Around the League Part 8: Welcome to the league Vegas, and Duchene discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
There's way more to the town than drinking all night and tourist traps. That's such a mistake people make. There's more art/culture/music/food/etc. in New Orleans than almost any town in the U.S. other than say, Chicago, San Fran and NYC. It's probably also the closest thing in the U.S. to an old world European city.

It's got its problems, to be sure. But there's a liveliness and spirit there you don't find many places. Even places like Memphis and Nashville are becoming gentrified safe, lilly-white, over-corporatized shells of what they used to be. I don't care much about living in a town with a Starbucks on every block.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Granted, you can get away from the tourist traps and still be drinking all night.

ff2a7d93-af46-4b80-b251-3710cbf3d9a0_100_h_6.gif

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919
As much as we gripe about Karmanos, at least he isn't Melnyk (Senators owner)
Melnyk is an assclown. What nerve for him to make a sideshow of himself while the Senators are taking part in a centennial event. The irony is that he has the audacity to shit on the fans, when one of them saved his life when he needed a liver transplant.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Either way, not a fan of NOLA. The chow is good but I'm over all night benders and the smell of vomit everywhere.

Then you're doing it wrong.

Here's the New Orleans I know: Mrs. Hank and I in a tiny music club on Rampart a few years back. Like, 9pm on a Tuesday night. Bandstand barely bigger than a closet. Little brass band, 4 guys, playing the hell out of some old dixieland standards. In comes a cop in full uniform, walks up to the bandleader. They bullshit a little bit, and the cop walks onstage, reaches behind the piano, pulls out a case, pulls a trumpet out of the case, plays an hour set with the band, puts the horn back into his case, puts the case back behind the piano, and goes right back out on his beat.

There is no other place like that in the whole world.

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
There's way more to the town than drinking all night and tourist traps. That's such a mistake people make. There's more art/culture/music/food/etc. in New Orleans than almost any town in the U.S. other than say, Chicago, San Fran and NYC. It's probably also the closest thing in the U.S. to an old world European city.

It's got its problems, to be sure. But there's a liveliness and spirit there you don't find many places. Even places like Memphis and Nashville are becoming gentrified safe, lilly-white, over-corporatized shells of what they used to be. I don't care much about living in a town with a Starbucks on every block.

I agree. Aside from NO, Charleston is close to the old world as well IMO.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Then you're doing it wrong.

Here's the New Orleans I know: Mrs. Hank and I in a tiny music club on Rampart a few years back. Like, 9pm on a Tuesday night. Bandstand barely bigger than a closet. Little brass band, 4 guys, playing the hell out of some old dixieland standards. In comes a cop in full uniform, walks up to the bandleader. They bull**** a little bit, and the cop walks onstage, reaches behind the piano, pulls out a case, pulls a trumpet out of the case, plays an hour set with the band, puts the horn back into his case, puts the case back behind the piano, and goes right back out on his beat.

There is no other place like that in the whole world.

IDK. It sounds exhausting. I just go there for work,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad