Around the League Thread | Playoffs 🏒

Status
Not open for further replies.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
IMG_0727.jpeg

Congrats Clayton Keller, you get to play in a worse arena in your prime.

Welcome to the show.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Sorry to say but that last game of the Yotes had all the emotion of a wet fart.

Compared to the Jets leaving in 1996, it doesn't even compare. You can really see it in the players leaving. Maybe because there's barely any vets on Arizona?? I don't know.

Reactions: nucks88 and Indiana

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Compared to the Jets leaving in 1996, it doesn't even compare. You can really see it in the players leaving. Maybe because there's barely any vets on Arizona?? I don't know.

Given the way the players have been treated for the last couple of years, getting the hell out of their and having new ownership is more exciting than the status quo.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
View attachment 854305
Congrats Clayton Keller, you get to play in a worse arena in your prime.

Welcome to the show.
This is the reality of Arenas in Non Hockey markets. If they don't expect to have an NHL team, they make it more for BB and concerts. See it in a lot of other arenas. Charlotte, Sacramento, Golden State (though they did ask the Sharks), Indiana, Brooklyn (originally was to be NHL caliber but opted to design it to save $200 mill, but ended up costing them the Isles in the end), and so forth.

Then the next issue is that once an arena has an NBA team, in today's arena management era, the NBA team controls the arena's revenues and NHL clubs can't survive on just hockey only revenues from the arena. Thus, they would need to be purchased by the NBA owner. But, if the NBA doesn't or can't buy an NHL team, they are basically locked out of the market unless they built another arena in a different county.

Reactions: Indiana

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

It’s been a complete shitshow there for so long. They haven’t had stability from the owners, to the arena to the on ice product.

Arizona got screwed over in quite a few ways imo and I’d like to see them with an owner who cares and an arena in a good area and given a shot. It was electric for their WCF run.

Maybe they did need to move but going to Utah does not do anything for me in the slightest. Feels like a step back and a lateral move at best.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It’s been a complete shitshow there for so long. They haven’t had stability from the owners, to the arena to the on ice product.

Arizona got screwed over in quite a few ways imo and I’d like to see them with an owner who cares and an arena in a good area and given a shot. It was electric for their WCF run.

Maybe they did need to move but going to Utah does not do anything for me in the slightest. Feels like a step back and a lateral move at best.
Yeah. Feels like Houston should have been the landing spot. But, I kind of think that Houston won't get a team as Fertitia isn't a hockey fan and only would be interested at a certain price. Felt like a relocation of AZ might be his best shot at getting it lower than what the NHL wants. Plus, with the size of the Houston market, NHL won't give a discount on an expansion price.

Reactions: PG Canuck

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Wow, I didn't realize the Delta Center sight lines were that bad. At least it has more seats than Mullett?
Not only that. The ice was horrific there when the Canucks faced the Kings in a pre-season game in 2018. It's a makeshift ice system....

• Wow
Reactions: Lat

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Seeing the tears on those yotes fans made me sad. In a market where hockey is the least popular sport, being a diehard fan of that team that’s been through a lot of rough years and having to say goodbye is extremely tough. you gotta feel for them. the supporters there are a part of a very small niche hockey fanbase when you put it into perspective compared to other fanbases so it hurts a lot more for them.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
Wow, I didn't realize the Delta Center sight lines were that bad. At least it has more seats than Mullett?

less than winnipeg tho. the coyotes are going from playing in the worst building in the league to playing in the worst building in the league

it's also not a done deal a new building gets built. there's also a group trying to bring mlb to salt lake and the city are going to be reluctant to use public funds for both groups. if you thought the coyotes saga was fun just wait for the sequel!

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
Yup. Which is why the far end looks the way it does.

Who knows if that’s what it will look like next year but it’s made for a basketball game…

What's the biggest problem, it looks funny?

Does it look funny in basketball too or is it just a funny looking stadium?

I would imagine them throwing some decent money at it if it's that obvious.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
IMG_0731.jpeg

This family is something else. Makes so much sense too because the Coyoyes socials went MIA out of nowhere.

What's the biggest problem, it looks funny?

Does it look funny in basketball too or is it just a funny looking stadium?

I would imagine them throwing some decent money at it if it's that obvious.
Well it’s more like what isn’t the problem? Looks like they have to pull back bleachers to fit the rink in, it has terrible sightlines and is basically a junior rink.

This is all assuming this is actually what it will be like, but even yet, they’re playing here temporarily. Sound familiar?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I imagine hockey will sell out initially in Salt Lake City, because of the novelty and the fact that the only other major league sport in town are the NBA Utah Jazz.

If Wikipedia is to believed, the population of Salt Lake City proper is about 227,000.....and if you include all the suburbs in a 120 mile radius, it tops out at just over 1.24 million. That makes it the 126th largest market in NA. Along with Winterpeg and Raleigh, it would rank as one of the smallest NHL markets.

I can't imagine that Mormonville was the first choice of Bettman and the NHL governors. But I guess the Jazz owner was the only guy on the horizon with a spare billion dollars or so lying around. And the opportunity to put the 'disaster in the desert' behind them was too good to pass up.

And incredibly they haven't ruled another return to Phoenix in the next five years. Seems obvious the owners are addicted to bloated expansion fees, so the watering down of NHL hockey will continue unabated.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
View attachment 854326

This family is something else. Makes so much sense too because the Coyoyes socials went MIA out of nowhere.

Well it’s more like what isn’t the problem? Looks like they have to pull back bleachers to fit the rink in, it has terrible sightlines and is basically a junior rink.

This is all assuming this is actually what it will be like, but even yet, they’re playing here temporarily. Sound familiar?

Yeah I kind of see that now. I have no knowledge of the stadium so I've been looking at pics on google.

From some angles it looks like most of the seats would be pretty decent though. They might have to get extremely creative with that one side. It seats 18000 for basketball, which is the NHL average. That's way more than junior.

I think it's better than Mullet Arena. Apparently this guy has tones of money so I'm going to see what they come up with. I think the entertainment value will be there anyway. If they don't get a new arena maybe they get flipped again lol.

What about luxury boxes? How many do they have, they are almost more valuable?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I imagine hockey will sell out initially in Salt Lake City, because of the novelty and the fact that the only other major league sport in town are the NBA Utah Jazz.

If Wikipedia is to believed, the population of Salt Lake City proper is about 227,000.....and if you include all the suburbs in a 120 mile radius, it tops out at just over 1.24 million. That makes it the 126th largest market in NA. Along with Winterpeg and Raleigh, it would rank as one of the smallest NHL markets.

I can't imagine that Mormonville was the first choice of Bettman and the NHL governors. But I guess the Jazz owner was the only guy on the horizon with a spare billion dollars or so lying around. And the opportunity to put the 'disaster in the desert' behind them was too good to pass up.

And incredibly they haven't ruled another return to Phoenix in the next five years. Seems obvious the owners are addicted to bloated expansion fees, so the watering down of NHL hockey will continue unabated.

The Salt Lake metropolitan area is much bigger. It's like of like City of Vancouver vs Metro Vancouver. Salt Lake City is a major hub for Delta Airlines. With a good owner and new stadium I think it can work.

Keep in mind that Salt Lake once hosted the Winter Olympics. Salt Lake City and Utah state in general is not poor.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
a little safer here to speak my mind.

do I feel bad for the Coyotes fans? absolutely. the tears coming down the fans face in, its sad as hell.

but do they deserve a NHL team? absolutley not. the fans in general, joke or serious, have been saying this for like the past 9 years or so, no joke, they have to move this team. For them Arizona to be an auto in if an owner is crazy enough to do so is mind-boggling. As a business owner myself, I cannot understand why anyone would want to invest in a area, that has failed before. It's like you want a 7-11 on the corner of Main and hastings? it's not gonna work out. good luck in Utah.

Reactions: nucks88
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad