Around the League: Capitals and Ovie are Stanley Cup Champions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
But he could have left to another team in free agency for more money.

He opted to stay with his original team, so I never quite understood why some Leafs fans got upset. It’s not as if he went to the Habs or Sabres over the Leafs.

he opted to stay with his original team, which is fine.
but people feel (and the evidence is there) that he was using Toronto to try to get more money.like a lot of people tend to do. he didn't get it, and so he stayed. that's what irks some people . like yes he could have signed with Montreal or Buffalo, for more money, or he could have stayed with Tampa (which he did) for more (or the same amount) of money - that's not the point.

the point is people feel irked that he used Toronto to try to drive his price up. which i don't blame them for

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Yeah, I seriously don't understand what Stamkos did wrong that is illiciting so much ire against him. It's not like he leveraged the Leaf offer and turned his back against them at the last second to sign with someone else who offered him slightly more.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I don't really get the desire for Stamkos in the first place, he's bad defensively and doesn't have another level in the playoffs. If Kessel and Matthews got skewered here, Stamkos would have been run out of town if he was making 9+ with the kind of playoffs he had.

Reactions: OddyOh

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
but people feel (and the evidence is there) that he was using Toronto to try to get more money.like a lot of people tend to do. he didn't get it, and so he stayed. that's what irks some people . like yes he could have signed with Montreal or Buffalo, for more money, or he could have stayed with Tampa (which he did) for more (or the same amount) of money - that's not the point.

the point is people feel irked that he used Toronto to try to drive his price up. which i don't blame them for

Or he’s seriously considered coming to Toronto, but let unimpressed by the teams pitch for him? I don’t think we can say with any degree of certainty that he “used” Toronto because nobody here has any real insight into his or his agent’s intentions

Reactions: stickty111

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Or he’s seriously considered coming to Toronto, but let unimpressed by the teams pitch for him? I don’t think we can say with any degree of certainty that he “used” Toronto because nobody here has any real insight into his or his agent’s intentions

sure that's one way to look at it.
but ultimately, just because you don't see why people would want to be sour on stamkos doesn't mean there aren't reasons why they are. i can see both sides of the ledger here.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007

I'm not bothered by that so much as the fact that the Leafs wanted him (allegedly) and he turned them down. That's all I need to know for Stamkos to be dead to me forever. Especially as a Toronto boy. Shameful stuff. Same reason I'll never really forgive Curtis Joseph.

Not that I really wanted Stamkos anyway. Ultimately I'm glad he took the coward's way.

Reactions: Daisy Jane

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I'm not bothered by that so much as the fact that the Leafs wanted him (allegedly) and he turned them down. That's all I need to know for Stamkos to be dead to me forever. Especially as a Toronto boy. Shameful stuff. Same reason I'll never really forgive Curtis Joseph.

Not that I really wanted Stamkos anyway. Ultimately I'm glad he took the coward's way.

no i get you. stamkos is dead to me too.
like i get that he wants to stay with his team and it makes more sense for him to be on his team, whatever, good for him. however, he did not want to play on my team, and help make a difference here. thus. i don't give a fig newton about him.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
No :stanley: for Stamkos! :pcheer::pcheer::pcheer:

Now, Vegas, make sure Ovechkin doesn't win :stanley: either! :cheer::cheer::cheer:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'm now conflicted who I want to see win. Vegas would be an unbelievable story but the Caps are kind of on the same path the Leafs will be on. Building a powerhouse and not winning in 15 years only to break through and lose to a first year expansion team would be quite painful.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
I don't really get the desire for Stamkos in the first place, he's bad defensively and doesn't have another level in the playoffs. If Kessel and Matthews got skewered here, Stamkos would have been run out of town if he was making 9+ with the kind of playoffs he had.

Stamkos has 0 points in his last 10 elimination games. Imagine if he was Russian!

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
George McPhee's old team vs. Geroge McPhee's new team!

It'd be nice to see Ovechkin get a cup.
I really don't get the Ovechkin love!

He ruined Komarov with that CHEAP SHOT to the HEAD! No penalty, no suspension, NO NOTHING!

Hope he doesn't ever win a Stanley Cup myself!

Reactions: Brown Dog

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I really don't get the Ovechkin love!

He ruined Komarov with that CHEAP SHOT to the HEAD! No penalty, no suspension, NO NOTHING!

Hope he doesn't ever win a Stanley Cup myself!

He’s in the entertainment business and he entertains me. It’s not too complicated.

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
Let’s go Vegas. Ovi is coward on the ice and more importantly of the ice. Bad person all around. Hopefully MAF just cold stones him for all games in the final.

Reactions: Al14

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Stamkos is not worthy to even hold Yzerman's jock strap.

Yzerman: 3 Cups, a Conn Smythe, 8th overall in regular season goals, 6th in overall scoring.

Do you know what people said about him before he won those Cups?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad