite successful off the bat.

Reactions: BimJenning

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
I've spent a lot of time connecting flights in SLC. Sometimes only hours but a lot of 24 hour and day lay overs. I did a lot of touring around (TRAX) and it's staggering how many banks and financial institutions there are. I always joke with my brother about how there is a bank every 3 establishments. The tabernacle and their commitment to extremities is impressive, shocking, and a little scary all at the same time. Yes, they are filthy rich there, and the church is in full control.

To further above, as long as the are committed I can see it being a big success. Lots of opportunity, and has been mentioned a love of winter sports makes this a pretty viable opportunity. Especially if they market this right and get good hockey people there the team is on the verge of being really good too. Could have instant success with a couple good hockey moves.

Had an interview at SLC for grad school a few years ago. From what I can remember everything is very, very spread out. Nice place though, went to a cool prohibition bar in the city and the area was pretty lively.

Reactions: Nick Lang

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC

The Bills have been contenders since they drafted Josh Allen, their window is still there but it looks to be closing very soon. The Sabres are a mess, they haven't made the playoffs since 2011 and they tried to sign all high priced free agents ever since they took over.

Right after the 2011 Finals, Christian Ehrhoff said he signed with the Sabres because 'this is where we can build and win a championship'. That 10 year contract he signed was a sign he just went there for the money. He produced stank ass for 3 years until he was gone from there.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve

Ryan & Ashley Smith are the owners of Smith Entertainment Group (not just Ryan)

The new NHL team will play at Delta Center, which will offer 12,000 unobstructed seats for hockey starting next season.

SEG is not building a new arena. It is one of the options they have but the current plan is to renovate Delta Center and play there long term

The team SEG is getting is not a relocation and it's not an expansion - it's a new franchise

SEG is buying the current players, reserve list, hockey operations department, and draft picks directly from the Coyotes (Alex Meruelo) - not from the league

Ryan Smith has never spoken directly with Alex MerueloHe will be meeting with the players and front office for the first time today

The team is coming to Utah, not SLC, so Utah is the home market (not one set, definite city)

Devil is in the details. So the league is not a broker? What happened to the 200M relocation fee?

If it's not a relocation than I don't know what they can call this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad